Goodbye Jesus

Wicca

Guest sugRsuccubus

Guest lenbitme

As far as I understand Wicca according to what I've gathered from my boyfriend who practices it, it is nothing like the usual strict hell and damnation Western idea of "gawd" and "religion". I was thinking... if religion could do any good for anyone it would really have to be a lot like Wicca. No fucking book that you have to strictly follow, no fear associated with it, a very open minded approach to living and much emphasis on individuality and nature and spirituality instead of religiosity.

I think the same is true for most of the religions in the Neo-Pagan and Pagan Reconstructionist spectrum... Ásatrú, Hellenic and Roman polytheism, Celtic paganism, Kemetic reconstructionism and the lot.

We all seem to be on friendly terms with our chosen gods, and we do like a good party, too. :party:

Guest Zenobia

You do find "fundamentalist" pagans though... LOL... it seems in any belief system there are people who have control issues who need lots of rules to live by and to force onto others.

I for one am mostly a solitary practicioner of many pagan practices, I dabble in a little of everything, but only mingle with others a few times a year.

• 2 weeks later...
As far as I understand Wicca according to what I've gathered from my boyfriend who practices it, it is nothing like the usual strict hell and damnation Western idea of "gawd" and "religion". I was thinking... if religion could do any good for anyone it would really have to be a lot like Wicca. No fucking book that you have to strictly follow, no fear associated with it, a very open minded approach to living and much emphasis on individuality and nature and spirituality instead of religiosity.

no...the best religion is anticosmic satanism

that is what i follow...we dont strictly follow anything either

I openly admit to know very little about Wicca, but judging from the one Wiccan I know personally, that religion can't be that bad. :)

Hey lenbitme. I would like to suggest to you that you do some research with regards to not just religion, but also science and that in the process of doing so, you don't look for what "suits you best" but what is true, because the truth will be the truth no matter who it suits or doesn't suit. Look at all the evidence, use your head and reason, learn some pros but also criticisms of each and reach your own conclusion.

Do your own thinking and reach your own conclusions, but do so on the basis of evidence, because without it, it's just one person's word against another's.

Guest lenbitme

JernJane: I appreciate your advice very much, because I completely and absolutely agree with you. My point in my original post wasn't necessarily that I was looking for a religion to follow or that I even agree with religion as a whole, although my standpoint wasn't mentioned there. I tend to follow knowledge rather than belief. For all of those here who are spiritual in some way, that isn't to say I look down on anyone for moving from Christianity to another belief system. I tend to think that everyone is an individual and should find out what suits them best, even if I don't agree with it. My boyfriend is actually Wiccan and I attend his study group with him because I want him to know that I support him. The Wiccan beliefs intrigued me, and though I don't hold them to be true I am fond of them and proud of this coven for being so eclectic and open-minded and well studied. I have always admired him for being well-rounded and thinking outside of the box, and now I can see that a small portion is attributed to his Wiccan faith (although he has been an independent thinker all his life). The more I observe Wicca, the more drawn to it I am and the more I want to learn about it. Having a negative religious background I am glad to find a faith that I may never subscribe to, but can see many more pros than cons for following it.

Wicca, in some senses, is very open minded, i think it is entirely because it lacks the mainstream power that other religions have....if it became more prevalent surely it would begin to corrupt. Wicca is broken up into hundreds of different groups, if it were more mainstream it would likely be thousands, it is open to interpretation, but there are some gods/goddesses that are solid and fairly undeniable (gaia and pan)...it puts a non-scientific bunch of powers into the hands of non scientific individuals, which is pretty much what Christianity did in the early years...and modern wicca is simply a regurgitation of solar, lunar, and earthly cults from the last twohundred thousand years....

in essence all I am trying to say is that wicca is just as divisive, potentially, as christianity...just as easily interpreted, over interpreted, and over indulged (by zealots) as any other religion, and just as silly to believe in as any religion.

i still greet my Wiccan friends with a Merry Meet and Blessed Be however....!

Guest lenbitme

Perhaps, then, my boyfriend's take on Wicca and his coven's way of going about it are what I perceive to be the ideal picture of what religion should be. As I understand it from him, "gawd" is not a being but a force. Much like a law of nature.