Goodbye Jesus

Defining Spirituality

Neon Genesis

One of the problems I have with Christianity is that its definition of what spirituality is isn't very clearly defined. One example is that the bible often speaks of the carnal mind vs. spiritual mind and insists that Christians must be "spiritually-minded", but it doesn't very clearly state what it means to be spiritually-minded or even what spirituality is. It's like the scriptures just assume that the reader already knows what it means to be spiritual. Because of this, I always assumed when I was a Christian that spirituality was the same as devotion and the Christians who were most devoted to their faith were the most spiritual. Like I saw Christians who were professional preachers, went on missionary trips all the time, and memorized the bible from front to back as being extremely spiritual people. So, basically, in order to be the most spiritual person, I thought you just had to do everything the church said to do perfectly, but is this really what spirituality is? If spirituality is devotion, what defines devotion? How did you define spirituality as a Christian and what do you consider to be spirituality now as an ex-Christian?

as an atheist, I define spirituality as having a connection with something outside of yourself....after grasping the vastness, the beauty, and the grandeur of the natural world as revealed by science...well, needless to say I find this a lot more spiritual than "repent because if you don't you roast"

• Super Moderator

I would echo Insanity's reply. The fruit of a spiritual nature would show up as the Golden Rule and going the extra mile. The spiritual person realizes that to help others is to help himself.

How I defined spirituality as a Christian, became what it is now while I was still a Christian. To clarify, that means that what the Church defined as spirituality was as you said, being devoted, etc. This is why I left them in no small part, because rather than being helped spiritually, it actually worked against it, and in order for me to be fulfilled I had to get a divorce from that bad relationship. That's why when I became an atheist, it essentially allowed me to clear off the table polluted by all the superstitions handed down to me through the clergy.

So how did I/do I define spirituality? It's as IP said in her post, a connection to something outside you, but it's more than that. It's moving beyond the dichotomy of us and them; the world outside "me" and me. It's tapping into that sense/awareness that there is no division. That I am the world. That I am humanity. That I am God. The we are not we, that there is no division. To sin against another is to sin against yourself and the whole of humanity because of that.

If you look at the language of religion, there is this underlying realization frequently in the teachings of the mystics. Setting aside all the political parts of the Bible, there are these principles expressed in some of its pages, as they are expressed in other religions. I could give many examples of them, and they all seem to express this realization and push for people to see beyond the rules and regulations of religion, and look into yourself through looking into the world beyond you, letting it connect you with it in such a way as to have those divisions (separation by sin, being one of them) evaporate to the point your strength comes through this awareness, this connection, this "reconciliation", this "salvation", and this fulfillment that occurs in you overflows out to the others and back to the world, thus completing you as living, vital "conduit" of life.

Spirituality would be defined then as breaking down the walls of division, connecting you to universe, and the universe with you, and through you the life of the universe to others. In essence, allowing Life to live in you, and being Life to the world. It doesn't end with you being fulfilled. It begins there, and ends with life being fulfilled through you.

In my mind, spirituality was being mindful of God and considering that every action, word, and thought had an eternal reward or a consequence. It was believing and feeling that my steps were guided by a force greater than myself... being receptive and obedient to God's will for my life. A few things that I considered to be acts of spirituality were reading the Bible, praying, and attending church.

I'm no longer mindful of any god, but I still hold to the belief that my actions, words, and thoughts do have an impact on how I interact with people. Most importantly, those things define who I am and how I feel about myself. I realize that I'm making the decisions about how I live and I will enjoy reaping the rewards for when I succeed and I will take responsibility for my action when I fail... and hopefully, learn something about life and myself. Things I now consider spiritual: a fish hitting my lure, wind in my face and a roaring motorcycle beneath me, and a group of musicians locking in on a groove. (I lied. I've always considered those things sacred.)

It's like the scriptures just assume that the reader already knows what it means to be spiritual.

To some extent this is true, but to some extent it's false.

One can get a pretty good idea from both Paul's writings and the Gospels what the "Christian life" is supposed to be like. There are confusions and difficulties, but one can infer that Christians are supposed to be unselfish, benevolent, humble, and reverent toward God in all things. These are fairly obvious traits that Christians are supposed to have.

However, one must also keep in mind that the New Testament, especially, contains references to notions of the "soul" and the "spirit" which depend on the (largely Hellenistic) cultural conceptions of the period. When Paul spoke about the distinction between the soul and the spirit, he was drawing on cultural ideas which everyone could be reasonably expected to understand.

These distinctions don't come across very well in translation. Roughly, they are:

Hylos: The bodily or carnal part of a person. This is the part of you that causes desires for good food, sleep, and good sex.

Psyche: This is translated in most Bibles as "soul," but a more accurate rendering is "mind." The modern day notion of the psyche is more or less congruent with the ancient one.

Pneuma: The spirit. Literally "breath," the pneuma is the vital principle without which you would cease to be. Psyche and hylos are dependent on the pneuma. There is a lot of Greek philosophy and religion explaining this notion, much of which had filtered to some extent into popular knowledge. Paul draws upon this cultural store of understanding when speaks about spirit, though he modifies it to some extent for the purposes of Christianity.

This tripartite division of the soul can be traced back at least to Plato, who outlines them very clearly in The Republic.

Many portions of the New Testament are difficult to properly understand without these distinctions, and they aren't usually made clear in most English translations. You have to have an understanding of what terms like these meant to the readers back then to have a really clear understanding of what many passages in the New Testament mean. Unfortunately, they aren't taught to laymen very often, and depending on the denomination, might not even be taught to the pastors at seminary.

Let the words “us” and “we” become as inclusive as possible. I think this is moving towards spirituality.

I tend to look at it as being in touch with the world on a primal, almost intuitive level. In a way, being in touch with a deeper truth than what we deal with in our day-to-day life.

Personally, I find that being amazed and appreciative of life, aware of the beauty and awe that this universe offers is more than enough. It it so overwhelming that at times, I could almost pass into pantheism, but instead of believing that the universe is god, I find that I am part of a whole - not destined for anything - not controlled by anyone - but here, now, free to see just a small fragment of what reality holds.

Not only are we part of a whole, but we are a conscious part of this whole and we should love and take the utmost care of it, because it is fragile. We should aim to see the true value of life, which is immeasurable, and remember with honour those who gave their blood that we might have the freedom to think as we may today in the so-called 21st century and the so-called West.

And when I think of the beauty of this universe, the joys and dangers of life, I am truly in awe. My mind gasps for air as I try to grasp what its eye has caught a glimpse of, and yet I love that I am completely unable to grasp it, for were I able, then I should never appreciate it to half such an extent as it is worthy of.

What is it that George Carlin said?

Something like "Spiritual!? You're not 'spiritual'! That kanji tattoo on your bicep really says 'moo goo gai pan' and the last time you prayed was when you were waiting for the pregnancy test."

Call me cynical, but when I was a Christian I viewed the term "spiritual" as an empty postmodern buzzword, and my view on that has not changed.

• 1 month later...
I would echo Insanity's reply. The fruit of a spiritual nature would show up as the Golden Rule and going the extra mile. The spiritual person realizes that to help others is to help himself.

I think that's a rather wise reply and I agree.

• Super Moderator

Happy Birthday.

Don't pop the cork yet. Gotta wait until 11:50 p.m. on October 18th!!!