Goodbye Jesus

Turtles Sing?

Justin

Song of Soloman 2: 12 says that turtles sing? Oh what the hell is this? This is Bible lunacy that i had never seen until yesterday.

"The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land"

Song of Soloman 2: 12 says that turtles sing? Oh what the hell is this? This is Bible lunacy that i had never seen until yesterday.

"The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land"

For some reason the King James folks translated that word as turtle in some places and turtle dove in others. Back in the day turtle did mean turtledove in the right context.

turtle. (n.d.). Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1). Retrieved April 26, 2008, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/turtle

tur·tle

–noun Archaic.

a turtledove.

[Origin: bef. 1000; ME, OE < L turtur (imit.)]

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

Turtledove thing aside, there are a lot of weird, nonsensical things in the bible that you look over when you are a christian. What about the fact that Jesus totally disses a Cannanite woman and calls her a dog? The only reason he heals her daughter is because she won't stop nagging and then claims that it is her faith that healed her daughter...never saw that one until my friend showed me that story. I was floored...I worshiped a racist pig!

Matthew 15:21-28

21Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. 22A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession."

23Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, "Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us."

24He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel."

25The woman came and knelt before him. "Lord, help me!" she said.

26He replied, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."

27"Yes, Lord," she said, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table."

28Then Jesus answered, "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted." And her daughter was healed from that very hour.

================

Bible=lunacy!

Guest GlitterSno

I feel cheated.... I owned a turtle for years and not once did she sing to me :(

Interesting...it took a divine evil to trick a woman (the serpent and Eve), it took a woman to get one up on man (Adam), and in this story we have a woman getting on up on god.

The translation is proof of inconsistency of scripture.

Some turtles and tortoises do have calls. There are a few that make quite a bit of noise.

Turtles can make a variety of noises. Some are involuntary, like hissing when they retract, burps, and grunts when laying eggs.

They often make noises when courting, such as mating clucks, grunts, or chirps. Some types of turtle hatchlings will also make small noises. It's entirely possible, that turtle, means turtle.

Here's an example:

Smaller turtles or tortoises can make similar noise, it's just higher pitched, but can be just as loud. The passage in the bible could have been referring to a mating season, egg laying, or hatching season for a local shell back species.

Singing turtles wouldn't suprise me, since in the Bible we've already got talking animals, talking plants, dragons, flying horses, flying zombies, angels, demons, virgin births, and the list of absurdities goes on and on.

Oh but wait, all those things might be metaphorical, allegory, or taken out of context. So they don't count :Doh:

Before all the possible answers given on here, when i posted this i was thinking that people back then heard frogs singing but did not know they were frogs. They would hear noises coming from streams and ponds and when they headed down there to have a look they saw turtles and just thought, without knowing anything about biology or science, that the turtles were the source of the noises. They may have seen the frogs but thought they were to small to produce such sounds. The verse seems to be talking about spring which is the time frogs emerge and commense their songs, so i guess it's a possibility. But who knows with that book of lunacy, the Bible. :shrug:

Mike D, what verses talk of flying horses and talking plants? Would very much love to read these. :lmao:

Wasn't it Elijah who was taken up in heaven on a fiery chariot with flying horses?

Wasn't it Elijah who was taken up in heaven on a fiery chariot with flying horses?

Yeah. It was either him or Apollo, always getting those old myths mixed up.

Mohammed went to heaven on a flying horse too :)

The talking plant was none other than the burning bush that a delusional Moses claimed to have a conversation with. Although some Christians have "corrected" me and said the plant didn't actually talk, it was the angel of the Lard appearing in the bush who was talking (ok so a magical talking angel embedded in a magical burning plant spoke.... and that's supposed to make it believable or any less absurd?). Semantics. As for the flying horses I used to have a list a mile long on one of my laptops that had all kinds of crazy verses and absurdities that I got from Skeptics Annotated Bible and a couple of other sources but now I can't find it. I'll keep looking since I am going to be pretty irritated if I can't find it.

The talking plant was none other than the burning bush that a delusional Moses claimed to have a conversation with. Although some Christians have "corrected" me and said the plant didn't actually talk, it was the angel of the Lard appearing in the bush who was talking (ok so a magical talking angel embedded in a magical burning plant spoke.... and that's supposed to make it believable or any less absurd?). Semantics. As for the flying horses I used to have a list a mile long on one of my laptops that had all kinds of crazy verses and absurdities that I got from Skeptics Annotated Bible and a couple of other sources but now I can't find it. I'll keep looking since I am going to be pretty irritated if I can't find it.

I totally forgot about the magical, talking, burning Bush and Elijah ascending up to the sky dome firmament in a chariot of fire pulled by a team of magical flying equines.

The Skeptics Annotated Bible is a great site for finding biblical bullshit. I'll go see what else i can find there.

Skeptics annotated is awsome. I can't believe some of the crazy shit i've found there!

Proof that turtles can sing!

Singing turtles here!

I know. Weird. The things you find on youtube.

Where in the world would we be without youtube?