Goodbye Jesus

Things You Hated About The Concept Of Heaven?

Guest ElGuapo

Guest ElGuapo

For the sake of this discussion, let's assume the so-called millennial rule of Christ and Heaven, New Heaven and Earth, etc. etc. are synomous. That being stated, what was there about the xtian concept of Heaven that you hated? For me there were several things,

1. No more sea. There was supposedly not going to be an ocean anymore. WTF? I love the tropics! No fucking beaches or anything? No offense, but if I wanted to live in landlocked Oklahoma or Utah I'd live there now. No more seas sucks ass.

2. Eternally worshipping God. I'm sorry, but I was never really into the whole worship thing at church. The idea of worshipping God 24/7 forever sounds awful. Bowing and scraping for eternity? Plus, I always thought the idea of worship was odd. I mean, what kind of being gets off on people bowing and praising it all the time anyway? How strange.

3. No sex. WTF again! So now that I have a perfect body and I don't have to work out I can't use it to bang hotties in Heaven? What the hell am I going to do all day? Oh yeah, I forgot about # 2.

4. The idea that you will eventually forget about the things of this world and remember them no more. Well that sucks. So basically, once I'm free and clear and safe in eternal paradise I can't look back and see how far I've come, of what it took to get to where I am? How lame. I don't want to forget who I was or what I went through on Earth. All of that makes me who I am. However, since I'm basically a clone of Jeebus now I don't need to worry.

Does anyone else think that on some very basic level xtianity and buddhism are similar? I mean, in buddhism you let go of your self, you become one with all. In xtianity you are constantly told that it's not about you, it's about HIM! Slowly, but surely, up through when you are recreated in the image of Christ, your personal identity is eroded until you are no longer you.

Both buddhism and xtianity are full of shit anyway.

My number one thing I hated was not being with loved ones that weren't "saved". I never could understand how anyone could be happy in heaven at the thought of some of the people they loved were :ukliam2: burning for eternity. :loser:

Guest ElGuapo

I didn't like the fact that animals didn't go to Heaven (at least according to some xtians). What kind of bullshit it that? Let's see, I'm God and I'm going to make this wonderful and loving dog, cat, whatever and then give it a home where it's loved, but when it dies then that's it for poor spot! Too bad you didn't have a soul! You got punk'd!

That's bullshit.

I didn't like the fact that my non-Christian friends wouldn't go to heaven, that animals wouldn't go, that some poor little kid in a foreign country raised in a different religion wouldn't go...

Basically the injustice of it all.

That's pretty creepy; you'd become nothing more than a mindless, all-worshiping drone (or Borg for you Star Trek fans). While I am indifferent to Buddism, I never really liked the isolation from the world concept. I think a character of mine said this best...

Selandra: (To an ancient monk.) Of course you have less worries, you forgot how to live.

If I were to choose a heaven, I'd go with the James VanPraag version where Heaven is what we make it (sort of like Of What Dreams May Come) and that Hell is a penence that with help, one can attone and transcend. Say what you want about the guy, but it's a neat concept.

I didn't like the fact that animals didn't go to Heaven (at least according to some xtians). What kind of bullshit it that? Let's see, I'm God and I'm going to make this wonderful and loving dog, cat, whatever and then give it a home where it's loved, but when it dies then that's it for poor spot! Too bad you didn't have a soul! You got punk'd!

That's bullshit.

i got kicked out of class one day for arguing with the teacher over that.

For the sake of this discussion, let's assume the so-called millennial rule of Christ and Heaven, New Heaven and Earth, etc. etc. are synomous. That being stated, what was there about the xtian concept of Heaven that you hated?

Well from the heaven(eternal) aspect I was taught we'd be humans with glorified bless god physical bodies after the resurrection.

I didn't think I could be content being human forever... my attention span is about that of a cocker spaniel and I'm way too curious.

Does anyone else think that on some very basic level xtianity and buddhism are similar? I mean, in buddhism you let go of your self, you become one with all. In xtianity you are constantly told that it's not about you, it's about HIM! Slowly, but surely, up through when you are recreated in the image of Christ, your personal identity is eroded until you are no longer you.

I see a contrast between xtianity vs buddhism/hinduism. I'd have to brush up on buddhism and even my knowledge of hinduism would be more from the philosophical side. In the big 3 abrahamic religions god seems to be seperate from his creation and he is the imperial ruler (or Sky Don if I may borrow from chef). He rules the universe but from the hindu (and budhhist?) perspective god is the ultimate hardcore gamer. He doesn't rule the universe, he plays it. And since there is nothing outside of god, he has to play the game of hide and seek with himself. So he plays a game where he intentionally forgets who he is and pretends to be us. One rules, one plays.

However after reading it the way you phrase it above, they do sound basically similiar although it probably would go over with the xtian fundies like a turd in the punchbowl. They don't enjoy being similiar, they thrive on polarity. The chosen appear to depend upon the 'unchosen' for their identity.

cheers,

cho

2. Eternally worshipping God. I'm sorry, but I was never really into the whole worship thing at church. The idea of worshipping God 24/7 forever sounds awful. Bowing and scraping for eternity? Plus, I always thought the idea of worship was odd. I mean, what kind of being gets off on people bowing and praising it all the time anyway? How strange.

I'm right there with you on this one. I never would have made it in heaven. I just know after a couple of thousand years of singing holy holy holy and scraping my forehead on the ground I would have said - OK, I've had enough of this shit.

How come we only get two choices and both of em suck?

That's bullshit.

That was the first time I doubted heaven. My religion teacher mentioned that "no animals go to heaven, its over for them at death." I was a kid at the time, but I recall being upset over that.

In the big 3 abrahamic religions god seems to be seperate from his creation and he is the imperial ruler (or Sky Don if I may borrow from chef). He rules the universe but from the hindu (and budhhist?) perspective god is the ultimate hardcore gamer. He doesn't rule the universe, he plays it. And since there is nothing outside of god, he has to play the game of hide and seek with himself. So he plays a game where he intentionally forgets who he is and pretends to be us.  One rules, one plays.

However after reading it the way you phrase it above, they do sound basically similiar

cheers,

cho

yes, i agree about the abrahamic religions.

I used to think the Hinduistic concept of god was very cool. I now think it is incoherent and annihilates meaningful human relationships if taken literally. But maybe on some string theory level it's valid, I don't know about that.

Ah, the answer of course to "what about my friends and family that are burning forever in hell? How can I be happy in heaven knowing that??" is that God will wipe your mind, so you can proceed with #2, (above).

That was always very unsatisfying for me. If he wipes your mind, you become someone else! Why should I struggle and pray my ass off here, just so someone else gets his jollies in heaven?

And anyway, that's totally inconsistent. Xtians always say that God doesn't want robots, so he gives us free will (thanks alot god, i'll remember this great favor of yours while i'm roasting in hell forever. Would you like me to turn over now so that I'm evenly cooked?). Well, in heaven he wipes our minds and makes us to be robots.

FVK THT SHT

EDIT--oh yeah, btw, "El Guapo" a great name from a great movie.

I once asked my now former pastor what would happen to my father if he didn't become a "True Christian" and leave "False Religion" hence Jehovah's Witnesses. He stated that my father would go to hell if he didn't leave his religion and convert to "real" Christianity. My father rejected me but he was still my father and I didn't think he should burn forever just because he picked what's behind curtain #3 instead of curtain #2. What bothers me the most, now, is at the time, I wasn't so sad over the notion of him being tortured for eternity. It was like that belief system took away my capacity to have compassion for others, even my own family.

1. The lack of my mom in heaven. She's pretty special... and we're very close.

2. Lack of sex. I like sex darn it.

3. Boy did it sound boring and lame to worship god all the time... 24/7/365 for eternity.

4. Missing other people I cared about.

5. I believed animals and trees and stuff WERE going to be in heaven so I wasn't worried about that.

6. Working. People told me we'd be working hard in heaven. I'm all like wth? You mean I work super hard all my life to get here and even then I can't rest? WTF?

7. All the truly unanswerables that you could only guess on... like the people who never heard the gospel, young kids, miscarried babies, etc. would they be there?

What I don't like about the concept of heaven:

1. A god is to be found there.

2. The many orgasmically mind-controlled followers of said god that will be found there.

To me, this is hell.

Or the Jahova's literature with the little brown haired girl petting a lion in a paradise that resembles the Southern States.

Lately I've been seeing a lot of ethnicly corrent drawings of heaven in those Watchtower mini-magazines my mom gets from the Jehova's Witnesses. It's a step even though they're as sappy as hell.

The thought of walking around on clouds and praying for trillions of years was more frightening than the threat of Hell. In fact, all the interesting people are probably shovelling coal.

...the thought that it lasts forever, with no way out.

(plus the 24/7 singing crap, I mean, come on! How egotistical is this omni^3 being anyway? I don't know anyone that needs that kind of reassurance even among us mere mortals)

• 2 weeks later...

Its been so long that I don't even remember believing in heaven.

As for now, the thought of spending eternity with all those pastey, sexless, spinless, cring-pots, eternally worshipping a bloodthirsty, psychotic god (inferiority complex?!) is sooooo beyond anything I would even remotely consider as favourable I am willing to do ANYTHING to stay out!

Suggestions anyone?

Suggestions anyone?

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

--  Mark Twain

:HaHa:

1. No more sea. There was supposedly not going to be an ocean anymore. WTF? I love the tropics! No fucking beaches or anything? No offense, but if I wanted to live in landlocked Oklahoma or Utah I'd live there now. No more seas sucks ass.

Here in sun loving Australia, little christian boys and girls are assured that, in Heaven, the surf will be perfect each and every day.

No friends. No family. No pets. No animals. No surf. No marriage. No sex. No fun...

This heaven place sounds like a fate worse than hell.

Yep. That pretty much killed it for me too.

What I always hated about the idea of heaven is that you live for ETERNITY. I couldn't think of a worse hell than living. For eternity. I would get extremely bored.