Goodbye Jesus

Unconfessed sins...?

Asimov

What kind of impossible standard is that. You have to confess for EVERY sin you've done in your life? I guess no one is saved, because no one can possibly know every bad thing they've done.

What kind of impossible standard is that.  You have to confess for EVERY sin you've done in your life?  I guess no one is saved, because no one can possibly know every bad thing they've done.

I agree. I spent too many years laying awake in bed worrying about one sin or another and praying for forgiveness. So much so that I established a pattern of anxiety that I to this day have to work hard to deal with.

I was scared of commiting a sin then not having the chance to repent before a sudden death. All those years wasted becuase I died without being able to repent for that very last sin, doomed to burn in hell for it.

I was scared of commiting a sin then not having the chance to repent before a sudden death.  All those years wasted becuase I died without being able to repent for that very last sin, doomed to burn in hell for it.

I remember my freshman year in college. I lived in the dorms and of course had all of the temptation that goes with that (secular state university). I used to cry my self to sleep sometimes scared to death I would die in my sin because I drank or whatever. If I had it in me I would now cry for the wasted years crying for my stupid faith.

God might as well have declared breathing to be sinful. Then, with every exhale you could say "forgive me Lord", "forgive me Lord",

Sin and confession is god's little way of keepin em barefoot and pregnant. 'Cept for us rebellious ones who decide to put on some walkin shoes and say fuck it.

"Sin". Without a doubt THE Number One most confusing issue of Xianity. I NEVER could figure out if it were one Sin that I was being saved from (repenting from), or was it many sinS? And every verse and every sermon just made things worse.

I'm amazed I just didn't commit suicide fucking around with this nightmare.

Guest JP1283

A few examples of the above sound like Religious Scrupulosity, its own form of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. I.E., worrying about forgiveness for possible sins that you may have committed, praying for forgiveness when a "sinful" thought comes to mind, etc. Christianity + OCD = Not Good.