Goodbye Jesus

Destiny? What destiny?

Huntsvil

Hi all

I am sorry it took so long to get back with a question but life is full with work and family, etc, etc. So here goes.

Do you as an "ex" believe you have a destiny or purpose in this life?

I think of the movie Matrix and the lead character. I can relate to his feelings about what everyone is trying to tell him his destiny is yet he is reluctant to except it as truth. I believe our destiny is unique to each of us and that life is an adventure of discovery toward finding that destiny. Of course, that is because I believe in a devine destiny or purpose given by some greater being to influence the universe. And of course you know by now that I am a believer.

I am just curious and mean no disrespect. I am just trying to understand your motivation to reject the spiritual and embrace, what to me is, I life without purpose. Please don't take that as condemning you. Help me to understand, I am sure some believe in a purpose. And if you do not, well I can except that to.

Peace.

I still have absolutely the same sense of purpose I always had.

As a christian I believed I had a 'calling' to a particular kind of work - I still feel 'called' - only now I know that it was me doing the calling. I am passionate about the work that I do in child protection and I hope that as aresult of the work I do the world will become a better place for some. That gives me a great 'sense of purpose'.

The only difference is that I now place MORE value on some of the other 'purposes' for living that I have, like being a valued and trusted friend, creating fun and love for my kids, things like that - that previously I sometimes felt guilty about prioritising as a christian.

Hi all

I am sorry it took so long to get back with a question but life is full with work and family, etc, etc. So here goes.

Do you as an "ex" believe you have a destiny or purpose in this life?

I think of the movie Matrix and the lead character. I can relate to his feelings about what everyone is trying to tell him his destiny is  yet he is reluctant to except it as truth. I believe our destiny is unique to each of us and that life is an adventure of discovery toward finding that destiny. Of course, that is because I believe in a devine destiny or purpose given by some greater being to influence the universe. And of course you know by now that I am a believer.

I am just curious and mean no disrespect. I am just trying to understand your motivation to reject the spiritual and embrace, what to me is, I life without purpose. Please don't take that as condemning you. Help me to understand, I am sure some believe in a purpose. And if you do not, well I can except that to.

Peace.

Your "two stories" thread I rate as a zero on a scale of 1 to 10. This one here I rate a 10. Sorry I bit your head off in your other thread. I should not have done that regardless.

I don't believe in luck or destinany. I make my own destinany and luck. Life isn't a bed of roses for me but it isn't bad either. I usually accomplish my goals. No superstition needed.

I do feel life is purposeful. Life is interesting. I like college so far.

I enjoy my friendships and I love my girlfriend. I will choose a career that I'm good at and I could care less what I'll get payed so long as I have a car, computer, roof over my head and 3 squares.

As far as life having no purpose by rejecting the spiritual keep in mind that there are heathens here who are spiritual and have thier own perception of higher power. Were not all atheists here you know.

However, I am atheist and I only choose to believe in what I have evidence for.

I see no evidence of a god. I also think that I was brainwashed into believing that there is a god. I think I was fooling myself.

I will say this though. I can be wrong about there being no god. I really don't know either way but I supect there is no god.

God has my phone number and address if he ever wants to stop by. He can let himself in. But he better reveal himself to me like he did with adam, abraham and moses, otherwise I wont notice him. hehe.

Hi Huntsvil,

Firstly, apologies for my previous hostility. There were some real wackos on here last week, potential board wars etc. My response to your 'two-stories' thread was kneejerk-sorry! It read like another 'creation vs science ' thread in the making. Anyway, I'm glad you stayed, and I'll answer you as best I can.

I believe destiny is what you make it. Live life to the fullest, morally and all that. I don't beleive that morality or destiny is a religious condition - it's human one. We all feel empathy, love, hate good and bad. I won't be disappointed if there is nothing afterwards, but if there is well - BONUS.

I've felt spirituality in all sorts of places, both religious and non-religious.

Christians seemed to have claimed sprituality for themselves. I don't equate sprituality as religious experience. While I have rejected Christianity as a way of life, I believe that there is a human spirit that prevails in all of us.

Cheers,

Dave

I am truly touched so far from the response to this question. May I say I have got less than cordial responses in the church to my ideas about the future of christianity. It doesn't shake my faith when they (church) are hard on me cause I answer to God only as He reveals Himself to me. Sometimes I wonder if there is anyone in the church that truly has met God as I have. They say they have but their fruit suggests something different. But I digress and don't mean to sound preachy.

As for my destiny, if you might want to know, I am a song writer. I try'd performing and got great reviews but the stress is something I am having a hard time with. I put myself into each one so personally that it drains me to the point I have to go home and curl up in the dark and try to sleep it off. I wish I wasn't so sensitive, but then I wouldn't be able to write. But I think I am destined to write a great musical, probably prophetic, and I am scared to death what might happen when I do. But to all you former christians I remember the saying...no fear in Christ. So I will set my jaw and tackle it very soon.

Again thanks for being friendly. Gee...I think I've met some knew friends. :grin:

Peace

It doesn't shake my faith when they (church) are hard on me cause I answer to God only as He reveals Himself to me.

I may strongly dislike your tastes in gods, but your statement here I begrudgingly respect.

As far as the churchies go...GIVE EM HELL BRO! Use your heart and mind to search always. You have my support in questioning them. Question everything allways. Say what you think is right while trying to be open minded to others. Thats a hard one for me sometimes but its worth the effort.

As for my destiny, if you might want to know, I am a song writer. I try'd performing and got great reviews but the stress is something I am having a hard time with. I put myself into each one so personally that it drains me to the point I have to go home and curl up in the dark and try to sleep it off. I wish I wasn't so sensitive, but then I wouldn't be able to write. But I think I am destined to write a great musical, probably prophetic, and I am scared to death what might happen when I do. But to all you former christians I remember the saying...no fear in Christ. So I will set my jaw and tackle it very soon.

Again thanks for being friendly. Gee...I think I've met some knew friends. :grin:

Peace

Maybe you are destined for songwriting....OR maybe you just have talent in which case you might as well act like your destined for songwriting. Attitude and force of will are half the battle. I wish you the best.

As far as friends...I'm the kinda guy that would call you bastard to your face while fixing your flat, feeding you a sandwich, or telling you were you can find a job.

Just keep that in mind if I ever have some choice words with you in the future. hehe.

As Zoe said...there are those romantic times that I feel the call or pull of destiny. Logically it's a bunch of bull, but it can be fun to think it at times....and it does make some things seem...poetic I guess. Kinda like movies about satan and such like Exorcist. It's fun to belive in it while watching the movie, but when it's over, it's over.

Hmmm.

If we have purpose for our lives, it doesn't necessarily follow that there would be an afterlife. Heck, even if there is a god, there's still may not be an afterlife, what about that?

Personally I'd like to think there is a reason or a purpose for it all. But even if I fufill it, does that mean I'm entitled to anything? Like answers?

Does living up to one's "destiny" ensure any kind of reward?

Reward may not be in the cards, deity or not.

We've often heard "Life isn't fair".

Who says what comes after will be?

Hmmm.

If we have purpose for our lives, it doesn't necessarily follow that there would be an afterlife. Heck, even if there is a god, there's still may not be an afterlife, what about that?

Personally I'd like to think there is a reason or a purpose for it all. But even if I fufill it, does that mean I'm entitled to anything? Like answers?

Does living up to one's "destiny" ensure any kind of reward?

Reward may not be in the cards, deity or not.

We've often heard "Life isn't fair".

Who says what comes after will be?

I take comfort in the thoughts that we are our brains. No brain no us.

Anything is possible, but if anyone has a destiny, it's not due to a supernatural deity. Perhaps I'm a little more open to the idea than most, but I choose to believe that I am supposed to do something worthwhile in this life. I have experienced luck myself. Do I believe it's the hand of a god? No.

Even if there is no reward at the end, I hope to leave something behind for others to enjoy and to make life a little more pleasant. My lifelong dream is to become a professional writer. Why not have a goal to strive for, even if it's not a saving-the-world-and-defeating-the-evil-nemesis-and-getting-the-ultimate-treasure computer game kind of goal? Life is meant to be lived and enjoyed.