Goodbye Jesus

New Age

Guest Freepagan

Guest Freepagan

I've been an official exchristian for about seven months. Though I'm no longer christian, I still feel as though there is something/someone that pervades the universe. I guess I have a panentheistic outlook. I've tried to shake it by asserting atheism, but the thought of no higher power doesn't sit well with me. I lived like there was no god, and became more empty and lifeless. Now I find myself tuning into New Age thought more these days, and I feel like a part of me that was dead is being revived. I cannot shake the feeling. Otherwise, I'm committing emotional suicide. I know some will say that you can't follow a feeling, but oh well.

So can anyone relate to ideas about psychic energy, or source energy?

Atheism isn't something I had to assert. I tried to call myself atheist when I first dropped the god ball, but it didn't feel right. It was only this year that that term began to sit right, and I deconverted 5 years ago.

Now sure, a lot of my logical arguments against gods in general, and christian god in particular, depend in large part on the perceived linear and one-directional nature of time, but that doesn't mean that time absolutely must work that way. Nothing in science, that I'm aware of, teaches an ultimate beginning to anything, not even the universe. No, the universe didn't start with the Big Bang, it just achieved it's present form therefrom, according to cosmology. There doesn't have to be a source or beginning. In fact, it may be that there can't be such a thing, at least not an ultimate one.

That all said, I don't necessarily disbelieve in energy shaping the way for life. It could be that there is some sentient force, perhaps born from, or maybe preceding the universe, but at the same time, you'll never hear me call that god. It is, however, a very arrogant thing for we as, well, lifeforms to assume.

If anything, it is a non-personal, or non-sentient force that created us, I think.

I like to think that our minds are capable of greater things than we imagine. That we are, or could be capable of manipulating the more arcane energies of the universe that have not been that well explored.

I'm kinda going through the same thing.

Everytime I try to think to myself as an atheist, I feel wrong about it.

On the other hand, Christianity makes me sick to my stomach, especially when I read the articles about people joining the priesthood/religious orders/etc.

What I would recommend is what everyone else has been saying to me.

Research.

Right now, for the sake of labels, I'm declaring deism.

But, my beliefs don't exactly match entirely with them.

For instance, I believe that some things happen, but not in a god-did-it way.

I believe that its more of things falling together, way the universe is working.

I wish you luck and happiness.

- TORM

To a certain extent everyone follows a feeling, a judgment that their way is right.

As far as psychic/source/the force, what-have-you energy, I can very much relate. Now as for whether it is from within and a psychological trick or actually tapping a divine, I'm not sure, and for practical purposes, it doesn't matter to me. I tend to see deities as a shorthand for a concept we are trying to get at.

What kind of ideas are you looking for about that sort of energy? Are you looking for something to comfort you? Looking for something with a bit more oomph?

I'm with BlueGiant on this one. I certainly "feel" an energy in the universe. Is it external? Is it divine? Or is it internal or generated by human thought and interaction? Personally, I have begun to believe that the energy is generated by us. But like BG said, does it matter?

If "believing" in an external energy source gives you a sense of well-being, then why would anyone tell you you are wrong? Didn't we leave this sort of judgment back with the xtians? Do I think some of the things some people believe are loopy? Yep. But as long as their beliefs don't impinge on me, the making of laws in my country or the education of my children, people are free to believe whatever gives them joy.

I wish you joy and peace Freepagan, wherever you find it.

Heather

What you "feel" is irrelevant, what the facts and logical conclusions point to are.

What you "feel" is irrelevant, what the facts and logical conclusions point to are.

Yo, Ass-a-loft we're supposed to use kid gloves in this forum.

I would point that feelings are indeed input that should be taken into account. Particularly sensory data (you, know, the big five) is useful in forming the axioms that logic is based on, and is also rather nice for dealing with those corner-cases that break logical systems.

While raw logic is a nice model system, it is a mistake to assume the model is the actual system. Very efficient shorthand, though.

I would point out that a "feeling" something was wrong (like rip-space-time-apart wrong) was one of the initial cracks in my Christianity, the jolt that got me started questioning.

I would point that feelings are indeed input that should be taken into account. Particularly sensory data (you, know, the big five) is useful in forming the axioms that logic is based on, and is also rather nice for dealing with those corner-cases that break logical systems.

While raw logic is a nice model system, it is a mistake to assume the model is the actual system. Very efficient shorthand, though.

I would point out that a "feeling" something was wrong (like rip-space-time-apart wrong) was one of the initial cracks in my Christianity, the jolt that got me started questioning.

What I'm saying though, is that the way that you feel about a situation has no impact at all on the truth or falsity of that situation. A lot of aspects of reality are counter-intuitive. You can intuitively feel something is wrong with Christianity, but that is not how you should go about forming your conclusions, wouldn't you agree?

In your case, your intuition led you to a correct conclusion, but only after you looked at the facts and the logic behind what you were investigating.

And if some Christian came in saying "I feel God exists, I know it deep down in my heart", everyone here would eviscerate him for such conclusions based on nothing but endorphins.

"

In this one area of Ex-Christian.net, each individual who has adopted an alternative spiritual expression should feel encouraged to freely express any experiences, thoughts, or opinions without fear of being brow beaten, harshly criticized, or condemned."

I apologize, Freepagan, if you felt I was brow-beating you, harshly criticizing or condmening you. You definitely should be able to express your thoughts and opinions without fear of such.

If you wish to respond to my second post, feel free to. If you wish to ignore what I have to say because I can be a jackass, feel free to as well.

I feel a spiritual connection even though I dislike religion. I wonder if the earth is god and that is why many people feel a connection? Without the earth there is no life in our part of the universe--not that we've found anyway.

To you.

As I understand it, this kind of belief isn't all that irrational or harmful, like Christianity. It may not be logical, but if it makes you feel better, that's important too. It might also just be a stepping stone for you between theism and nontheism. I know I went slowly from theism to deism to something like this "panentheism" before I got where I am now. And who knows, maybe I'll change my mind again!

The only kind of energy that makes sense to me are the physical forces we know to control matter and energy in the universe: strong, weak, magnetic, gravity, and any others I can't remember. The idea that these forces encompass everything is pretty cool to me, but while it promotes a sense of connection with the rest of the known universe (see my short posts on this idea in The Universe Is God? thread), it doesn't conflict at all with my atheism. I don't believe in psychic or paranormal energy fields or anything like that.

I've been an official exchristian for about seven months. Though I'm no longer christian, I still feel as though there is something/someone that pervades the universe. I guess I have a panentheistic outlook. I've tried to shake it by asserting atheism, but the thought of no higher power doesn't sit well with me. I lived like there was no god, and became more empty and lifeless. Now I find myself tuning into New Age thought more these days, and I feel like a part of me that was dead is being revived. I cannot shake the feeling. Otherwise, I'm committing emotional suicide. I know some will say that you can't follow a feeling, but oh well.

In my opinion tossing out Christianity leaves you free to explore anything and everything else, including all your feelings. Don't deny them. As you say, that is committing emotional suicide. I say follow your inner teacher. If you want to explore ideas about psychic energy, what's wrong with that? To me, its a reality, but I would not dream of foisting it on someone else as something factual. I say, find out for yourself and disregard what anyone else tells you.

If a pantheistic conception of God helps you in your daily life, I cannot see how it is harmful. It is a thousand miles away from accepting the image of God as portrayed in Christianity.

Not necessarily kid gloves, just politeness, and professional attitude. I think Asimov's asking an astute question, and doing so in no aggressive way. As long as it doesn't go into personal attacks, or "rant-like tirades", I'll allow it. (Tough balance, I tell you. :wacko:)

• 3 weeks later...

Well here goes I'll finally reduce to writing what I believe about the "Supreme Being" as food for thought.

--The SB is the collection of the souls(for lack of a better word) of all living things past and future.--

Each example of life(in the present) on this planet is part of the fabric constantly changing to support humanity.We exist on one plane and the collective is on another.The passage to and from is birth and death.The focal point is this planet.

-The human animal is the best model to date of combined energy and matter to house individual pieces of the SB.

In our spiritual forms we exist on that plane(pieces of the whole) sharing all knowledge,thoughts,experiences of the entire group.We are free of these bodies so there are none of the associated restrictions,needs,problems or pains.

The purpose to all this is to improve humanity,for the sake of improvement.

Peace,Daniel

But as long as their beliefs don't impinge on me, the making of laws in my country or the education of my children, people are free to believe whatever gives them joy.

Well put, Heather. I agree whole-heartedly.

• 1 month later...

Yeah! Espeicaly since Einstein based most of his theories on "thoughts, feelings, hunches and ideas" before he could mathematically prove them. Just because no one has come up with the math to prove it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

• 3 weeks later...

Man, I feel like looking at myself from the past. :)

Don't force yourself to be an atheist. Just go through the whole believing/not-believing thing naturally.

My dad is a New Ager, takes and teaches courses about how to draw the "universal energy" (and he's become pretty nutty.. but that's not the point). He is certainly a believer in those things. Mostly he does meditation, chakra work and visualization, which is harmless, but he's expressed some harmful opinions about all doctors being limited too and is close to advising people to put their faith in energy rather than medicine.

My advice to you would be to try these things out, but also be skeptical about it. Don't get too hyped up if something seemingly works and try to test somehow if it's real what you felt. There are many things my dad presented to me as "proof" of energy work, but my sister and I (she's studying for medicine university entrance exams) could debunk a lot of them with good ol' fashioned biology. There are also some useful things(like meditation).

I went through the stages you described some years back and know the "god withdrawal syndrome"- the depression and the emptiness. It's a natural consequence of deconversion.

All I can say is that now I fel fulfilled and happy as an atheist (it was like a switch in my head really, I learned to have more confidence in myself and get things done and have, I think, become a better person since). I just wanted to say that it's possible to shake that feeling. Just take your time and do your own thing.

• Super Moderator

My atheism was the result of reaching a conclusion after much study and thought.

It would indeed "feel good" to believe that a realm exists beyond our mortal lives. A guarantee we will continue after death of the body. A benevolent god to watch over us. The assurance that justice will eventually reign and suffering will be rewarded and wrongdoing will be punished.

But it also feels good to have some understanding of reality. I want there to be a supernatural realm but have been unable to find any evidence for it. I now feel comfortable and secure in my understanding.

The need for the supernatural seems to be built into us to help us deal with our mortality. For many people, the search for the Truth™ leads from belief to belief until one feels comfortable.

You will find what works for you, and don't aspire to any labels.

If there is a "god/source", I surely think it must be an inner source. Possibly a means to respond to the feelings of awe we experience at times. This causes the desire to express it outwardly, so we might just be projecting it.

I'm uncertain, but something about that makes sense to me.

There is no rule as to what you must be after you deconvert from anything. That's freedom of choice. People might state their own conclusions as the most natural and logical...but are they?

To me thinking that you must end up an atheist is equivalent to saying you must end up married with 2.1 kids. Who says? Who cares? You are not an idiot. You have legitimate reasons to believe in what you do. Just do it.