Goodbye Jesus

Going From One God To Another God

PocketAces

i hope the title is not taken in ill manner, because that's not my intentions.

i was just curious on how one does that, after the belief of another god failed?

i ask this because, its just a simple curiosity to me. when the idea of the Abrahamic god failed, for me, the same problematic areas turn to all the ideas of "gods"/"God". not because of anything personal or emotional but no other expression of gods or a god seemed to answer the very real questions and problems relating to that concept.

so what's your reasoning?

i'm not here to debate and will probably sit quietly as the discussion goes on if it does and may only reply here and there to replies that stand out to me, or any questions aimed at me.

• Super Moderator

It occurs to me that the Abrahamic god of the Bible is portrayed as the one, true, real god. He is also portrayed as cruel and just a bit whimsical. Many people don't like that.

Other "gods" are seen as symbolic. That is more palatable to many people. It is just a framework on which to hang their personal beliefs and hopes about our universe. Bible god is a rigid and exclusive concept that requires worship, while what others may call god is simply a device to codify a world view.

so what's your reasoning?

All religion, including mine, is per definitionem unprovable... however, that's still far from the total impossibility of the abrahamic monster gawd. ;)

As for me, I have evidence for the existence of my faith's deities... but this evidence is clearly of the personal kind. Others are welcome to disagree. :)

I was just curious on how one does that, after the belief of another god failed?

You simply find a definition or a concept of God that is sufficiently different from the really offensive God conception. You realize and see that if indeed there is a God it cannot be the illogical, bloodthirsty God of the Bible. You understand at a deep level that the Biblical writers have got it wrong. That doesn't mean there is no sort of God. Read the Upanishads, the Bhagavad Gita or The Ethics by Spinoza. It is just not the same God concept at all. Roll it around in your head awhile and see what happens.

I subscribe to what DevaLight said. That's exactly what I thought when I started dabbling in other religions.

I still had some concept of divinity, but figured it couldn't be the god of the Bible because

a) what's so godly about the god described in the Bible?(no offense)

B) His character looks like a patchwork from different ideologies from that time. Basically, you see that God changes at the whim of society.

What I did then was to start of with a philosophy of a religion, see how much I liked it and how it applied through me and then tried to establish some form of spiritual contact.

I went through spiritual satanism, wicca, belief in spirits and so on. I patiently waited, prayed, completed the rituals (moderate ones) and analized what I was getting back. Was said spirit responding or was it all in my mind? One didn't respond and I moved on to the next god. Conclusion was that they either didn't want to contact me even a little or they didn't care.

It was easy to move to the next god, I didn't have a strong attachment with the previous one.

Once I went through the process of shedding xian beliefs, and it took me a few years as I was deeply indoctrinated and I like to be thorough, there was just no room left for any other religious belief system. Disproving xianity pretty much disproved any similar belief for me.

I suppose there are at least two reasons why one would reject xianity but not reject religion in general. The first of which would be that they disproved xianity based merely on the idea that the religious teachings were flawed without getting into the specious reasoning that goes into belief in the first place. The second would be that some just seem to have a greater emotional need for spirituality than I and others like me have.