Goodbye Jesus

Christmas in July - card vendors start to

scotter

My area’s card shops have put up the Christmas ornaments sections. Some traditional colorful balls and tiny soldier nutcrackers, some 2005 capitalizations from Disney cartoons and Star Roars….

There are very few independent card vendors here. In the malls there are the two franchises: Howlmark and Kowtow. That pretty much is it.

Is it that people look forward to Christmas so eagerly that people get ready for Christmas preparations in July?

This thing was pushed earlier and earlier. I remember the days the “tradition” of Christmas preparation was somewhat after the Thanksgiving weekend. It was then pushed earlier right after Halloween like beginning of Nov…..and pushed even earlier before Halloween. So you see card shops during Halloween with the imitated spider webs, bats and fool skeletons flying all over, covering the Christmas section too. I worry if that would scare the baby Child in the Nativity set.

Now by September is like the Christmas best-loved album with “Rudolph the Jingle Bell Rock” shown on TV, and you are reminded that you better Order Early!

Bookstores are not slow either. The magazine section has a few Holiday Crafts magazines in between by now. Some combine with Thanksgiving turkey and pumpkin pie baking, some are stand alones. It is easy to tell because of the red-green color.

I think LOL-Mart has some white ceramic angels and Christmas quilt crafts listed in its August flyers.

Or is it capitalism at its best?

Goodbye Jesus

I can understand the craft stuff..it takes a while to make and I have a box full of good intentions to prove it.

The other stuff though..cards, ornaments and other decorations, that's just ridiculous!

American culture is just crass.

I'm surprised there aren't cards for midway between Christmas, Thanksgiving and Halloween...ya know, Santa Claus, a pilgrim and a turkey carving a jack-o-latern.

American culture is just crass. 

I'm surprised there aren't cards for midway between Christmas, Thanksgiving and Halloween...ya know, Santa Claus, a pilgrim and a turkey carving a jack-o-latern.

Hmm..new marketing scheme...

Hmm..new marketing scheme...

Maybe I missed my calling... :)