Goodbye Jesus

How has ExChristian helped you?

whatifidontwantausername?

For me it was a way to more fully vent my anger towards Christianity and on the way I developed better critical thinking skills and an almoast unhealthy respect for objective evidence.

-Jake

Goodbye Jesus
For me it was a way to more fully vent my anger towards Christianity and on the way I developed better critical thinking skills and an almoast unhealthy respect for objective evidence.

-Jake

I can speak my mind here without repercussion. With my family, I cannot.

I was in a period where I felt a bit depressed and wanted to learn more, be challenged and get new stimuli. And as soon as I started posting I realized that the site gave back some of the feelings of belonging that the Church used to give. Now suddenly, there were people I could talk to, and they had something to give back.

I used to believe I was some kind of unique case, a de-converted Christian. Am I alone? Was a question I asked myself, and when this site came up on my radar, it was like the gates of heaven had opened up. I was not alone...

All of the above.

What really makes it so successful here, though, is the people. Many of the people here communicate intelligently and have great personalities, being genuinely kind and funny people. Without all of us supporting each other with a sense of compassion and humour, ExC wouldn't be what it is today.

It helped to read of so many others that saw through the Christian belief and recognized that nothing was there. (The Emperor has no clothes!) All of the different stories and ways that people came to their senses, along with this forum, are a great support system. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

I can speak my mind here without repercussion. With my family, I cannot.

Bingo.

It gives me an insight into the Fundamentalist mind and how it works...

If the ones we get here are any indication, they don't. :)

Many of the posters have made me seriously think, both apostates and believers.

It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Amen. :grin:

It's not always easy being a white-boy Buddhist in Maine.

This site is my Sangha, my community.

Christian's have church, jew's have the synagouge and mulim's have the mosque.

What have I got?

Some of the most intelligent, caring and thought-provoking people I have ever had the pleasure of being associated with.

:thanks:

Its been a refuge for me, off and on for two years. Its wonderful to be able to say what I think without that judgement on what I might say..

And..to just read here, brings me a sense of reality..

It was wonderful for me to learn that I was not alone, and to find people who really understand what it's like to leave my religion (and 20+ years of my life) behind.

I'm still waiting to see if this place will do something for me. I find things are not cooperating with finding what I want to help me. Things are very irksome right now. I get a depression of things not working out the way I like such things to in my life. Right now this summer stuff is really getting on my nerves. And nothing nice is happening for me at this time.

This place has been wonderful for me. I have met some really great people here, and not only got to vent about things, but gain insights about others as well. As someone who knows the Bible too well and yet I don't believe it at all anymore, it helps to have others who also studied their way out of their faith to bounce things off of. I enjoy many of the conversations here, and even the controversies because I feel like we are a family.

I can honestly say that I would still be a christian if it wasn't for this place. I remember coming here very cocky thinking I had all the answers. It wasn't long before I was staring blankly at my screen, thinking of a smart reply to a question I had no idea how to answer. The people here forced me to re-think in what I believed in, and why. It was like having surgery without any anaestesia(sp).

Kevin:

Finding this place was awesome for me. It was a place I could go to talk about all my pent up anger against xtianity without fear of backlash. Met a lot of cool people here and found some really great advice. I have a much easier time expressing myself online than face to face, anyways.

I used to believe I was some kind of unique case, a de-converted Christian. Am I alone? Was a question I asked myself, and when this site came up on my radar, it was like the gates of heaven had opened up. I was not alone...

I was gonna post here, but then I read this. And I can just say "me too"

I was dying to use my new cool emperor avatar, so I dumped 30 years of Christianity so I could use it on this site. I am relieved I didn't find the NAMBLA site first...

It's provided me with a community to replace the christian community that I belonged to. It also has really helped me grow in knowledge and in my ability to communicate with others about religious topics.

I consider many members to be good friends who have shared in my triumphs and setbacks. They've given great support as I've moved on from christianity and had to deal with what that means to my family and friends who still believe.

Thanks Dave, and thanks to everyone who makes this site the uniquely wonderful place that it is.

I was gonna post here, but then I read this.  And I can just say "me too"

Man, that's funny, that happens with some of your posts too. I see them, and say, heck what can I say, it was already said.

And then of course I post anyway with something completely different! :grin:

Thanks Dave, and thanks to everyone who makes this site the uniquely wonderful place that it is.

Yeah really. Thanks, Dave. This site is a breath of air.

But, to be truthful, I'm not sure who Dave is. Does he post as "webmaster" here? Is his testimony in the archives?

signed. meohsoslo

Yeah really.  Thanks, Dave.  This site is a breath of air.

But, to be truthful, I'm not sure who Dave is.  Does he post as "webmaster" here?  Is his testimony in the archives? 

signed.  meohsoslo

Mythra,

Yes, Dave is the webmaster. You can read his testimony here.

1. Provides me a place where I can express my atheist views.

2. Provides me the opportunity to converse with a variety of intelligent people, in an atmosphere free of religious oppression.

3. Has most assuredly taught me the value of respecting people's opinons.

4. Has given me the tools necessary to sharpen my skills in debating Xians (and others).

5. Has been the conduit to my discovering powerful atheist literature/web sites I hadn't known before.

All in all, this site has been the lifesaver I needed after I abandoned the "B.S.S. Xianity".

[b.S.S. - Bullshit Ship] :grin:

1.  Provides me a place where I can express my atheist views.

2.  Provides me the opportunity to converse with a variety of intelligent people, in an atmosphere free of religious oppression.

3.  Has most assuredly taught me the value of respecting people's opinons.

4.  Has given me the tools necessary to sharpen my skills in debating Xians (and others).

5.  Has been the conduit to my discovering powerful atheist literature/web sites I hadn't known before.

All in all, this site has been the lifesaver I needed after I abandoned the "B.S.S. Xianity".

[b.S.S. - Bullshit Ship]  :grin:

Man TK has it down to a science. Those are very similar reasons why I like ExC.

I think the most important reason though is the fact that years of repression from being told to shut the fuck up because I am what I am are coming off by venting in this most wonderful of places.

Thanks Dave. And thank you everyone for making it so damn enjoyable.