Goodbye Jesus

Didn't know there was that many.

Druid

It's truly sad. I believe the US is going back to dark ages.

Here's my little 2cent thoughts about why this is happening:

Science, especially Cosmology and Evolution, has become very difficult subjects to understand, so fewer and fewer people have the skill and interest to dig deep into it and get the full, or at least partial, graps of what they say.

People want the simple and short answers for everything, and even more so for the complicated and difficult questions. This is related to the typical "instant decision" mentality in business today. Better with a fast decision than a correct decision. And people feel its better with a simple explanation than a correct one.

So of course, instead of studying Black Holes, White Holes, Brane Theory, String Theory, Mutations, Natural Selections and Genetics, it's just easier to say "Goddidit".

More like "depressing." The percentage of dolts in the country is getting bigger every year! :loser:

We have left the age of reason and reentered the age of faith. I have watched for the better part of 40 years as it seems the average intelligence has dropped steadily, and the nature of public debate has regressed to who's best dressed and best looking. Is it the flouride in the water? The mercury in the vaccinations? The increase in junk food consumption? Video games? The continuous erosion of the nutritional value of food in terms of vitamins and minerals? Public schools? Laziness that naturally follows the lack of want? I wish I knew.

I would like to believe it has always been this way and my expectations are simply unreasonable, but just compare the asinine stupidity of George WMD Bush to Jefferson. It's like the difference between Einstein and 'dumber' from 'Dumb and Dumber'. It's hard to imagine a more moronic "leader" than the buffoon we have now.

Where did you get that number from? Was it from a christian perspective or somewhere else?

...I have watched for the better part of 40 years as it seems the average intelligence has dropped steadily, and the nature of public debate has regressed to who's best dressed and best looking.  Is it the flouride in the water?  The mercury in the vaccinations?  The increase in junk food consumption?  Video games?  The continuous erosion of the nutritional value of food in terms of vitamins and minerals?  Public schools?  Laziness that naturally follows the lack of want?  I wish I knew.

I ask myself the same... maybe we should make a list of possible causes in the US vs Europe/Germany. :blink:

Boy, just listening to the slogans (due to the upcoming elections in two months)... our deficit is mind-bogglingly huge, yet politicians of both sides babble such asinine drivel as "We'll increase unemployment benefit". Yeah sure. Where from? Maybe they'll just print more money, eh? Worked for a while back in Weimar times... of course, it also helped bring hitler to power.

But hey, as long as it helps to win an election, fuck the future! :Hmm:

And the voters swallow it...! :banghead:

Where did you get that number from?  Was it from a christian perspective or somewhere else?

Follow the yellow brick road link:

Highlight of it:

ROCHESTER, N.Y., July 6 /PRNewswire/ -- Earlier this year, the State Board of Education in Kansas reignited an old debate -- whether or not creationism should be taught in public schools -- and shone the spotlight on a new theory, intelligent design. While many in the scientific community may question why this issue has been raised again, a new national survey shows that almost two-thirds of U.S. adults (64%) agree with the basic tenet of creationism, that "human beings were created directly by God."

So of course, instead of studying Black Holes, White Holes, Brane Theory, String Theory, Mutations, Natural Selections and Genetics, it's just easier to say "Goddidit".
I can sort of understand the disinterest in studying something that they don't understand. After all, I've had things that were over my head before, and I know what it's like. But it's the whole making-up-my-own-answer thing that really pisses me off. Christians are not entitled to their own facts!

Other key findings include:

-- A majority of U.S. adults (54%) do not think human beings developed

from earlier species, up from 46 percent in 1994.

-- Forty-nine percent of adults believe plants and animals have evolved

from some other species while 45 percent do not believe that.

-- Adults are evenly divided about whether or not apes and man have a

common ancestry (46 percent believe we do and 47 percent believe we do

not).

-- Again divided, 46 percent of adults agree that "Darwin's theory of

evolution is proven by fossil discoveries," while 48 percent disagree.

Holy cognative dissidence batman!

If I'm reading this right, almost the same amount of people who believe man didn't evolve from other life believe that other life did evolve from other life?

I'm I insane or is that completely fucked up?

:twitch:

I wonder if the reasons for this are that people are sheep and scientists aren't politicians. People that don't have the desire to try to figure stuff out for themselves, will follow whatever is popular - because it's safe. If you get enough people to accept your view, the rest of the sheep will follow.

Christians clearly have an agenda to give credence to their views these days, by trying to legitimize their faith-based approach to science using politics. I just don't see that scientists are equally driven by the same need as a Christian is to convert people to their worldview. I tend to see a scientist as more interested in discovering the real truth, even if it contradicts everything they've always believed about something. I doubt any Christian operates that way. Am I wrong?

I can sort of understand the disinterest in studying something that they don't understand.  After all, I've had things that were over my head before, and I know what it's like.  But it's the whole making-up-my-own-answer thing that really pisses me off.  Christians are not entitled to their own facts!

I think people are sheer lazy today. Drive thru fast food, park next to the store, sit and watch tv, be fed the right answers from the prez, don't think, just follow the flow, only remember the easy answers. I think this is a social and cultural sickness and only truth and education, and activate peoples minds, is the only answer, but I'm not sure people want to. The like potato chips and hamburgers too much...

I think people are sheer lazy today.

Agreed. It's mental laziness, and wanting to be just like everyone else.

But I have to wonder, if the survey was self-reporting, how many people had their spouses or other family members in the room? Maybe they really didn't believe it, but had to say it so as not to give their true opinions? Just curious...

I don't think it's laziness as much as it is a combination of family/peer pressure, ignorance(our abysmal educational system), ready-made answers and fear. In fact, I would say that fear overwhelmingly figures into the belief in Biblegod. Most Americans are taught directly or indirectly that there's a big bad god that' knows everything you do and if you don't believe in him and obey, you'll burn for eternity in some bad place.

Can you imagine how that weighs on anyone's psychi?

And if your raised by a family that's religious, to not believe in Biblegod is to doubt your own upbringing, to suddenly have all these hard questions about existance and to possibly have your whole family and friends turn against you for your non-belief. It's little wonder that most feel it's better to go along with the majority than to take the most difficult road and find their own answers.

Oh shoot... okay... screw that, i hope i graduate b4 they change schools curriculum, i dont want creationism forced onto my lil mind... But this does bring up the fact that some kids go to school and are taught evolution is where we came from, but that sunday, they go to church where they sayit ISNT evolution!!! its going to confuse the lil child!! i feel sorry for children of this day and age, and pray to tunare that i graduate b4 they change the rules of what is taught... :P

I wonder what the exact wording was. You can skew survey results to any desired outcome by selectively wording them.

I think people are sheer lazy today. Drive thru fast food, park next to the store, sit and watch tv...

Tell me about that! :vent:

The closest parking place to work, for me, is the five-level "Parkhaus VW Ost" in Wolfsburg. Whenever possible, I park in level 2 (because level 1 has a rather awkward connection to the rest of the roads, so if you want to get out of there, it can be a maddening experience), but I have no problem to arrive in level 2, see "it's rather full here", and simply go up another level - instead of searching my arse off for who-knows-how-long. I rarely have to go further up than level 3, and it's a matter of perhaps one more minute, compared to level 1.

Yet I keep seeing those lazy fucks who rather wait for fifteen minutes down in level 1 to get a parking place there than to simply roll up some ten meters. Of course, they block all the ways for people who want to get home after work. Oh dear, ten meters of stairs to climb, once a day! We can't have that, can we? :banghead:

Guest Roamin' Lion
I wonder what the exact wording was.  You can skew survey results to any desired outcome by selectively wording them.

Even by asking in front of others. There are many ways to mess this up.

I think I very much question the evolution part.

And they need also to choose their demographics well. The sample can be skewed as well as the question.

And, the measurements might be off. When you see a study like this, it means very little unless you see the methodological information:Sample size, measurement, questions, scales used, type of responses allowed, where, who....all of that goes into it.

Unless you know all that, then I would take it as nothing. Too bad the general public is not knowledgeable about that. Why not teach this as early as Jr. High school? But, no, unless you get the college, you will not get the info that most of what you previously learned is crap.

Tell me about that!  :vent:

The closest parking place to work, for me, is the five-level "Parkhaus VW Ost" in Wolfsburg. Whenever possible, I park in level 2 (because level 1 has a rather awkward connection to the rest of the roads, so if you want to get out of there, it can be a maddening experience), but I have no problem to arrive in level 2, see "it's rather full here", and simply go up another level - instead of searching my arse off for who-knows-how-long. I rarely have to go further up than level 3, and it's a matter of perhaps one more minute, compared to level 1.

Yet I keep seeing those lazy fucks who rather wait for fifteen minutes down in level 1 to get a parking place there than to simply roll up some ten meters. Of course, they block all the ways for people who want to get home after work. Oh dear, ten meters of stairs to climb, once a day! We can't have that, can we? :banghead:

Oh yes. I had a SIL that would drive around a parking lot for 20 minutes if it meant she could park close to the store. I could park on the other side, shop, and be back in my car by the time she parked!