Goodbye Jesus

States Want To Let Teachers Challenge Evolution “theory�

nivek

States want to let teachers challenge evolution “theory”

Fox News

“The debate over evolution is evolving. Although federal courts have banned teaching ‘creation theory’ or ‘intelligent design theory’ in public schools, legislators in several states are seeking new ways to allow teachers to cast doubt on the theory of evolution. The Florida House of Representatives passed a bill this week that will require schools to teach ‘critical analysis’ of evolution. On Tuesday Michigan introduced a similar ‘academic freedom’ bill. Louisiana, Alabama and Missouri also have legislation under debate, although no state has adopted a law yet. Opponents say these bills that allow the questioning of evolution are a smokescreen for teaching creationism or intelligent design.” (05/01/08)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,353767,00.html

So, in other words, it's ok for teachers to debate creationism in class as long as they call it "debating" instead of "teaching"? Wtf? I don't understand why xtians are so obsessed with teaching creationism in public schools. Christianity is the most popular religion in the U.S, so it's not as if the majority of students in schools don't already have their minds made up about creationism anyway. If they really want to question the theory of evolution, can't they do it on their own free time instead of wasting valuable time for learning? This is science class, not a college lecture for Christ's sake. It's not like the students would be learning anything new about creationism that they haven't already had forced down their throats enough times already unless they've been living under a rock or something. And I still fail to see what the theory of evolution has anything to do with the existence of God.

So, in other words, it's ok for teachers to debate creationism in class as long as they call it "debating" instead of "teaching"? Wtf? I don't understand why xtians are so obsessed with teaching creationism in public schools. Christianity is the most popular religion in the U.S, so it's not as if the majority of students in schools don't already have their minds made up about creationism anyway. If they really want to question the theory of evolution, can't they do it on their own free time instead of wasting valuable time for learning? This is science class, not a college lecture for Christ's sake. It's not like the students would be learning anything new about creationism that they haven't already had forced down their throats enough times already unless they've been living under a rock or something. And I still fail to see what the theory of evolution has anything to do with the existence of God.

Neon Genesis,

I think it's more of a relevant thing. Kids today have more resources than ever, creating the 'atmosphere' of debate in class especially, as said earlier, if someone is also currently in thick at church group studies etc. I think its a response to the kids, not the response of Christian teachers.

Theres questions that hard core creationists can ask that may stump the evolutionists, and same again for evolutionists stumping the creationists. It's all a mouse click away, and footsteps away from school.

I think it's more of a relevant thing. Kids today have more resources than ever, creating the 'atmosphere' of debate in class especially, as said earlier, if someone is also currently in thick at church group studies etc. I think its a response to the kids, not the response of Christian teachers.

No, it isn't "a response to the kids." Aren't we discussing public schools? What goes on in school is dictated ultimately by politicians who have large numbers of whacko fundamentalists in their districts that they need to keep happy. See recent activity in Florida legislature.

Theres questions that hard core creationists can ask that may stump the evolutionists, and same again for evolutionists stumping the creationists. It's all a mouse click away, and footsteps away from school.

Oh yeah? Name one question creationists ask that stump evolutionists, or show us the link.

And Yoyo has unfinished business to be opening up a new front on Loud Ignorance 2008 Tour of Ex-Cs

Neon Genesis,

It's a response to xtians interfering in the public school system. They want to debate reality with fairy tales. The Supreme Court has already ruled against the use of the theology of the cult of Paul in place of truth.

No, it isn't "a response to the kids." Aren't we discussing public schools? What goes on in school is dictated ultimately by politicians who have large numbers of whacko fundamentalists in their districts that they need to keep happy. See recent activity in Florida legislature.

Oh yeah? Name one question creationists ask that stump evolutionists, or show us the link.

Pascal's wager starters. I don't talk about it much here, because here is where I learned who he was. Needless to say, he's not very popular around here. Anyway, just an example. It may not stump you persay, but may some. Maybe teachers, maybe other children. The idea of, what if your wrong. That could very easily stimulate conversation in schools and can connect to the evolutionist vs creationists atmosphere.

Though scientifically, evolution may hold to fact. That doesn't mean its an absolute truth of creation. Maybe the most reasonable, logical mechanism behind this world and its progress is evolution; but that doesn't constitute the source of creation.

Pascal's wager starters. I don't talk about it much here, because here is where I learned who he was. Needless to say, he's not very popular around here. Anyway, just an example

Please give us a break. Pascal's wager has nothing whatsoever to do with scientific evidence or the argument that creationism is true. Spell it out how exactly Pascal's wager proves evolution to be wrong.

It may not stump you persay, but may some. Maybe teachers, maybe other children. The idea of, what if your wrong. That could very easily stimulate conversation in schools and can connect to the evolutionist vs creationists atmosphere.

What you xtians continually fail to realize is that Pascal's wager cuts both ways. What if you are wrong and Krishna or Allah are the true god? Again this has nothing to do with evolution/creation.

That doesn't mean its an absolute truth of creation. Maybe the most reasonable, logical mechanism behind this world and its progress is evolution; but that doesn't constitute the source of creation.

You are using the word creation as if its a fact. Creation implies a creator - we say prove it.

Fer crying out loud... it's 'per se' not persay... and the past tense of 'write' is 'written' when applied as you did on the other thread... In the name of God learn English!

And Pascal's wager is tired old bull shit... you know it, I know it...

the rest is just bad apologetics... Holy Mother, at least give the impression you're trying

Fer crying out loud... it's 'per se' not persay... and the past tense of 'write' is 'written' when applied as you did on the other thread... In the name of God learn English!

And Pascal's wager is tired old bull shit... you know it, I know it...

the rest is just bad apologetics... Holy Mother, at least give the impression you're trying

:twitch:

That doesn't mean its an absolute truth of creation. Maybe the most reasonable, logical mechanism behind this world and its progress is evolution; but that doesn't constitute the source of creation.

How hard is it to understand that evolution does not explain how everything was created and that it is simply a method used to explain how living organisms change over time to become better creatures? Is it really that hard to wrap your head around that concept?

Pascal's wager starters. I don't talk about it much here, because here is where I learned who he was. Needless to say, he's not very popular around here.
That's like saying what if you're wrong about Zeus and you die and find out Zeus exists and punishes you with the wrath of Zeus. The popularity of Pascal's Wager has nothing to do with whether or not it proves the existence of God, which by the way, it doesn't. The only thing Pascal's Wager proves is that your "proof" arguments are full of shit and you know it.

Anyway, just an example. It may not stump you persay, but may some. Maybe teachers, maybe other children. The idea of, what if your wrong. That could very easily stimulate conversation in schools and can connect to the evolutionist vs creationists atmosphere.
Since when do we decide what's science and what's religion based on who's ignorant enough to be stumped? What kind of logic is that? What does being "stumped" have to do with proving you have evidence for the existence of God? Do you understand anything about the scientific method at all?

Though scientifically, evolution may hold to fact. That doesn't mean its an absolute truth of creation. Maybe the most reasonable, logical mechanism behind this world and its progress is evolution; but that doesn't constitute the source of creation.
Since when did the theory of evolution ever state anything about the existence of deities and how exactly do you disprove the theory of evolution by "stumping" people with completely unrelated topics? Disproving the theory of evolution by trying to "stump" people with religion is like trying to disprove gravity by claiming that invisible purple unicorns exist on the rings of Saturn and then asking, "what if you're wrong?!" It's utter nonsense.

Wow our tax money at work. Shouldn't we be concentrating on teaching this country's children science to begin with?

This bill is rather unnecessary, because this debate comes up, whether or not the teacher initiates it. At least it did when I was in High School, about 5 years ago.