Goodbye Jesus

New Testament As Fiction

hereticzero

And1161 I say also2504, 3004 unto thee,4671 That3754 thou4771 art1488 Peter,4074 and2532 upon1909 this5026 rock4073 I will build3618 my3450 church;1577 and2532 the gates4439 of hell86 shall not3756 prevail against2729 it.846

(Mat 16:18)

=============

The above gibberish is from the King James Version with Strong's Numbers. The words of the NT are numbered and one can research meanings by word. This brings me to my point for posting this. I once made a post about mythological creatures of the babble being modernized in order to conceal the babble's past as a work of fiction.

My objective is word number 86 'hell'. The Greek word, which the New Testament babble was written in, not Hebrew, is hades (ᾅδης), not hell. In Greek stories, the gods always seem to send someone to hades on a quest. Christians stole this idea and incorporated hades into their religion as hell. In Greek mythology, Hades has always been the mythological place. Hell is a made up concept invented by christianity. Hell is based on a mythological place therefore it cannot exist. If 'Hell' is xtianity's version of 'Hades' then Hell has no value to anyone because it is a fictitious place. The writers of the NT, had they been of the holy ghost as xtians claim, they would not have referred to hell as a mythological place but instead by its name given to it by god. But, what is the true name of hell? The NT uses also another Greek name, γέεννα, geenna, for another hell. The xtians are so desperate for punishment for something that they have several types of hells just in case one doesn't do the trick.

Hell is another false doctrine invented by the xtian church.

There are two 'Hell's and neither match the post Nicean idea

1 Sheol - the place of the dead... literally a grave or simply a 'place underground'

2 Gehenna - a burning rubish dump near Jearusalem... it was the place the outcasts scraped a living...

Neither matches Hades, and not one of the three manage to be the place of eternal punishment of the medieval view...

Yes great post Grandpa

eternal torment is a horrible lie, I love how Ingersoll addresses that!

Where did that doctrine of eternal punishment for men and women and children come from? It came from the low and beastly skull of that wretch in the dug-out. Where did he get it? It was a souvenir from the animals. The doctrine of eternal punishment was born in the glittering eyes of snakes -- snakes that hung in fearful coils watching for their prey. It was born of the howl and bark and growl of wild beasts. It was born of the grin of hyenas and of the depraved chatter of unclean baboons. I despise it with every drop of my blood. Tell me there is a God in the serene heavens that will damn his children for the expression of an honest belief! More men have died in their sins, judged by your orthodox creeds, than there are leaves on all the forests in the wide world ten thousand times over. Tell me these men are in hell; that these men are in torment; that these children are in eternal pain, and that they are to be punished forever and forever! I denounce this doctrine as the most infamous of lies.

When the great ship containing the hopes and aspirations of the word, when the great ship freighted with mankind goes down in the night of death, chaos and disaster, I am willing to go down with the ship. I will not be guilty of the ineffable meanness of paddling away in some orthodox canoe. I will go down with the ship, with those who love me, and with those whom I have loved. If there is a God who will damn his children forever, I would rather go to hell than to go to heaven and keep the society of such an infamous tyrant. I make my choice now. I despise that doctrine. It has covered the cheeks of this world with tears. It has polluted the hearts of children, and poisoned the imaginations of men. It has been a constant pain, a perpetual terror to every good man and woman and child. It has filled the good with horror and with fear; but it has had no effect upon the infamous and base. It has wrung the hearts of the tender; it has furrowed the checks of the good. This doctrine never should be preached again. What right have you, sir, Mr. clergyman, you, minister of the gospel, to stand at the portals of the tomb, at the vestibule of eternity, and fill the future with horror and with fear? I do not believe this doctrine; neither do you. If you did, you could not sleep one moment. Any man who believes it, and has within his breast a decent, throbbing heart, will go insane. A man who believes that doctrine and does not go insane has the heart of a snake, and the conscience of a hyena.

Jonathan Edwards, the dear old soul, who, if his doctrine is true, is now in heaven rubbing his holy hands with glee, as he hears the cries of the damned, preached this doctrine; and he said: "Can the believing husband in heaven be happy with his unbelieving wife in hell? Can the believing father in heaven be happy with his unbelieving children in hell? Can the loving wife in heaven be happy with her unbelieving husband in hell?" And he replies: "I tell you, yea. Such will be their sense of justice, that it will increase rather than diminish their bliss." There is no wild beast in the jungles of Africa whose reputation would not be tarnished by the expression of such a doctrine.

These doctrines have been taught in the name of religion, in the name of universal forgiveness, in the name of infinite love and charity. Do not, I pray you, soil the minds of your children with this dogma. Let them read for themselves; let them think for themselves.

Robert Ingersoll