Goodbye Jesus

Opinion Requested For Job Opportunity

Rhia

So, I have a job interview as a Church Secretary, and I just want to know the opinion of any ex-Methodists, since my being a former Pente, I don't know much about them. Do they seem extra-crazy?

http://www.camphormemorial.org/

As a former Methodist, I will tell you that some are extra crazy, while most are not. The vast majority of them are far less crazy than your typical Pentecostal.

Methodists are more mainstream evangelical. They can be a little annoying, but for the most part bearable and not that bad.

I know some methodists. They seem like a very liberal christian group. I know that the methodist church had an advertising campaign a few years back... basically stating that all people are welcome to come worship - they do not shun or declare gays, lesbians, transsexuals etc. to be sinners. The slogan of the church is :open hearts, open minds, open doors. Of course, I live in Boston - Liberalville, USA. But, most of the methodists I know are level-headed liberals.

They aren't so bad...boring, but decent.

So, I have a job interview as a Church Secretary,

That desperate for a job? :scratch: I don't mean to be daft, but this strikes me as highly unusual. Wouldn't they screen you to make sure you're at least a half-assed believer and not a heathen/atheist? I came from Assembly of God, the mother of all Pentecostal denominations, and at my old church they would've put you through an inquisition before hiring you for anything, unless it was to scrub toilets at 2 a.m. on a thursday.

Edited to add: at my old church we had a lady who had been a Methodist. She complained that you could "literally" set your watch by how the service proceeded.

Also, my church seemed to hold the big Methodist church in town in especial disdain, because they played host to the local "Interfaith Council" and its pastoralship/laity were known to be liberal wishy-washy cherry picker types. Might've also been jealousy because they were the most prestigious, influential church in the area at the time, barring the Mormons (who ran things behind the scenes).

So, I have a job interview as a Church Secretary,

That desperate for a job? :scratch: I don't mean to be daft, but this strikes me as highly unusual. Wouldn't they screen you to make sure you're at least a half-assed believer and not a heathen/atheist? I came from Assembly of God, the mother of all Pentecostal denominations, and at my old church they would've put you through an inquisition before hiring you for anything, unless it was to scrub toilets at 2 a.m. on a thursday.

Edited to add: at my old church we had a lady who had been a Methodist. She complained that you could "literally" set your watch by how the service proceeded.

Also, my church seemed to hold the big Methodist church in town in especial disdain, because they played host to the local "Interfaith Council" and its pastoralship/laity were known to be liberal wishy-washy cherry picker types. Might've also been jealousy because they were the most prestigious, influential church in the area at the time, barring the Mormons (who ran things behind the scenes).

I just graduated 12/07 from a well-known Christian college in the area, so I guess it's one of those situations where they're assuming that I'm a Christian. I'm also former-AoG, and I know, I'm fully expecting an inquisition, or at least to be asked where my "church home" is. And yes, I'm VERY desperate, as I only have about 4 more weeks before I need to start paying off student loans. Whomever spoke to me on the phone sounded nice enough, so I'm hoping it works out well. And it's in a Church, which I'm hoping to assume will be a "safe" place in West Philadelphia (...born & raised. :wicked:)

What I know of Methodists echoes what others have said, pretty mainstream, liberal bunch. Certainly no bible thumping or alter calling.

I understand about economic choices too. I worked for an evangelical television ministry for a year when I graduated university. And I was well into my deconversion at that point. Some days it was really difficult, but it was a good job, in my field and I needed a job.

Good luck,

Heather

My inlaws are nominally Methodist... and you'd never known it unless you asked them. From what I've seen, it's one of the least nutty evangelical denominations. My mother-in-law definitely 'believes' in some manner, but she laughs at my blasphemous jokes (then feels a bit guilty). My father-in-law goes to church with her sometimes, and I suspect that he would claim some sort of belief if one were to ask him... but I think it'd be for appearances only.

If I was going to work for any church, I'd probably choose Methodist.