Goodbye Jesus

10th Planet Discovered

benjaburns

It's Cybertron!  The planet of the Transformers from the classic series back in the 80s.

post-34-1123273637.jpg

It was the funniest fictional planet I could think of.  And the most immediately recognizable.

Doh. OK, my bad - I don't follow transformers at all. Have no clue.

Thanks for the tip. :thanks:

Merlin

Guest Winchester Slate

I'm all for calling Pluto a planet. Just because it's so dissimilar doesn't mean it should have a different classification. All the planets in our solar system are RIDICULOUSLY dissimilar to each other.

• 1 month later...
Guest Challenger
How about Vulcan?  We don't have any planets named after him yet.

;)

It used to be believed that there was an inner planet even closer to the Sun than Mercury; this hypothetical planet was called "Vulcan"; the astronomers were looking for a reason why Mercury's orbit didn't exactly match their calculations, and the gravitational pull of another planet would account for that.

Once Einstein's Theory of Relativity was applied to the calculations, the problem disappeared.

We do however have a small Albertan town named after him. It's down south in the Mutant wastelands near Lethbridge full of Mutant Mormons (less mutated than Utahean Mormons, but way mutated than normal secular mormons).

"Normal secular mormons?"

Where in the world did you pick up that myth? If anything, it's Utah Mormons that are the secular ones, just ask anyone else who lives among them.

• 2 weeks later...
Utahian Mormons:

Friendly tip; the term is just "Utah Mormons." For folks who live here it's simply "Utahns."

1)treat non Mormons like doggy poo (common complaint among the Utah citizens.

I've gotta' admit, I'm curious what Utah citizens you're getting this information from. I'll say again, I've lived here my entire life, and it's my experience that most of the people who treat others poorly for being "different" would do so whether they were Mormon or not. Most of my neighbors are devout Mormons, and I hold them in the highest esteem. Their faith has nothing to do with it, they're just good folks.

2)Most of the women are nutty Mollies that chastise you if they see you with Folgers in your shopping cart (not so in Canada). (as explained on www.exmormon.org)

Once again... I've lived here for 20 years and have yet to see this happen. Most folks, whether Mormon or not, are good enough people to realize other peoples' groceries and lifestyles are their own damn business.

There may be some cultural differences, but for the most part women here are no different from women everywhere else.

3)Mormons in Utah named their cities after imaginary characters in the BM.

True, they did do this... almost 200 years ago. When the state was still being colonized, predominantly by Mormon settlers. You'd be hard pressed to find a city founded in the last 50 years with an easily-recognizeable BoM name.

4)Mormons in Utah pretended to be "lamanites" and kill fellow Americans.

I've gotta' ask... What the hell is this all about?

5) Mormons only allow .1 alchole. In Canada mormons have to put up with hockey hosers on .5 alchole or .9 if it's ale.

Different places, different cultures, different rules. I may not agree with them, but they make up the majority population of the state, so it's their decision to make.

Besides, the alcohol cap only affects retail sales. Bars are allowed to make drinks containing much higher concentrations, and virtually every city in the state has a state liquor store that sells all the high-content alcohol that retailers can't. That's the inspiration for the joke "You know you're from Utah when the biggest alcohol dealer is the state."

6)Utah laws make it hell for non mormons who don't believe in WOW to drink. (like you can't open a bar anywhere, because it has to be a night club or something). Mormons in other parts of america or Canada, have to put up with secular freedoms: such as opening bars all over, strong alchole.

Not really. They can be annoying sometimes, but it's nothing unbearable. The people it really sucks for are those of us between 18 and 21. Since Utah law requires virtually all establishments that serve alcohol to operate as private clubs available only to people 21+, all of us stuck in the limbo years between legal adulthood and legal drinking age get shafted.

If all you're after is alcohol, that's not difficult to come by at all. Every underage non-Mormon I know has an older friend who's willing to go out and buy booze for them.

Infact. In Bontiful BC (odd I though the Mormons hated the mountains and that's why they went up and down not sideways across America); there was a mutant family similar to King's mutant family in Utah.

You do realize Utah is smack in the middle of the mountain west, right? If Mormons hate mountains, they must also be the world's biggest masochists.

You also need to realize that King is a "fringe Mormon," so to speak. He follows his own version of their doctrines, and by no means represents the majority of the Mormon community in even the slightest way. The most obvious difference being that most Mormons aren't polygamists.

I'm trying not to be offensive with this, but I don't know if that's possible with what I wish to say. People like you seem to be really upset me when discussing this subject. You don't seem to really know much about the LDS religion or the folks who believe in it; you just regurgitate all the sensationalized stories you've read online documenting how horrible those Mormons are. It's possible you really are familiar with the Mormon church and the behaviors and attitudes of Mormons in your area, but it's blatantly obvious from the post above that you know next to nothing about "Utah Mormons," despite that you speak on the subject as if you had such authority.

If you want to challenge the religion itself based on shortcomings found therein, I'll not stand in your way for a second. Hell, I'll likely join you. However, Mormons are people just like everyone else. They all have their differences, their good and bad sides, and judging all of them as one is just as ridiculous and wrong as judging any large group of people based upon a single similar characteristic.

Guest Challenger

(Merlinfmct87)

I'm for 9 planets myself. Pluto is an oddball, but we shouldn't discount it simply becouse it is strange. IMO, it has a valid claim for being a full planet.

Pluto may be a loose moon of Neptune. It has a lot of similarities to a large Neptunian moon Triton, an active body with "cryo-volcanoes", and which is in an orbit retrograde to Neptune's rotation. This in turn is producing tidal "friction" which may cause Triton, a body similar in size to Earth's moon, to someday (millions of years form now) collide with Neptune.

Personally, I agree with the description of it I heard on NPR the other day. Rather than teaching about the solar system based on the historical models, scientists are teaching based on a system of classification. Instead of learning about the nine planets first and the rest of the solar system after, they first teach kids about the four similar "core worlds," large, solid objects composed mostly of rock. Then they're taught about the gas giants, huge bodies of vapor and gasses with no real substance. In between these is the asteroid belt, chunks of dust and rock left over from the formation of the solar system; and beyond them is the Kuiper (sp) Belt, which contains objects composed primarily of ice and dust--potential comets.

The planets are still recognized, for historical value if nothing else, but their significance takes a back seat to scientific organization for better understanding.

You want to get bad vibes from Utah Mormons? Wait till they find out that you are friends with a Polygamist. There are people who still won't talk to me because i was friends with one.

And oh yeah.... IT'S THE 11TH FRIKKIN PLANET! THE 10TH WAS DISCOVERED LAST YEAR!

Guest Challenger
90337 Sedna

Thanks. I don't think Sedna has been "officially" classed as a planet, but it's close enough in size to Pluto to where I'd give it the distinction--possibly calling it a "plutonian" type of world, much as the four inner planets are "terrestrial" and the outer gas giants are "jovians".

Here's a pretty good link about Sedna:

http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~mbrown/sedna/

Also known as 2003 VB12 (Sedna) in Celestia. Very cool program BTW. I've played around with it enough to be able to navigate from M31 or any other galaxy all the way to Earth without nav aids or star labels. I recommend to anyone interested in space.

I've also added on the SW planets/objects...