Goodbye Jesus

Cox Cable Is Spying On You

Ouroboros

Today I figured out that Cox Cable is actively spying and wiretapping your internet (or downloading spyware on your machine - not sure exactly how they do it).

I was downloading (yes, it's illegal, I know...) some audio lectures that are copyrighted. I got it through torrent downloads, and lo and behold, my internet was shut down and it took me a couple of days (all until a few minutes ago) to figure out that they did it because of these files. (I have a second network I can use - which explains why I'm been able to post here without Cox.)

I had to promise them that I was going to delete these files and then I could reactivate my account. There were some problems, but after some tricks I got it working again.

But still... this sux big time! They gave me a default page saying that I was breaking the law by downloading copyright material... well, they're right, but then I was thinking, where is your subpoena for wiretapping? But then I remembered further, ah, Patriot act, of course! They can now wiretap and spy on you as much as they want, because downloading copyright material is now equivalent to terrorism! And the ISP is of course deputized and have become just a subdivision to Fatherland Security, Heil Bush!!! The 3rd Reich is here! I also found out that other people have had similar experience the last couple of months. Downloading bootleg DVDs, music or books, and getting threatening emails and/or having their internet turned off.

*sigh* I just loved getting tons of books and educational stuff this way, because these things are so extremely expensive. But, no more. That's the end of the road, and I will now shut down my torrent app.

(end of my little rant)

Shit...we just switched to Cox Cable a couple of months ago because after AT&T bought out Bellsouth the internet went soooooo slow. My DH loves LimeWire and was using it to download music but he never had anything like that happen. His LimeWire downloading days were axed by none other than me. :P I think it is stealing, he does not...however, I am the computer "whiz" and was sick to death of cleaning off spyware and viruses from Windows. GRRRRRR *He can't use it on our new MACS either*

Thanks for the heads-up! You know, Hans, I don't like this spying issue and find it even more of a violation than downloading copyrighted materials that someone has already paid for and is sharing!

Today I figured out that Cox Cable is actively spying and wiretapping your internet (or downloading spyware on your machine - not sure exactly how they do it).

I was downloading (yes, it's illegal, I know...) some audio lectures that are copyrighted. I got it through torrent downloads, and lo and behold, my internet was shut down and it took me a couple of days (all until a few minutes ago) to figure out that they did it because of these files. (I have a second network I can use - which explains why I'm been able to post here without Cox.)

I had to promise them that I was going to delete these files and then I could reactivate my account. There were some problems, but after some tricks I got it working again.

But still... this sux big time! They gave me a default page saying that I was breaking the law by downloading copyright material... well, they're right, but then I was thinking, where is your subpoena for wiretapping? But then I remembered further, ah, Patriot act, of course! They can now wiretap and spy on you as much as they want, because downloading copyright material is now equivalent to terrorism! And the ISP is of course deputized and have become just a subdivision to Fatherland Security, Heil Bush!!! The 3rd Reich is here! I also found out that other people have had similar experience the last couple of months. Downloading bootleg DVDs, music or books, and getting threatening emails and/or having their internet turned off.

*sigh* I just loved getting tons of books and educational stuff this way, because these things are so extremely expensive. But, no more. That's the end of the road, and I will now shut down my torrent app.

(end of my little rant)

Hans, How much more involved do you believe the government is with tapping into peoples systems? I also heard of TV's being altered to be able to monitor image wise in some TV's. Did you hear anything about that?

I didn't realize ISP's were in the policing business. Although it might be that Cox is more aggressive about it because they are a cable company and have a financial interest in that sort of thing. If you had just a standalone ISP they might be more lax about it. Although when it comes to bad companies to deal with, Cox has got to be on the top of my list... i've had cable with them twice in my lifetime and both times were horrible experience. Constant outages, 1 hour plus hold times when calling customer service, rude employees, high prices, etc. Cox is the worse!

Hans, How much more involved do you believe the government is with tapping into peoples systems? I also heard of TV's being altered to be able to monitor image wise in some TV's. Did you hear anything about that?

Gosh... I didn't hear that. This Cox thing just came up today, so it was a shock to me. But now, it wouldn't surprise me if they spy on your TV channel choice through the cable box too. It's very simple for them to do. The link is already there, and they are already sending other data from the box. What's next? A video camera?

I didn't realize ISP's were in the policing business. Although it might be that Cox is more aggressive about it because they are a cable company and have a financial interest in that sort of thing. If you had just a standalone ISP they might be more lax about it.

Maybe. But I remember a few years back, when Cox blocked outgoing emails (SMTP), in a few years almost all other companies followed suit. It might happen here too, and you don't know when it comes, that's the worst part. Suddenly they just start stepping in on your privacy. Maybe they just should put video cameras in all rooms and transmit it directly to Homeland Security? It really is becoming 1984, literally, by the book, not just figure of speech.

TBH, COx and Shaw are assinine jokes... they monitor thier users (and have done for over a decade) while leaving proxy servers open to all comers. For some time I'd blocked all Cox and Shaw access to my websites due to their shit hole security.

I just got my Internet back after almost four days (I have charter cable). I've been on the phone everyday trying to find out why.

Day 1: A technician had been sent out to fix the problem (we was having a local blackout). I never seen him or her.

Day 2: I was told by a charter rep that California was having blackouts. I had no reason to not believe her cause I had no TV or Internet.

Day 3: I was a little upset by now so I wanted a reason as to why it was taking so long. The lady could not find a reason why.

Day 4: Today I called again and the man I spoke with knew nothing about California having blackouts on a large or small (local) scale. So I scheduled an appointment to have someone come out tomorrow morning.

After I hung up I walked outside to look at my cable and it looked like someone had been tampering with one of those special fittings that prevent people from disconnecting the cable without a special tool that you can't buy at your local hardware store. Anyway I managed to get it back together. :banghead:

I'm not sure if charter is spying on me but they may lose a customer.

===================

On a good note, I got some yard work done.