Goodbye Jesus

Finding Local Free Thinkers

Misterspock1

I looked and looked to see if I could find a topic about this, but wasn't successful. If this has already been posted, I apologize.

Is there a website or something where I can find local freethinkers clubs in my area? I have tried Google, but it didn't yield anything relevant. Is there a resource where I can look this up? I would really like to find other people around here who think like I do, and perhaps have gone through some similar things. In my neck of the woods, Bible thumpers are all too prominent and free thinkers are few and far between.

Misterspock,

I looked in Meetup.com for possible groups in your area and I did find a philosophy discussion group -

http://socratescafe.meetup.com/119/ Don't know how far away it is from you or when it meets. Sounds like something I would check out if I were looking for thoughtful people.

Check for a CFI (Center for Inquiry) office or group near you. They often have meetings, lectures, and events like Darwin Day.

http://centerforinquiry.net/

Unfortunately you live in Sprangfield. I have a friend who used to live in Sprangfield and he told me about it.

I suggest you move to another area, like the Northeast or the West coast. If you don’t want to go that far, Kansas City has several non-Christian organizations.

If moving is not practical, you might consider trying to start an atheist, agnostic, ex-Christian, non-Christian, freethinker, or similar type meetup in your area. Use meetup.com.

Good luck!

Guest quietheart

I grew up in Springfield, how many religious colleges are in that city now? At one point I literally lived right around the corner from BBC. I miss it, but don't really know of any groups up there. When I lived there I was still a Christian. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Es

I grew up in Springfield, how many religious colleges are in that city now? At one point I literally lived right around the corner from BBC. I miss it, but don't really know of any groups up there. When I lived there I was still a Christian. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Es

Lol! There are quite a few. There's Central Bible College (I live just down the street), Baptist Bible College and Evangel University in the city limits. Then there are others not that far away, like Southwest Baptist University in Bolivar.

I lived in this area when I was a Christian, and still live here now. For the most part, I like the area, though the Christian atmosphere can definitely be suffocating at times (though it was definitely worse when I was still in college - a Christian school). Been thinking about getting a change of scenery, but don't know how financially practical it would be.

Misterspock,

I looked in Meetup.com for possible groups in your area and I did find a philosophy discussion group -

http://socratescafe.meetup.com/119/ Don't know how far away it is from you or when it meets. Sounds like something I would check out if I were looking for thoughtful people.

Bookmarked this, and will keep an eye on it for future meet-ups. They don't have a very large group, but it sounds promising. Thanks!

Check for a CFI (Center for Inquiry) office or group near you. They often have meetings, lectures, and events like Darwin Day.

http://centerforinquiry.net/

Unfortunately, about the closest one to me is in Chicago, eight hours away.

Guest quietheart

Es

Lol! There are quite a few. There's Central Bible College (I live just down the street), Baptist Bible College and Evangel University in the city limits. Then there are others not that far away, like Southwest Baptist University in Bolivar.

I lived in this area when I was a Christian, and still live here now. For the most part, I like the area, though the Christian atmosphere can definitely be suffocating at times (though it was definitely worse when I was still in college - a Christian school). Been thinking about getting a change of scenery, but don't know how financially practical it would be.

I remember all 3, is Drury still there? Wasn't it a religious college? My parents went to BBC, that's where they met. I wanted to go to college as far away as I could, unfortunately I didn't start college till I was in my mid 20's, but it was in another state :) and wasn't a bible college :). I remember every time I met someone new almost always the first question was "What church do you go to?", so yeah it's a bit stifling. I think mostly I miss the country around there, it was always so beautiful. I hope you get what your heart desires regarding moving, I know it can be rough right now with the economy.

Es

I remember all 3, is Drury still there? Wasn't it a religious college? My parents went to BBC, that's where they met. I wanted to go to college as far away as I could, unfortunately I didn't start college till I was in my mid 20's, but it was in another state :) and wasn't a bible college :). I remember every time I met someone new almost always the first question was "What church do you go to?", so yeah it's a bit stifling. I think mostly I miss the country around there, it was always so beautiful. I hope you get what your heart desires regarding moving, I know it can be rough right now with the economy.

Es

As far as I know Drury isn't a Christian school. It is a private college, but I don't think it has any religious affiliation.

But yeah, it seems like almost everyone around me talks about church and God all the time. While they may not be the most devout of believers, they still attend church on at least a semi-regular basis. The city of Springfield though is just about the right size for me, the crime rate is low, and traffic (for the most part) isn't too bad. Plus, it is beautiful country.

Guest quietheart

Es

As far as I know Drury isn't a Christian school. It is a private college, but I don't think it has any religious affiliation.

But yeah, it seems like almost everyone around me talks about church and God all the time. While they may not be the most devout of believers, they still attend church on at least a semi-regular basis. The city of Springfield though is just about the right size for me, the crime rate is low, and traffic (for the most part) isn't too bad. Plus, it is beautiful country.

I probably just thought it was cause some of my friends were planning on going there, that's why I asked.

I always preferred the country, that's where my Grandparents lived and I spent every summer. How's the downtown area doing? I remember having to ride the bus downtown and changing at the terminal to go to my doctors. Compared to other cities its size it is pretty good I think. I was supposed to go there a few months ago for my high schools 50 year anniversary but couldn't, hopefully I'll make it over for my 20 year reunion in 4 years. What school did you go to? I went to several, lol. I've enjoyed talking to someone from my hometown.

Es

I'd love to find freethinkers in my area, but they'd either be about an hour away (my parents likely won't let me drive quite that far) or they wouldn't let in anyone under 18.

Which is why I'm like to start a religious-tolerance/freedom club at my school, I know tons of non-Xtians (Wiccans, a Buddhist, two Jewish kids, and tons of atheists/agnostics, and like 3 Mormons, even though they're Xtian but not normally counted as such). The problem is, the school jsut got a GSA in my freshman year, I doubt that they'll want a religious tolerance club in there. :/

I'd love to find freethinkers in my area, but they'd either be about an hour away (my parents likely won't let me drive quite that far) or they wouldn't let in anyone under 18.

Which is why I'm like to start a religious-tolerance/freedom club at my school, I know tons of non-Xtians (Wiccans, a Buddhist, two Jewish kids, and tons of atheists/agnostics, and like 3 Mormons, even though they're Xtian but not normally counted as such). The problem is, the school jsut got a GSA in my freshman year, I doubt that they'll want a religious tolerance club in there. :/

I've thought about starting up some sort of free thinkers or non-Christian group down here, but I don't know how many people I would be able to get to attend. There are people down here who I think would be interested, but a lot of them probably have external religious pressure. Plus, it may not be the most popular idea in this area. Sometimes I equate doing something like that with martyrdom. LOL

Es

I probably just thought it was cause some of my friends were planning on going there, that's why I asked.

I always preferred the country, that's where my Grandparents lived and I spent every summer. How's the downtown area doing? I remember having to ride the bus downtown and changing at the terminal to go to my doctors. Compared to other cities its size it is pretty good I think. I was supposed to go there a few months ago for my high schools 50 year anniversary but couldn't, hopefully I'll make it over for my 20 year reunion in 4 years. What school did you go to? I went to several, lol. I've enjoyed talking to someone from my hometown.

Es

I didn't move down to this area until I went to college, and I went to SBU in Bolivar. That's where my parents live, and where my dad teaches. After I graduated college I moved to Springfield, trying to "secularize" myself a bit. Bolivar is like Christian Hick Central in a lot of respects. :lmao:

The city has been expanding a bit, though not extremely fast. They put in a new interchange with a flying overpass at I-44 and US 65 that is somewhat similar to the Grandview triangle in KC. Things flow a lot more smoothly at that intersection with it, though you still catch the occasional out-of-towners that don't know how to handle it. They're working on redesigning the intersection of Highway 13 and I-44 to (hopefully) make traffic flow more smoothly so there won't be such a backup on 13 coming into town. Downtown hasn't changed that much in recent years, though they are trying to make it more appealing for younger people (all those bars aren't really a family-friendly setting). But you can still drive through the area on a Friday night and dodge drunks (or cars, if you're one of the drunks). LOL

I've thought about starting up some sort of free thinkers or non-Christian group down here, but I don't know how many people I would be able to get to attend. There are people down here who I think would be interested, but a lot of them probably have external religious pressure. Plus, it may not be the most popular idea in this area. Sometimes I equate doing something like that with martyrdom. LOL

Indeed, the interest is a big enough issue. At my school one needs a petition with so many signatures to start a club, then you have to find a sponsor, and given the cause of the club (prayer, gay/straight issues, Darfur, or Beta Club) you may have to campaign for your club to start.

There's a few prayer/Bible study clubs at my school, so they'd have to let the religious freedom one in.

There's a few prayer/Bible study clubs at my school, so they'd have to let the religious freedom one in.

And I thought the public school system was all anti-Christian and pro-atheist. I thought God had been taken out of school. Apparently I was misinformed. :lmao:

Guest saveyourbrain

Meetup.com is a great source, it worked for me. In a short time i've made 2 good friends that live fairly close, and met a smaller group that has a number of freethinkers. These people have become my friends very quickly, and have been very supportive in a difficult time. This is in a smaller and very religious area. Get creative with your searches, email the folks in charge and see if it is a fit. Proceed with caution, but i think this will really help you to find local people that understand what you are thinking.

Cut and paste this search below into your browser (I just searched atheist in your area) and it will show a number of the different types of groups, from "brigthts" to "sceptics" to "freethinkers", etc. There is a lot of overlap. If you have a particular area of interest (such as secular humanism), check that out. Hope that helps, it has really worked great for me so far. Also, if it isn't too far, check out the il side of springfield as well.

http://www.meetup.com/search/?keywords=ath...itButton=Search

Meetup.com is a great source, it worked for me. In a short time i've made 2 good friends that live fairly close, and met a smaller group that has a number of freethinkers. These people have become my friends very quickly, and have been very supportive in a difficult time. This is in a smaller and very religious area. Get creative with your searches, email the folks in charge and see if it is a fit. Proceed with caution, but i think this will really help you to find local people that understand what you are thinking.

Cut and paste this search below into your browser (I just searched atheist in your area) and it will show a number of the different types of groups, from "brigthts" to "sceptics" to "freethinkers", etc. There is a lot of overlap. If you have a particular area of interest (such as secular humanism), check that out. Hope that helps, it has really worked great for me so far.

http://www.meetup.com/search/?keywords=ath...itButton=Search

Thanks, I will. Got to get to bed tonight, but I will check it out tomorrow.

Also, if it isn't too far, check out the il side of springfield as well.

LOL

Springfield, Missouri is in the southwest portion of Missouri, and Springfield, Illinois is in central Illinois. It's about six hours away from me.

• 2 weeks later...
Misterspock,

They have a meeting tomorrow morning. I have joined the group and am planning to go. I am REALLY looking forward to this!

I feel so lonely...

I searched my area and all of it is too far off.

The closest stuff is in Philly and I'd doubt they want a 17 year old to join them.

Starting something at school's not a good option either (its a Catholic School, something like that would get me kicked out).

- TORM

I've searched Meetup before and most of the groups in my area meet in downtown Minneapolis or downtown Saint Paul. I prefer not to pay an arm and a leg for parking. There has to be an alternative.

I suggest that you all start contribute to the Social Network of Ex-Christian. Click on the link above that says "Social", and then someone creates a Group for your district (if it doesn't exist already), and start building a network of people who live in your area. It doesn't mean you will have a meeting place immediately, but it could lead to it eventually.

I created a Southern California Group in there, so anyone who's in the area showing on the map, feel free to join and expand our network.

I suggest that you all start contribute to the Social Network of Ex-Christian. Click on the link above that says "Social", and then someone creates a Group for your district (if it doesn't exist already), and start building a network of people who live in your area. It doesn't mean you will have a meeting place immediately, but it could lead to it eventually.

I created a Southern California Group in there, so anyone who's in the area showing on the map, feel free to join and expand our network.

Already a member, but I joined the group for my region. That's a pretty large area, though, and I am on the northwestern fringe of it. Don't know how easy it would be to get to meetups...

Misterspock,

They have a meeting tomorrow morning. I have joined the group and am planning to go. I am REALLY looking forward to this!

Just got back. I loved it! The topic for this month was patriotism, what it is, and whether or not it is a good thing. It was nice to be around people who can actually be open-minded about stuff, rather than beating me over the head with the Bible or other fundie ideas. I just wish they met more than once a month...

Next month's topic is going to deal with the question "why do bad things happen in the world?" and how to deal with it. I am sure there will be some religious ideas presented, but the people there will be very open-minded about it. I am excited about this topic and can't wait until next month.