Goodbye Jesus

My Journey - Finding Who The Historical Jesus Was.

Anders Branderud

The journey of my life

My name is Anders Branderud. I was born in the year of 1984 in Vårberg in Stockholm [sweden]. Seven months later my family moved to Täby, north of Stockholm, and I have lived in Täby since then. I enjoy the surroundings where we live; there is a lot of nature. The nature I have enjoyed for a long time; lakes, forests, oceans, beautiful sunsets and the chirping of birds.

When I am out and talking a walk, for example along a lake, which I think is a fantastic experience; then I am often thankful to ha-Sheim – the Creator of this universe – that I have reached the point in my walk where I am today. When I am out walking in the nature it is hard to not believe that the fantastic view is the result of a Creator; that everything would be the result of a chance I consider as a very illogical alternative.

Eternity. What happens after death; that is something that I have thought much about during my life. I remember that I asked my father about that when I was about ten years old. For some time I believed that there were nothing that happened after death; but I didn't want it to be in that way. I have had several nightmares, perhaps mainly when I was in the years around 10; for example nightmares about that I had died. Now I do know what happens after death. Those who do their best to practice the many mitzwot (commandments) in Torâh (the Jewish Bible) come to heaven when they die.

I am not perfect; when I break a commandment of Torâh (the Jewish Bible) by mistake I can turn around and there is atonement for the mistake. ha-Sheim is perfect. Just as a parent has requirements of her children, does the Creator have requirements of the humans He has created, and whom He loves. There are moral laws which are for all people. There is a book of instructions – Torâh; all people will be judged after if they have followed Torâh to there utmost of their ability or not. In Hebrew Torâh means instruction.

My time as a Christian was filled with much emotions. I had many strong emotional experiences. My faith in J*esus and my love to g*od grew stronger and stronger. I visited Church regularly, I prayed much and I studied the Christian "NT" much.

Some years later: My longing to live in Israel grew stronger and stronger, as did my love for the Jews; I prayed much for them. I read much about Israel and I studied Israeli newspapers on the internet. It was in a comment to an article in an Israeli newspaper that I in 05-2007 found the Nәtzârim website (www.netzarim.co.il).

This website captured my attention directly! I sooned learned that Ribi Yәhoshua and lә-havdil J*esus were two different persons. Ribi Yәhoshua is the historical person that was born 7 years before our time in Beit-Lëkhëm [betlehem]. He grew up in Nazareth. He taught in what correspond to todays Orthodox synagouges and took care of the sick. Year C.E. 30 the Romans crucified him on a cross. It is documented that his disciples were named Nәtzârim. They were accepted among the other Torâh-practicing Jews (corresponding to today's Orthodox Jews) and prayed with them. C.E 135 Nәtzârim were expelled from Yәrushâlayim (Jerusalem) together with the other Jews. The same year is the year for the first Christian bishop. Christianity spread the concept of J*esus, which came to replace Torâh. The difference is diametrical to the historical Ribi Yәhoshua who loved Torâh and practiced Torâh to the utmost of his ability.

Ribi Yәhoshua, whom I thought I have followed since 2001 when I became a Christian, did practice that which is corresponding to today's Orthodox Judaism. This realization does, of course, have consequences. I have since 05/2007 completely stopped the practice of Christianity and I do instead practice Orthodox Judaism. Just like Ribi Yәhoshua's followers, the Nәtzârim, I regard NT (which Christians call their "New Testament") as a document that contradicts Tana"kh; and therefore I regard it as a false document, which I don't follow.

Just like Ribi Yәhoshua, I want to do my utmost to practice the mitzwot (commandments) of Torâh. I am a human loved by ha-Sheim and just like all other humans I have my weaknesses. I know that it isn't impossible to do the utmost of one's ability to follow Torâh. ha-Sheim don't require us to be perfect; He requires us to do our best to practice His Torâh.

The only sect of Judaism that had rabbis was the Perushim (Pharisées) and even the Christian NT described Ribi Yehoshua as a rabbi. Just because you are to ignorant and too lazy to read historical books doesn't mean everyone else is also ignorant. Parkes, Bagatti, Wilson, Charlesworth; all world-recognized authorities in this area leave no doubt that Ribi Yehoshua was Perushi (Pharisée), of the school of Hileil - who was also Perushi (Pharisee). There is no serious dispute about that among scholars in the field—only among ignorami who have no clue about the historians' findings.

As I said in the beginning of this presentation I am very thankful to ha-Sheim that He has taken me to the point where I am today. I look with excitement forward to practice more and more of the commandments of Torâh. For the moment I follow as much of the laws of kashrut that I have the possibility to follow; that means i.e. that I don't eat shellfish and pork. I don't work at the Jewish holidays. I cook the food before every Shabât. 18 minutes before sunset I light two candles. In the future I hope to start to attend an Orthodox Synagogue.

From Anders Branderud

Follower of Ribi Yehoshua – the Messias – in Orthodox Judaism

Ehm.. Well, I think it's a step backward even compared to xtianity. Xtians just might have an excuse for not stoning people to death,because of breaking the sabbath e.t.c. Well,jews certainly don't have one.

p.s.

What's your attitude towards Messianic Judaism?

The only sect of Judaism that had rabbis was the Perushim (Pharisées) and even the Christian NT described Ribi Yehoshua as a rabbi. Just because you are to ignorant and too lazy to read historical books doesn't mean everyone else is also ignorant. Parkes, Bagatti, Wilson, Charlesworth; all world-recognized authorities in this area leave no doubt that Ribi Yehoshua was Perushi (Pharisée), of the school of Hileil - who was also Perushi (Pharisee). There is no serious dispute about that among scholars in the field—only among ignorami who have no clue about the historians' findings.

I don't much care what you believe Anders, but I take exception to this paragraph which seems to be a blanket condemnation of everyone here---who is "to ignorant and too lazy to read historical books". I hope you don't mean it like it sounds, because many of us here have read many "historical books", perhaps not the ones you have in mind.

Welcome to the forum, Anders. As you probably know, many people have undertaken the quest to find the historical Jesus -- with mixed results. Christian liberals have found him to be a good teacher who challenged the religious and political status quo of his day. I personally think this interpretation of him is probably true but it is hard to get past the layers of myth that have been piled around him.

I do, however, agree with Raul that you are, morally, taking a step back in your belief system. From my point of view, you are going to a believe in a God who sanctioned mass genocide; who forbade killing but then told his people to kill; who sanctioned women being treated like property and even approved of polygamy and virgins as military plunder. This God also supported slavery; human sacrifice; punishing people who committed no crime for the crimes of others, and encouraged his nation, time after time, to take up holy war against any other people who held to a different belief system.

Jesus, human though he was, taught loving enemies; the God of the Jews taught killing enemies

Jesus taught, at least in world, setting the captives free; the God of the Jews taught enslaving other nations

Jesus taught caring for the sick and deformed; the God of the Jews forbade those who were not "whole" to enter his temple

Jesus, often seen by Christians as "God in the flesh" enjoyed being with sinners and even let them touch him; the God of the Jews was unapproachable to everyone

Jesus, according to the New Testament, shed his blood for his enemies; the God of the Jews demanded the blood of his enemies

Jesus said that his followers would be known by two main fruits - loving God and loving others; the God of the Jews said his followers would be known by keeping 365 Levitical laws

I'm glad you are free from Christianity. It can be a horrid belief system. But I'm not too sure you haven't jumped from the frying pan into the fire by going back to an old tribal war-god.

Nevertheless, welcome. I hope you find alot here to consider and help you on your journey.

It doesn't matter what you choose to believe, just remember, you are following the creeds and beliefs set in stone by MAN.....not a Supreme being.

Don't even get me started on the Torah/Old Testament.....That God makes no sense whatsoever..

Following a religion and believing it is a complete waste of time and a waste of a life....and there are millions into the billions wasting their lives away...I'm glad I realized this by the time I was 12.

When I am out walking in the nature it is hard to not believe that the fantastic view is the result of a Creator; that everything would be the result of a chance I consider as a very illogical alternative.

Fine,let's assume there is a Creator. Lets also assume there is afterlife,revalations and instructions. What makes you think,that your religion is true,while all the others are false?

Now I do know what happens after death.

You don't "know". You believe.

I am not perfect; when I break a commandment of Torâh (the Jewish Bible) by mistake I can turn around and there is atonement for the mistake.

Talking about "atonements"... Are there still animal sacrifices? (I am just curious)

There is a book of instructions – Torâh; all people will be judged after if they have followed Torâh to there utmost of their ability or not.

Well,that's too bad,because only 1 of 400 people is "trying to follow Torâh to there utmost of their ability".

Those who do their best to practice the many mitzwot (commandments) in Torâh (the Jewish Bible) come to heaven when they die.

Ah,yes,mitzwot is great. I especially like the folowing commandments:

To burn a city that has turned to idol worship Deut. 13:17

Not to be afraid of killing the false prophet Deut. 18:22

The rapist must marry the maiden (if she chooses) Deut. 22:29

Not to marry non-Jews Deut. 7:3

The courts must carry out the death penalty of stoning Deut. 22:24

The courts must carry out the death penalty of burning Lev. 20:14

The courts must carry out the death penalty of the sword Ex. 21:20

The courts must carry out the death penalty of strangulation Lev. 20:10

The courts must hang those stoned for blasphemy or idolatry Deut. 21:22

The court must not let the sorcerer live Ex. 22:17

Destroy the seven Canaanite nations Deut. 20:17

Not to let any of them remain alive Deut. 20:16

Wipe out the descendants of Amalek Deut. 25:19

Remember what Amalek did to the Jewish people Deut. 25:17

Keep the laws of the captive woman Deut. 21:11

Not to sell her into slavery Deut. 21:14

Not to retain her for servitude after having sexual relations with her Deut. 21:14

Great stuff. Definitely.

• Super Moderator

I'm speechless. And a little depressed.

Just another "my gawd is the true one" post. Ho Hum.

Raul,

Regarding "messianic judaism".

It's important to never lump "Messianic Jews," popularly understood as Christians, with, להבדיל [separated from], the Netzarim.

There is only one group of followers of Ribi Yәhoshua in the Orthodox Jewish community – the community in which Ribi Yәhoshua and his original Jewish followers lived – on the planet, led by an Orthodox Jew who lives, prays and is in good standing in the Orthodox Jewish community – and that's Netzarim in Ra’anna in Israel.

As the earliest church historians, most eminent modern university historians, our web site and our Khavruta (Distance Learning) texts confirm, the original teachings of Ribi YÓ™hoshua were not only accepted by most of the Pharisaic Jewish community, he had hoards of Jewish students. Contrary to popular Christian assumptions, the standards of the Jewish community didn't cause the "break." Rather, as Oxford historian-scholar James Parkes indisputedly demonstrates in his book, The Conflict of the Church and the Synagogue, it was the teachings that were perverted between the first and fourth centuries C.E. The first century teachings of Ribi YÓ™hoshua and his original Netzarim were acceptable in the Jewish community. Fourth century Christianity was the polar opposite to the original first century Pharisaic Torah teachings of Ribi YÓ™hoshua and his original Netzarim followers. Consequently, the Roman perversion of those teachings was never in the Jewish community at all! Ribi YÓ™hoshua's authentic teachings were never rejected by the Jews! And the perversion of those teachings by the Roman pagans, Christianity, was never in the Jewish community in the first place. There was no transition between the two!

From Anders Branderud

Disciple of Netzarim (www.netzarim.co.il ; source of quotes in the above post) who are authentic followers

of Ribi Yehoshua – the Messias – in Orthodox Judaism

Welcome to the forums, Anders.

I'm moving this thread out of TESTIMONIES because it doesn't meet the guidelines. If you have any questions about this decision, please PM me.

Posters, please be aware of guidelines for THEISM or SPIRITUALITY.

Guest Zenobia

Welcome Anders... I am a Jew, but on my father's side not my mother's only so you would no doubt consider me a Goi (unclean).

I grew up in a religion which was not exactly messianic judaism, but a church which combined Judaism with Christianity. We kept all of the Jewish Holy Days including the Passover and Days of Unleavened Bread. We kept the Sabbath from sunset to sunset and did no work on that day. We kept the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) from sunset to sunset and did not eat or drink as much as a drop of water. We didn't even brush our teeth on that day.

We observed all of the Old Testement dietary laws. I did not eat any beast whose hooves were not parted and which did not chew its cud. I ate no fish withoug overlapping scales and fins.

There is a great deal of symbolism in the old ways of the Hebrews which I do respect. But at the same time I have found, in my own experience, that Jews can be every bit as self-righteous and mean-spirited as people in any other religion on the face of this earth.

What Isreal is doing right now to the Palestinians is not much different than what the Jews suffered at the hands of the Nazies, or what the Russians did when they built their wall across Berlin. So I do not hold the people of Isreal in any special place - I cannot condone suffering caused by human hands, no matter who those people may be.

I wish you well on your journey - but remember always to keep your eyes open. The Torrah has a good deal of wisdom in it, yes, but there is wisdom to be found in many places oustide of the Torrah and sometimes the greatest wisdom is found from the most humble sources. So watch your pride, because the more prideful you become the less wise you will be.

Welcome, I spent about a year studying Orthodox Judaism after leaving Christianity and quite a bit of time debating Messianic "Jews" before then. Unlike everyone else here apparently, I think you have taken a step forward morally, not backward. Christianity was a step backward for humanity in my opinion, a denial of natural law and a self-contradiction with the theology of Judaism it claims to come from.

That being said, I would be very careful to make sure you really know what you're talking about before you start running around saying the only reason anyone disagrees with you is because they haven't read your sources. I could easily make the same claim about some of the things you've said, especially considering you're mainly using a website with a clear agenda to show that everyone else (except one book by one historian) is "wrong." For example:

Contrary to popular Christian assumptions, the standards of the Jewish community didn't cause the "break." Rather, as Oxford historian-scholar James Parkes indisputedly demonstrates in his book, The Conflict of the Church and the Synagogue, it was the teachings that were perverted between the first and fourth centuries C.E. The first century teachings of Ribi YÓ™hoshua and his original Netzarim were acceptable in the Jewish community...And the perversion of those teachings by the Roman pagans, Christianity, was never in the Jewish community in the first place. There was no transition between the two!

There are several "eminent historians" I can think of who would disagree with this theory strongly. Just because one person in academia says it doesn't make it universally or even widely agreed with.

Christianity was a step backward for humanity in my opinion, a denial of natural law

Well,it depends on what you mean by "natural law".

Welcome to the forums, Anders.

I'm moving this thread out of TESTIMONIES because it doesn't meet the guidelines. If you have any questions about this decision, please PM me.

Posters, please be aware of guidelines for THEISM or SPIRITUALITY.

Thanks Pitchu. I agree, it doesn't fit Testimonies at all.

Christianity was a step backward for humanity in my opinion, a denial of natural law

Well,it depends on what you mean by "natural law".

Yeah, I just came back to fix that. I mean something more along the lines of "common sense" or pragmatic. I see a great deal of the Christian ethic as plain suicidal to apply to real life, particularly in the significantly more brutal world it was written in. Sure, turn the other cheek, for example, sounds good today in the democratic first world where there are police and laws but in the context of the society Jesus was in, I don't think what he was saying was progressive at all.

It's like one of my old favorite Jewish writers, Rabbi Telushikin said, no one tells the Jews they should of turned the other cheek when Hitler came to power- even though many say it's the better thing to do compared to the brutal sounding "an eye for an eye." The way I see it, it sounds good when Gandhi says, "an eye for an eye, makes the world go blind"- but if you turn the other cheek instead, everyone but the bad people are blind and that's even worse! I'd rather evil be stopped than practice or even endorse Jesus's non-violent "ideal." All things are relative to the situation at hand.

• 1 month later...

Ahh!,

Christianity claims that there is continuity from Judaism (le-havdil) to Christianity, from Ribi Yehoshua (le-havdil) to Yesh"u / J*esus, from Pâqid Ya•aqov ha-Tzadiq Bën-Dâvid (le-havdil) to St. J*ames, from Shimon "Keiphâ" Bar-Yonâh (le-havdil) to St. P*eter, etc. Christianity also acknowledges the historical record that confirms that Judaism, Ribi Yehoshua, Pâqid Ya•aqov ha-Tzadiq Bën-Dâvid and Shimon "Keiphâ" Bar-Yonâh were all pro-Torâh while (le-havdil) earliest Christianity (post-135 C.E.), J*esus, St. P*eter, St. J*ohn, St. P*aul and the rest are all represented as having preached the antinomian message of Displacement Theology – a saving gospel of the 'grace' of J*esus displacing the "Old Testament." Thus, these post-135 C.E. Hellenized images are the polar antitheses of the pre-135 C.E. historical Jews.

Christianity obtains "continuity" from pro-Torâh Judaism of Jews to (le-havdil) antinomian Hellenist-Christianity of goyim by a logical fallacy called petitio principii (begging the question, also called circular reasoning). Christianity simply assumes it!!! "I believe it; therefore, it was!" Poof! Magic. Misdirecting attention away from the many contradictory and unconnected "links."

The logical approach, by contrast, is to rigorously define these principals and distinguish rigorously between the definitions in order to discover whether or not the evidence compels identity or proves a transition. Only if the evidence clearly shows that they are identical, or proves every step of a transition, is continuity established. Notice that any reasonable doubt, concerning any link in the claimed transition, prevents a chain of transition, precluding the Christian assertion of one sect of Jews taking a 180° reversal of direction to reject the very core of Judaism – Torâh and Halâkhâh – to become, instead, antinomian, misojudaic, Hellenist goyim. In other words, any reasonable doubt concerning any link in the asserted transition fails to displace the status quo before 135 C.E. proven in DSS 4Q MMT, thus precluding Christianity's claim of a transition and continuity.

To test the claim of continuity, we distinguish rigorously between the 1st-century description, proven in Qumran scroll 4Q MMT, and the 4th-century description, demonstrated by Oxford scholar James Parkes (The Conflict of the Church and the Synagogue). Because the two are mutually-exclusive, arch-antithetical, polar opposites, one can never understand Ribi Yehoshua or the Netzârim while peering through lenses imprinted with the 4th-century Hellenist, antinomian man-g*od, J*esus. It is, therefore, essential to rigorously distinguish between:

Quote from the book: Who are the Netzarim

If you state that there is an continuity between Netzarim and le-havdil (separated from) Christianity: The burden of proof is on you!

From Anders Branderud

Geir Toshav, Netzarim in Ra’anana in Israel (ww.netzarim.co.il) who are followers of Ribi Yehoshua – Messiah – in Orthodox Judaism

Zenobia,

“What Isreal is doing right now to the Palestinians is not much different than what the Jews suffered at the hands of the Nazies, or what the Russians did when they built their wall across Berlin. So I do not hold the people of Isreal in any special place - I cannot condone suffering caused by human hands, no matter who those people may be.”

You quote is strongly misojudaism (mis = hate).

To compare the Nazis killing of 6 million Jews with Israel’s defence against terrorists [some civilians die because of that the terrorists operate in civilian areas; the terrorists are to blame for the death of this civilians] in Gaza who are firing rockets is misojudaic!!

'Palestinian' polls confirm that 70% of 'Palestinians' support suicide attacks against Israel

Read more about Israel here:

http://www.frontpagemag.com/

From Anders Branderud

Geir Toshav, Netzarim in Ra’anana in Israel (ww.netzarim.co.il) who are followers of Ribi Yehoshua – Messiah – in Orthodox Judaism

Anders, have you looked into the Ugarit tablets? What's your opinion on multiple, competing, religions in the same area of the birth of Judaism, where the different God-names represented different Gods instead of just one? If Christianity is the house built on Judaism, and I think there's some evidence to show that Judaism is also a religion built on another religion (or multiple), then what makes one house of cards more true than the other? (För din information, jag är också svensk. :) )

Perhaps the Babylonian astrology/pagan religion is the only true religion, since it's older? Think about it. Did Moses write the stories, books, religious directions etc, before or after Abraham left Ur? After, right? So, how can Judaism, in the form as it is known now, with the Torah and all the other books, be more original or more true than all the other religions that the Bible/Torah admits must have existed before the Mosaic Judaism?

(I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but just to see if you have thought about these issues, and what you're explanation or justification is.)