Goodbye Jesus

Wisdom Quotes

Legion

Hey guys and gals, I came across this during a Google search (“dependent arisings” Aristotle).

http://homepages.iol.ie/~taeger/wisdomqu/wisdomq3.html

I liked many of the quotes here and I thought some of you here would enjoy them too. This was one of my favorites…

"One moon shows in every pool; in every pool, the one moon." - Zen Saying

Which ones do you like?

Nice site LR, here are a few I like:

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.".+

- Edgar Allan Poe

"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things through narrow chinks of his cavern."

- William Blake

All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.".+

- The Buddha

"Who sees all beings in his own Self, and his own Self in all beings, loses all fear."

The Upanishads

"Wrong is wrong. Even if it helps ya"

Popeye

DevaLight and Nightflight I liked the quotes you guys chose.

Skankboy I somehow doubt your quote was found within that page. :)

"Believe nothing merely because you have been told it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be kind, conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings -- that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide."

- The Buddha

Skankboy I somehow doubt your quote was found within that page.

You got me. :P

I take wisdom wherever I can find it...

"Believe nothing merely because you have been told it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be kind, conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings -- that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide."

- The Buddha

Raul I like this quote too. This is how I've heard it said though...

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." - The Buddha

"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it within himself."

- Galileo

"A great teacher never strives to explain his vision - he simply invites you to stand beside him and see for yourself."

- R. Inman

And unfortunately people tend to misunderstand those teachers. I've had a few of them, but my philosophy teacher was definitely like that. But most students dropped out, because they couldn't stand him, or understand the subject. So even if those two quotes are true, a lot of people expect teachers to "tell", not to "show", and they don't get this kind of teachers at all.

"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving."

- Lao Tzu

“When angry, count to four. When very angry, swear.”

"I have to stop every time I begin. Everytime I read "Pride and Prejudice" I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone."

Mark Twain