Goodbye Jesus

Zoroastrianism

Ouroboros

Here are some beliefs and legends from what is probably the first monotheistic religion, Zoroastrianism: (cut from religioustolerance.com: link)

A single god Ahura Mazda who is supreme. Communication between Himself and humans is by a number of Attributes, called Amesha Spentas or Bounteous Immortals. Within the Gathas, the original Zoroastrian sacred text, these Immortals are sometimes described as concepts, and are sometimes personified.

One school of thought promotes a cosmic dualism between:

* An all powerful God Ahura Mazda who is the only deity worthy of being worshipped, and

* An evil spirit of violence and death, Angra Mainyu, who opposes Ahura Mazda.

The resulting cosmic conflict involves the entire universe, including humanity who is required to choose which to follow. Evil, and the Spirit of Evil, will be completely destroyed at the end of time. Dualism will come to an end and Goodness will be all in all.

Another school of thought perceives the battle between Good and Evil as an ethical dualism, set within the human consciousness.

* Asha is a form of righteous, all encompassing, natural law.

Legends, which are probably not those of Zarathushtra's original teachings are:

* After death, the urvan (soul) is allowed three days to meditate on his/her past life. The soul is then judged by a troika Mithra, Sraosha and Rashnu. If the good thoughts, words and deeds outweigh the bad, then the soul is taken into heaven. Otherwise, the soul is led to hell.

The universe will go through three eras:

* creation;

* the present world where good and evil are mixed. People's good works are seen as gradually transforming the world towards its heavenly ideal;

* and a final state after this renovation when good and evil will be separated.

Eventually, everything will be purified. Even the occupants of hell will be released.

A Saoshyant (savior) will be born of a virgin, but of the lineage of the Prophet Zoroaster who will raise the dead and judge everyone in a final judgment.

Quite interesting. So they believe in a form of spirit through which God (Ahura Mazda) is communicating with humans. Or it could also be angels.

God vs Satan is just like Ahura Mazda and Angra Mainyu (Ahriman).

The world will come to an end, and the evil will be punished.

Asha, the natural law, or innate morality which Christians always try to claim is God-given.

One difference is that people who die are judged, balance of good vs evil, to enter Heaven. It's more like Judaism, or Islam.

But one interesting side is that everyone who goes to Hell, will be eventually released. It's just a purification, isn't that what the Catholic Church believe?

Also interesting with the legend of the virgin savior, but that could be something that came much later in their belief and wasn't part of the old-time belief. I think this one is mixed up with the Mithra (I guess a form of spiritual judge, or maybe it was originally Michael, the archangel?)

Zoroastrianism is considered by some to be the religion which influenced Judaism to become a monotheism. Who knows. Interesting similarities at least.

I think they also believe, unlike a lot of religions, that you don't actually need to be a follower of their religion to get into heaven. As long as your good thoughts, words and deeds outweigh the bad Ahura Madza isn't bothered about whether you believe in him/her/it (I'm not sure which pronoun should be used). Certainly seems like a more easygoing being than the Christian God at any rate.

Also, I was under the impression that most Catholics believed in eternal damnation. The only exception would be if you led an okay-ish lifestyle and ended up in Purgatory, in which case you do a few centuries' community service before you see the pearly gates. And I was also under the impression that the Vatican's current official stance of Purgatory is that it doesn't exist anyway. By all means correct me if I'm wrong though - I haven't read Dante's Inferno and don't remember a huge amount of Revelations.

I thought the Purgatory was the Catholic Hell. There you see how much I know! :HaHa:

Anyway, the Zoroastrianism is a closed religion. You can't join it, you have to be born into it. So there's only some 150,000 believers today. If they've had proselytizing in their religion, they would be just as big as Judaism or maybe even Islam. And we'd be sitting here trying to argue and convince the followers that they're delusional and show there are other crazy religions out there like Christianity with similar beliefs. And they of course would say Ahura Mazda revealed all the truth in the Avesta, so their faith must be the true one.

I've never been able to understand non-convert-accepting religions. Number one, it kills the religion, and number two, if I'm gonna be a believer, I'm gonna be one, dammit, and formal inclusion into your sect isn't going to change it. For example, if I decide to be Jewish and I go to the local synagogue and the rabbi tells me, "Sorry, we don't accept converts here", I just say "Fuck you, if I believe in Judaism then I believe", and raise my kids Jewish, and tell everyone that I'm Jewish. A baptism ritual is not neccessary in order to really believe.

I guess part of the problem could be that they got a load of shit in Iran from the Muslim regime, so maybe they don't want to deal with other people right now.

It's kind of interesting to see how the religions have become easier to join over time. The Zoroastrians: you had to be born into it. Judaism: you are born into it, but you can become a convert and it takes a long time to do it. Christianity: fairly easy, a little prayer and change your lifestyle (join a church). Islam: I'm not sure here, but I heard something about that it's extremely easy, just say God is great three times or something like that. Modern cults: just sign up.

I think Zoroastrianism grew out of tribal belonging, and no one thought about converting other people.

Anyway, the Zoroastrianism is a closed religion

Actually it isn't a closed religion...here is the website where (if you are so inclined) that you can start your conversion to the religion:

http://www.zoroastrianism.cc/universal_religion.html - Heimdall :yellow:

Interesting. (Maybe they're not "True Zoroastrians™" :grin:)

I think this group might be a "neo-zoroastrians" who have changed the old ways and opened it up. (And I will definitely save this link. Awesome. Thanks.)

According to the other reads I've done, traditionally you have to be born (or maybe married) into it, but they've had internal debates about it; especially considering how their numbers are going down. If I ever would go so crazy to think there is a God again, I would probably become a Zurvanist--in pure spite.

My sentiments also...they have a cool religion...too bad the Jews only stole part of it...LOL - Heimdall :yellow:

My sentiments also...they have a cool religion...too bad the Jews only stole part of it...LOL - Heimdall :yellow:

Oh cool! You feel like that too! From the little I've read, it seems to be a more consistent religion. And then Islam outlawed it and persecuted the followers too. Another religion I find fascinating is Manadeans. Also seems to be a more pure form of belief, and I think they incorporate Christianity (or at least Jesus) in their belief too.

Well, it is probably the Deist in me, but I have always considered them too strict...makes me think of Moslems and Fundies...I'll stick with Deism and Zoroasterism...LOL - Heimdall :yellow: