Goodbye Jesus

Christianity Isn't A Religion?

Guest peavy

Guest peavy

Earlier today, I saw a Wendy's commercial that I had not seen before. The subject was some random garbage like a chicken salad, but it was the end that caught my attention. The last words were, "Wendy's: it's more than just fast food." I immediately exclaimed aloud, "What a load of crap!"

Then I realized how similar this was something I hear my Christian friends say all the time: "Religion is against my relationship." It astounds me that so many Christians think that Christianity just isn't a religion. It's one thing to believe in the doctrines, but to think that those beliefs aren't of a religious value is just arrogant. What do they think makes them so special??

The answer to that is simple: *their* beliefs are true, unlike those faulty religions. But obviously, any faithful practicer of all those religions believe the exact same thing about *their* beliefs.

In grade school, we're all taught about the hundreds, thousands even, of world religions, myths, cults, and mystery religions that have existed throughout the history of mankind. And yet, we're supposed to believe that this one religion, no more than an offshoot from Hebrew mythology, is legitimate?? It's amazing how much blind self-righteousness and conceit surrounds the whole of Christianity.

That is all for now.

I just loooove how they say that christianity isn't a religion, but atheism is!

"I don't have a religion, I have a relationship; but since you strongly believe that the person I have a relationship with doesn't exist, you have a religion!"

*choke choke* WTF?

I was thinking the exact same thing.

If that's true, it means that atheism is protected by the first amendment, but Christianity is NOT!

Saying Christianity is a relationship and not a religion is just further confirmation that many Christians are unable to distinguish fantasy from reality. It's one thing to say you follow a religion, it's quite another to claim you have a personal relationship with invisible people who don't exist. :crazy:

Yeah, just another semantic reach-around. :dumbo:

No, it means they ARE delusional

Earlier today, I saw a Wendy's commercial that I had not seen before. The subject was some random garbage like a chicken salad, but it was the end that caught my attention. The last words were, "Wendy's: it's more than just fast food." I immediately exclaimed aloud, "What a load of crap!"
That reminds me of how the WeightWatchers commercials claim that WeightWatchers "isn't a diet; it's a lifestyle!" as if other diets don't make the same "we're the real thing, this time, really!" claims that they do. I wonder how many of these commercial script writers are Christians or do Christians get their evangelizing methods from salesmen?

They are right, it isn't a religion. It's an arrogant group of loonies who worship the figment of someone else's imagination.

Well, if it's not a religion, I guess it loses its tax-exempt status, eh? And it's no longer protected under freedom of religion.

I got bored the other day and joined a facebook group "Christianity isn't a religion, it's a relationship" to say "So is paganism. Since they've more gods, you can have more one on one time with your beloved." Immature of me, I know, but I was annoyed (and it is quite true).

Christianity is not a religion. That's like saying herpes is just a minor rash.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

If that's true, it means that atheism is protected by the first amendment, but Christianity is NOT!

THAT'S RIGHT! That is an excellent point!

Well, if it's not a religion, I guess it loses its tax-exempt status, eh? And it's no longer protected under freedom of religion.

Steady, you'll get the 'no tax for ANYONE' brigade picketing the thread.... :fdevil:

Then I realized how similar this was something I hear my Christian friends say all the time: "Religion is against my relationship." It astounds me that so many Christians think that Christianity just isn't a religion. It's one thing to believe in the doctrines, but to think that those beliefs aren't of a religious value is just arrogant. What do they think makes them so special??

The answer to that is simple: *their* beliefs are true, unlike those faulty religions. But obviously, any faithful practicer of all those religions believe the exact same thing about *their* beliefs.

In grade school, we're all taught about the hundreds, thousands even, of world religions, myths, cults, and mystery religions that have existed throughout the history of mankind. And yet, we're supposed to believe that this one religion, no more than an offshoot from Hebrew mythology, is legitimate?? It's amazing how much blind self-righteousness and conceit surrounds the whole of Christianity.

That is all for now.

I've always hated the "it's not a religion, it's a personal reliationship" bullshit. Yeah, and I don't drive a car, I drive a "personal carriage device." It's a system of belief about god and how the universe was created. That's the fuckin' definition of a religion. A few months ago, I was talking to my mom and said something about being done with religion, and she said something like, "oh, but christianity isn't a religion; it's a personal relationship!" As if pretending a term doesn't fit the definition of christianity is going to make me turn around and say, "oh, well shit, I was just hating it because it was called a religion! I'm back in!"

:brutal_01: until they are :dead:

"...it's a relationship" with someone who:

Doesn't talk

Has no physical attributes that can be seen or measured

Inspires people to write shitty music

Has about the worst prayer-answer "batting average" ev-URRR!

Cannot make even a few diverse people agree exactly on his nature/attributes/will

Has permitted slavery, racism, bigotry, economic crime and more in his name

Has never seen fit to publish THE definitive version of his book

Is responsible for much of the thuggery and insanity going on in the middle east, as it is his cock-sucking fan club that believes they are advancing his righteous cause by wiping people out

"It's not a religion, it's a-ckk; gghhkk... blechhkk..." (as I choke them to death with my bare hands)

By and large, if Christianity isn't a religion yet they have one of the most miserable and verifiable track records in human history, what gives them the right to speak on how ethics and values are formulated and how they should be prescribed?

What gives them the right to say that an omnipotent being cannot be both good and evil at the same time? What gives them the right to assume that morals are given from a moral lawgiver? How do they know that evolutionary science has corrupted the study of ethics from the late 19th century to today? How do they even know that the origin of the universe and of the species has anything at all to do with the realm of human ethics?

They pawn off bad ethical decisions on the nihilistic philosophers and science-minded thinkers of the late 19th and 20th centuries like the Christians themselves had nothing to do with any of it.

I don't understand any of it.

I've always hated the "it's not a religion, it's a personal reliationship" bullshit.

Me too. I still totally fail to understand the relationship with Jesus thing. Hell, maybe that's why I'm an ex-c. I even had a thread on it here awhile back.

Just recently I got an mass e-mailing about someone in a nursing home who "has an excellent relationship with Jesus Christ". Just what the hell is that?

Couldn't I imagine if I wanted to that I had an excellent relationship with him if I did some creative visualization? That he is my friend and is going to make my life just really great despite my shitty life circumstances?

Or was it just that this person was Catholic, and still liked to partake of the Eucharist at age 90? I repeat, just what is it?

Doesn't talk

Cannot make even a few diverse people agree exactly on his nature/attributes/will

Is responsible for much of the thuggery and insanity going on in the middle east, as it is his cock-sucking fan club that believes they are advancing his righteous cause by wiping people out

"It's not a religion, it's a-ckk; gghhkk... blechhkk..." (as I choke them to death with my bare hands)

lol, and not too mention a relationship in which the real person doesn't feel worthy of their imaginary friend.

I think whatever you call christianity, it is going to be a euphemism. For such a destructive, megalomaniac practice to be labled as "religion" or "relationship" would suggest it was a thing which christians could actually get out there heads once in a while.

and they just don't see the Santa/Jesus relationship either. it's not a relgion, they're right, it's a fantasy. when a 5 yr old talks with God, it's just his/her Imaginary Friend. when we believe in Santa, we know we're believing in a fantasy dream. But, Jesus is Different. HOW? I don't know, he's on Third, and I don't care. I don't care? He's our Short stop!

Nah, it's more like a cult.

Anyway, personal-relationship-with-God type Christians scare me the most.

They actually think they have a personal relationship with the creator of the Universe.

Arrogance or what?

Nah, it's more like a cult.

Anyway, personal-relationship-with-God type Christians scare me the most.

They actually think they have a personal relationship with the creator of the Universe.

Arrogance or what?

How do you KNOW it's a Cult? Because THEY all call Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses Cults, and visa versa. So how's that go? Takes One to Know One?

Pot -> Kettle -> ?

"I don't have a religion, I have a relationship; but since you strongly believe that the person I have a relationship with doesn't exist, you have a religion!"

*choke choke* WTF?

Yeah, I don't have a religion just because I choose not to continue to believe Xian bullshit.

Guest peavy

Doesn't talk

lol, and not too mention a relationship in which the real person doesn't feel worthy of their imaginary friend.

Yea, if I knew someone that told me that no matter how good I was, I'd never be good enough for them (righteousness as filthy rags) and that the only reason I can consider myself good is because I was friends with them, I would NOT consider this a very loving and meaningful relationship.

I hear my Christian friends say all the time: "Religion is against my relationship." It astounds me that so many Christians think that Christianity just isn't a religion. It's one thing to believe in the doctrines, but to think that those beliefs aren't of a religious value is just arrogant. What do they think makes them so special??

I would love to meet one of these people just once. I would tell them that I too have a “Relationship with Jesus” and He told me that the Bible was load of crap and that He really enjoys watching me have sex with my same-sex partner. Just watch how fast the religious dogma will come flying!