Goodbye Jesus

Another Conversation With Stepmom

Amethyst

I went shopping with my stepmom today, & she kept asking me all kinds of questions about what I believed. I was as honest as I could be.

On the way home, she asked more questions, and I told her that I had come to the realization that Christianity was just another cult. Yes, it was popular and yes, it was sometimes beneficial, but it was still a cult.

Of course, she really didn't like that and said it was offensive that I would call her religion a cult. But I can't help but tell things the way I see them. It is my most human failing; I can be very blunt at times. Just because you happen to be brainwashed into a cult, that doesn't make it any less of a cult.

So I asked her okay, if I call it a man-made religion, is that better? Because that's what it is.

She said that some of her friends would agree with me, but that she couldn't come to the same conclusion herself. And then she said she was afrad I would join a "real" cult. :ugh:

I told her that was extremely unlikely, and that if I joined any group it would be a freethinker's club. She didn't know what that was, so I had to explain it, and she thought it sounded like a cult.

Sigh...

I find it very ironic that she is still brainwashed, and can't understand that Christianity is a cult, and then is afraid that I would just join another one. I don't think she knows me as well as she thinks she does.

Of course, she really didn't like that and said it was offensive that I would call her religion a cult.  But I can't help but tell things the way I see them.  It is my most human failing; I can be very blunt at times.  Just because you happen to be brainwashed into a cult, that doesn't make it any less of a cult.

Sigh...

I find it very ironic that she is still brainwashed, and can't understand that Christianity is a cult, and then is afraid that I would just join another one.  I don't think she knows me as well as she thinks she does.

Yep. Truly sad.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to tell someone the REASON why you no longer believe, without hurting their feelings. Once you REASONABLY explain that belief in a fairy tale is stupid, the next logical conclusion is that you are calling THEM stupid since they DO believe. Ouch!

And you don't want to fall back on "I just don't FEEL that it's true", in an attempt to spare their feelings. Because then they will jump all over you and try to convince you to "believe by faith" and soon you WILL feel "His presence and love". (Or some such sophistry.)

The truth hurts THEM, but appealing to emotions just leaves YOU wide open for continued assaults.

And no matter how much logic and evidence you bring to bear on them, they will STILL believe that YOU are the one deceived by Satan.

I fucking hate religion. Excuse me, I fucking hate CULTS, which is what they all are.

Yeah. It just makes me mad how these cults brainwash people. I mean, my entire family (AFAIK) is brainwashed into some form of Christianity or another, and I will probably always be the black sheep because I don't believe as they do.

Arrrgh!

What also pisses me off was that she thought a "freethinkers" or support group for ex-Christians would also be a cult.

Why is it that Christians always call any group which follows a different ideology a cult? At least a freethinker's group would be non-religious. Not that I'm likely to find one in Minnesota, since everyone here seems to be religious, and the few non-religious people don't talk about it.

Since I am feeling expecialy senile right now I probubly should not post, but since about half-way through this sentance I mellowed out I don't see the probleme(Gods I hate that)...

Amethyst Posted Jul 24 2005, 05:25 PM

I went shopping with my stepmom today, & she kept asking me all kinds of questions about what I believed. I was as honest as I could be.

On the way home, she asked more questions, and I told her that I had come to the realization that Christianity was just another cult. Yes, it was popular and yes, it was sometimes beneficial, but it was still a cult.

Of course, she really didn't like that and said it was offensive that I would call her religion a cult. But I can't help but tell things the way I see them. It is my most human failing; I can be very blunt at times. Just because you happen to be brainwashed into a cult, that doesn't make it any less of a cult.

So I asked her okay, if I call it a man-made religion, is that better? Because that's what it is.

She said that some of her friends would agree with me, but that she couldn't come to the same conclusion herself. And then she said she was afrad I would join a "real" cult. 

I told her that was extremely unlikely, and that if I joined any group it would be a freethinker's club. She didn't know what that was, so I had to explain it, and she thought it sounded like a cult.

Sigh...

I find it very ironic that she is still brainwashed, and can't understand that Christianity is a cult, and then is afraid that I would just join another one. I don't think she knows me as well as she thinks she does.

Now I am not going to say to go picking a fight, but since you two do not see eye to eye on this can you just agree to disagree? I mean seriously... it seems like you have explained what you beleive to her and now she should just let it drop.

In a perfect world... one we'll never know...

Still, what I do in a situation like this is just say that I don't discuss my views on God with people. Then I stick to it and ignore them until they change the subject. But then if she knows you are not Christian then it is the "conviction of the holy spook." I fear there may be no way to win.

And, well, when you were brainwashed(Assuming you were) did you think you were brainwashed? I have been led to believe that since the Christians now have a catch-phrase to counter act this(I'm not brainwashed, I've been washed in the blood of the lamb) simply telling them that they are brainwashed wont have any effect. I think this is something she will have to grasp on her own and there is nothing we can do to help.

Then again... If Kevin turned, anyone can. :wicked:

-Jake

What also pisses me off was that she thought a "freethinkers" or support group for ex-Christians would also be a cult.

Why is it that Christians always call any group which follows a different ideology a cult? 

One of the problems with throwing around the word "cult" in a discussion about religion is that there are many ways that it can be used. At its barest, "cult" means "a system of beliefs and rituals" (the Latin root simply means "worship") - a meaning which can be applied to *any* religion. Cult can mean a religion that's seen as unorthodox and spurious; or it can mean a religion characterized by obsessive, devoted followers of a charismatic figurehead.

Most of us ("us" meaning English speaking people in general, not Ex-Christians), when using "cult," tend to mean the latter - a smallish religious group with an obsessive, highly devoted, slightly brainwashed followers who are willing to follow their charismatic leader into a bizarre suicide, if he asks them. Jim Jones and Heaven's Gate.

We also tend to use "cult" to refer to non-religious groups where adherents/followers exhibit cult-like behavior - such as "health cults" based around the dogmas of their proponent/leaders, or "cult classic" films like Rocky Horror Picture Show. If we at Ex-C decided that the great almighty Dave was always right and could speak no wrong, and sat at the edges of our seats waiting for his great pearls of wisdom each week, we would be a cult or would, at least, be exhibiting cultish behavior.

It is possible that Amethyst's stepmother is using two or more meanings of cult or at least a different meaning that Amethyst is using, OR she may simply be presuming (or heard described) a group-think, brain-washing behavior in the hypothetical freethinker support group.

Alternatively, she may be one of those Christians who believes that any decent person would have to be brainwashed not be a Christian, so anyone who isn't is in a cult. :shrug:

My stepmom generally assumes the "cults are dangerous" stereotype, or any group that is not Christian but has some sort of religious ideology. Because, of course, it could NEVER apply to her or anyone in her family.