Goodbye Jesus

Looking Up Other Religions

BlueGiant

So Vomit Comet got me thinking about where to go to get reasonably accurate information about other (i.e. non- Abrahamic) religions. I figure most (or all) of us here have done research into other religions, with books, websites and the like. So, I throw the question out there: Where can you go to get good information (or at least information that is better than average) on forms of theism or spirituality that are not Christian?

I've found these sources on the web to be useful:

The Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance -- While not the prettiest site on these subjects, or even the most in depth, this site does cover religious news, controversies and basic outlines of religions "from Asatru to Zoroastrianism."

Internet Sacred Text Archive -- Sometimes it's best to go to a primary source or at least some early ethnographic work. Has a surprising range of texts available.

Wikipedia -- I'd be remiss if I did not mention the People's Encyclopedia (at least as The Rock may put it). Yes the information can be spotty, and downright wrong, but the sources cited can often yield some good results if you chase them down. Kind of like an academic review article.

For generalities, these three do pretty well and often provide good starting points for further research, if one is so inclined (i.e. a stack rat). Never discount the value of a library card, even in the "digital age."

We should try to put together a comprehensive list of specific informational websites about specific religions.

- What's the best website (or cluster thereof) that teaches the curious layman about Asatru?

- What's the best website (or cluster thereof) that teaches the curious layman about Buddhism?

And so on and so forth.

Ninian Smart did a book called World Religions. I think it's a pretty good, comprehensive and non-biased account.

Guest LoveAll

Greetings,

Have not been to this website for very long, I think it is wonderful that a refuge for ex-Christians has ben established. While I was raised around a lot of conservative Christians, I never was one. I did go through my own dark night of the soul though, for many years. I decided that there must be something true out there, so I did a study of all the worlds religions. This was about 16 years ago. What I decided, for myself, was that the teachings of Buddhism, as practised in the Soto Zen tradition, made the most sense to me. Also, it offered a way, Zazen, (sitting meditation) which enabled anyone who was dedicated & disciplined, a way to directly experience for themselves the authentic spiritual life; awakening, enlightenment, salvation, what ever you want to call it. At this stage of my life, I no longer consider myself a formal "Buddhist" but I have continued with the practice, if that makes sense to you.

Anyway, I encourage you not to take my word for it, but do what you believe is right. If you are interested in learning more about Buddism, there is a ton of sites on the Internet some good, some great, some no-so great. A very good basic one is:

www.buddhanet.net

Take good care, I will enjoy hearing & learning more from you all.

A good friend of mine wrote a wonderful book, which is available from his website. It's very fun and funny but full of really good information about a lot of religions. It's called The Heathen's Guide to World Religions. I highly recommend it.

http://www.heathensguide.com/

Heather