Goodbye Jesus

Imagine there's no heaven

Mythra

I get so sick of christians telling us what's going to happen to us when we die.

I decided to tell christians what's going to happen to them when they die.

There is no heaven. No eternal life. No streets paved with gold.

When your heart stops, oxygen ceases to be delivered to your brain. Your brain stops functioning as the neuron transfer slows and eventually ceases firing.

Your personality, memories, emotions, and identity are all contained within your brain. They all stop.

You go the way of all living things. You return to the state you were in before you were conceived. You share a common end with everyone else on this site. You cease to exist.

Jesus' promise that you will never die is just as reliable and trustworthy as Jesus' promise that "whatever you ask in my name, I will do it".

In spite of all your believing and striving and repenting and struggling, and christian fellowship and financial giving, and evangelizing and bible reading, this is what will happen to you when you die. period.

So what you're saying is that I'm going to get that really long nap I've been wanting?

That almost sounds like heaven to me right now. ;)

Tap

May you rest in peace, sweet Tap.

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase 'I'll sleep when I'm dead,' doesn't it?

Merlin

According to the OT, isn't that what happens when you die?  You just, die?

According to E-Sword.....this is all I can find in the OT.

H7585

שׁאל שׁאול

she'ôl she'ôl

sheh-ole', sheh-ole'

From H7592; hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranian retreat), including its accessories and inmates: - grave, hell, pit.

Thanks TAP.....I'm sorry, I cannot help but think of the cartoon movie Hercules, while reading that definition.  Hades, in charge of the underworld, according to Greek Mythology, and ruling over the pit of souls in torment.

But did you catch the most important thing there? We agreed. I cannot find that hell is mentioned as anything but the grave in the OT.

Guest JP1283
But did you catch the most important thing there? We agreed. I cannot find that hell is mentioned as anything but the grave in the OT.

A Christian and an ExChristian agreed? Hell...er, the grave...must have frozen over!

I'll do that. However.....I won't twist and turn anything to make it sound good or feel better. But I will seek deeper understanding through original translations (Hebrew and Greek) and then take it from there.

Peace upon all of you~ See you in three weeks.

Totally at Peace

Kind of amazing to me that that Beatles song is/was so popular. My dad said he knew it was a classic the instant he heard it. What percentage of the population would agree with the ideas of that song today? Dark ages, here we come.

Heaven, even when I was a kid, sounded like just another kind of hell to me.

I listened to all the descriptions, none of which involved crayons or sea shells or tamale pie, and prayed I wouldn't have to spend eternity in such a place.

Heaven, even when I was a kid, sounded like just another kind of hell to me.

I listened to all the descriptions, none of which involved crayons or sea shells or tamale pie, and prayed I wouldn't have to spend eternity in such a place.

I agree, yet christians look forward to being on their knees for all eternity worshiping without question. Sounds like fun to me! NOT!

I agree, yet christians look forward to being on their knees for all eternity worshiping without question.  Sounds like fun to me!  NOT!

I kind of dreaded the heaven described in the bible too. So what I did, was I pictured what would be heaven here on earth for me (A hut on the beach in Tahiti - minus the big banana spiders), and I figured that heaven would at least have to be that good. So, I was kinda looking forward to that.

But non-existance works for me too. And the difference is, it's not make-believe.

I agree, yet christians look forward to being on their knees for all eternity worshiping without question.  Sounds like fun to me!  NOT!

:grin:

Yeah, some "reward"!

Can you imagine the dearth of respondents to "...any information leading to the arrest and conviction of..." if the reward offered was eternal unquestioning worship?

Let's not be so quick to judge what happens in the afterlife, if there is one. I don't think anyone here can positively say that there is not an afterlife. I'm not trying to bother you people, but it just struck a nerve and I had to say it. Personaly I think it is as bad as a christian saying that Heaven/Hell is real when they have no objective evidence to support it.

-Jake

P.S. I am a huge fan of objective evidence.

Right, nobody can say there is or isn't one, which renders it completely irrelevant in terms of how we live here and now. Here and now is all we know we have so we damn well better live well while we have it.

bdp

Let's not be so quick to judge what happens in the afterlife, if there is one. I don't think anyone here can positively say that there is not an afterlife. I'm not trying to bother you people, but it just struck a nerve and I had to say it. Personaly I think it is as bad as a christian saying that Heaven/Hell is real when they have no objective evidence to support it.

-Jake

P.S. I am a huge fan of objective evidence.

whatifidon't,

Personally, nothing quick about my judgment, unless you consider quick to be about 58 years of weighing, considering, adopting various contradictory explanations, discarding them as baseless, and finally arriving at the conclusion that I wouldn't be questioning at all if I hadn't been pressed into it by a whole lot of people unwilling/unable to accept the obvious.

Since I've been an adult thinker, I've found no reason to give credibility of any kind to the whimsy and fantasy which marks charming and imaginative childhood.

To anyone in my life who's unwilling/unable to accept the obvious, I say, "Go with it! Have fun!"

(Just don't, please, maintain any expectation that I or others ought to consider fanciful constructs as having equal weight with observable reality.)

Guest Priapus

Heaven and Hell went with God when I freed myself from all of their burdensome mystery and decided to focus instead on living my life in the present, each day. The only discussion of afterlife I know comes hand-in-hand with talk of a God to please en route to getting there. I called on God and Jesus faithfully as an adult for 12 years and got nothing. I can only conclude that since this is bunk, the rest is unreliable as well.

I see nothing to tell me there's anything beyond the cool, quiet, peaceful embrace of the grave.

The only discussion of afterlife I know comes hand-in-hand with talk of a God to please en route to getting there.

In my case, there was a period of accepting a kind of godless and automatic reincarnation. Eventually, though, I had no choice but to face that any mechanism by which reincarnation could be accomplished would fly in the face of all I knew to be true of the brain, the mind, the senses, et al. I discarded this belief in favor of not needing to maintain contradictory and mutually exclusive premises.

To me, it's not worth the schizophrenic thinking it takes to be an active participant in The Great Afterlife Game.

Kind of amazing to me that that Beatles song is/was so popular.  My dad said he knew it was a classic the instant he heard it.  What percentage of the population would agree with the ideas of that song today?  Dark ages, here we come.

Sorry to nitpick, but it was from John Lennon's solo work, not the Beatles.

Right, nobody can say there is or isn't one, which renders it completely irrelevant in terms of how we live here and now.  Here and now is all we know we have so we damn well better live well while we have it.

bdp

Quoted For Truth