Goodbye Jesus

Annoying Cube Mate

Amethyst

My cubicle mate actually said something that explained a lot today. There's a new Transformers movie coming out in 2007, and we were talking about it. Anyway, he said that he got most of his philosophy from the old cartoon.

:Doh:

Now, I have nothing against finding wisdom in popular culture...but at least, look in more than one place.

Guest ravnostic

I can understand that aspect. I base much of my philosophy on Frank Herbert's Dune novels. Each has much to say on topics of religion (something to be used to control the masses and manipulate groups), government (something to be used to keep some family lines above the 'ruckus' of the rest of us), politics (power attracts the corruptable--much more subtle than 'power corrupts, absolute power...), etc.

In my younger days, it was practically my sole source of inspiration, but even having read so much more, there are truths I carry with me to this day that a dead guy from Seattle wrote 40+ years ago.

I consider the original book my bible, and the following 5 'appendicies', each dealing with different aspects of sociology.

His son has done a good job in following up his father's works, though the depth of them wasn't as good in the first prequal, House Atreides. But it's equally good from the 2nd prequal and on.

Well, that's not so bad, except for my cube mate's sole philosophy from Transformers was that good guys are bad, and bad guys are good, and that some of the good guys gave people free will. Which is probably why he relates to Christianity.

:ugh:

I can agree with the Dune thing, but Transformers? That is just creepy... and sad. I can think of no moral lesson in this other than not to mess with a sentient robot. Maybe I'm not looking deep enough.

-Jake

Well, that's not so bad, except for my cube mate's sole philosophy from Transformers was that good guys are bad, and bad guys are good, and that some of the good guys gave people free will.  Which is probably why he relates to Christianity.

:ugh:

This person sounds like he's a 10 year old.

This person sounds like he's a 10 year old.

He acts like it sometimes. He's certainly as gullible as a 10 year-old.

I can agree with the Dune thing, but Transformers? That is just creepy... and sad. I can think of no moral lesson in this other than not to mess with a sentient robot. Maybe I'm not looking deep enough.

-Jake

Hey! No dissing Transformers while I'm around!! I'll sic the Lamborghini Twins on ya if ya cross me enough! ;)

(BTW, the Lamborghini Twins are the nickname given to Sideswipe and Sunstreaker, the Autobot's two most prolific front-line melee fighters. They're also the "nasty" in the Autobot ranks. Not guys ya wanna mess with.)

*hides and has a finger on the little red button of doom* HA!

-Jake