Goodbye Jesus

infallible but why skip around versions!

Guest ramstin

Guest ramstin

Lately I have been using the wallet ex-christian guide to the bible located on this site. What is funny is that when I quote Isaiah where it says God created Evil according to Christianity they will find a new version of the bible where the wording was changed to God creates unpleasentness or some crap like that. I can't see how something is infallible but yet we have to have a new version of it every other month where passages changed to promote agendas :loser:

Just goes to show you how desparate Christians can be to try to assimilate the world.

Freedom is irrelevant.

Critical Thinking is irrelevant.

You will be assimilated.

Resistance is futile.

So very true. I wonder when it will put Evolution criticism into the Bible?

Maybe in Jesus teachings?

Something like this:

"Blessed is he who believes in Creationism, because he will defeat the Evil Evolutionists."

Just goes to show you how desparate Christians can be to try to assimilate the world.

Freedom is irrelevant.

Critical Thinking is irrelevant.

You will be assimilated.

Resistance is futile.

Like Niven said: the Xorgs!

War is Peace

Freedom is Slavery

Ignorance is Strength

"He who controls the past controls the future; he who controls the present controls the past." -- O'Brien

Just reminded me of those lovely quotes from 1984

War is Peace

Freedom is Slavery

Ignorance is Strength

"He who controls the past controls the future; he who controls the present controls the past." --  O'Brien

Just reminded me of those lovely quotes from 1984

That's the quote I have had in the back of my head for weeks, and couldn't remember. Thanks.

Actually that was one of the main turning points in my deconversion, when I read a preface to the revised standard version of the bible, that literally said 'previous versions of the bible have been riddled with translation errors'.

I was like 'huh? but you study those erroneous bibles to come to the conclusions about god, then re-translate it to support those conclusions?'

Such a load of shite.

What is funny is that when I quote Isaiah where it says God created Evil according to Christianity they will find a new version of the bible where the wording was changed to God creates unpleasentness or some crap like that.
And how is it that they don't think that that in itself is not an evil act? God damn, Christians can be so funny.

Lately I have been using the wallet ex-christian guide to the bible located on this site. What is funny is that when I quote Isaiah where it says God created Evil according to Christianity they will find a new version of the bible where the wording was changed to God creates unpleasentness or some crap like that. I can't see how something is infallible but yet we have to have a new version of it every other month where passages changed to promote agendas :loser:

Ramstin, I was wondering if you could use that guide to quote from Isaiah where God said he created evil? I thought there was a verse somewhere that God said he created good and he created evil... but I can't find it now via my resources. Also, I know that the 'book' says that everything that was created was created by God and for God, therefore that must include evil. And may I ask you what specifically it is that you have issue with in regards to God creating evil? Thanks.

Actually that was one of the main turning points in my deconversion, when I read a preface to the revised standard version of the bible, that literally said 'previous versions of the bible have been riddled with translation errors'.

I was like 'huh?  but you study those erroneous bibles to come to the conclusions about god, then re-translate it to support those conclusions?' 

Such a load of shite.

I have said it a lot since I left Xtianity. The Bible is one of the best tools around to help shove Xtianity in the toilet.

Guest ramstin

Here it is

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things." -Isaiah 45:7

Amanda,

Now I have no problem if someone wants to believe in a God that made everything but it just gets on my nerves that according to them God made everything but evil :ugh: If they want a omnipotent God that made all they have to accept that it is where evil comes from.

The very notion of God changing nature and attitude from one scripture to the next throws into doubt the basis of all biblical faith. First of all, God is promoted within biblical religion as omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent; the ultimate perfection. If something is perfect, it must remain constant and consistent in order to legitimately qualify as such. If it changes in any way, shape or form, this demonstrates that its previous state or position was in some way less valid than the one it subsequently adopts, and therefore the item in question loses all validity as one that is "perfect". Second of all, it demonstrates the imperfection of the faith's core scripture, i.e., that it was written by a number of individuals from a number of eras and cultures with very particular political, socio-cultural and religious intentions (not to mention preconceptions) in mind. Therefore the emphasis of certain claims shifts and transforms based upon the intentions of the pen holder. This is before you even get into the extensive editing undertaken by various churches and religious institutions throughout history.

Or to look at it another way, perhaps one day it will evolve into something quite tolerable.

I'm just going to enjoy my life, family, friends and others while here on this earth. 

IMO that is up there with the most important reasons we are here.

This creator, I don't have a problem with.  What I personally take issue with is this; religious books claiming that their god is "the" god, using their god to condone certain atrocities and crimes against humankind, writing about how their god does terrible things to people, etc. 

I think that many people see different things when they look at a spiritual discipline. Some see Wicca and/or Druids as terrible/demonic, and some see the bible god as the evil one... yet obviously the people involved in each of their own particular sect see some benefit, or are just blindly adhering out of peer pressure or the like. I find ALL spiriutual (and academic) endeavors enriching, and strangely enough... the freedom to let me do that came from my eventual perceptions of the Bible's teachings. It seems to me, it is unimportant if anyone else chooses a different way than I! If one way is not working for you (anymore), why stay there? Why not go where it does work for you? Why can't that be many places? ...as long as it is NOT at the expense of another living thing.

Many atrocities in the Bible are tough calls. No one wants their children to reap some of the repercussions of their actions, yet hard lessons make significant changes and that is how they learn to be a better person. (I also believe we are ALL evolving collectively together.) I can usually research most scriptual texts and glean something of an enlightening lesson from it, although it may seem to be totally cruel and insensitive on the surface, or not at all what it seems on the surface. However, Chef has casually presented a couple of verses that have me baffled. I need to spend some time there... and certainly don't know all the answers. I sense that if I research this one, there will be a new, deeper lesson that will significantly make a change in my understandings. I know people can conform things to fit their world, that is the easy way... and everyone does it without knowing for the most part.

The bible describes a god who is loving but yet is described as doing terrible things to people for disobedience to his petty laws; i.e. Mixing fabrics, wearing a tzitzit, tallit-kaban, eating pork, picking up sticks on the Sabbath, head coverings, etc.  Those are so petty in this world, that is why I do not see a supreme influence in the bible at all. 

I cannot attribute such petty and humanlike behavior to a creator, if there even is one.

Careful reading might reveal that some things are not a law from God, and some things at the time were very symbolic and life was very ritualistic. Rituals can be very powerful for change, especially when attributed to a value.

There are radical extremist in any religous approach. The whole insight of a spiritual discipline deserves more respect than judging its entirity on a few people and/or their personal interpretations of it. I think the Bible is not for everyone, neither is Buddhism, Muslim, Judaism, Wicca, Suffis, or any of the many others. Perhaps it is best to evaluate a person personally, instead of labels, cultures, or whatever. What is more interesting to inspect, is how these other aspects of other people effect ourselves?