Goodbye Jesus

Religious Bigotry in Hospitals

Amethyst

North Dakota Hospital Adds Meditation Room

The hospital has published rules for use of the room. Peyote, used by some American Indian groups in ceremonies, and other drugs are prohibited, as is the "practice of any religion or act which is diametrically opposed to the Roman Catholic Church." The hospital lists "Satanism, Wicca and Voodoo" as examples.

WTF??! Why build it in the first place then? Stupid bigots!

:vent:

I smell a lawsuit coming, and it doesn't smell good.

North Dakota Hospital Adds Meditation Room

WTF??!  Why build it in the first place then?  Stupid bigots!

:vent:

I smell a lawsuit coming, and it doesn't smell good.

I have to wonder if a lawsuit would be successful. After all, if they are a private Catholic hospital, they can discriminate against whatever religious groups they like.

But, on the other hand, if they built a room for people of other religious backgrounds to use, they might get smacked around for public use restrictions, which means either EVERY group gets to use it according to their religious beliefs, or NOBODY gets to use it. If I remember my public use laws correctly, that is.

But either way, it's discouraging, and it's just bigotry disguised under partial multiculturalism.

I know. I'm surprised they aren't against Shamanism because that belief system does use ritual magic. Wicca is more similar to that than it is to Satanism. But I guess it's okay to be prejudice against witches and not shamans. Sounds like a double standard to me.

I have to wonder if a lawsuit would be successful.  After all, if they are a private Catholic hospital, they can discriminate against whatever religious groups they like.

I know next to nothing about the legislation of other countries, but for Germany, I fear that statement would be correct. :vent:

Guest JP1283

Well, to play Devil's Advocate, it is a Catholic hospital, so they can make up whatever rules they want. I work for a Catholic hospital (Providence St. Joseph's in Burbank) and they have a meditation room as well. I've even gone in it a couple times just to catch my breath.

A meditation room?...but no Buddhists allowed? :Doh:

I didn't see the part about no Buddhists. But they seem okay with discriminating against other non-Christian religions, so...

:shrug:

Well, to play Devil's Advocate, it is a Catholic hospital, so they can make up whatever rules they want.  I work for a Catholic hospital (Providence St. Joseph's in Burbank) and they have a meditation room as well.  I've even gone in it a couple times just to catch my breath.

That's why I hesitate to say that any kind of lawsuit would be successful.

And I find it funny that THIS Catholic hospital built this room so that the Native Americans in the area who practice shamanism can use THEIR religious beliefs, but are still of the "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" mindset.

Like I keep saying, some people use their religion to further their own bigotry.

Edited, because the word I wanted was not "acceptable" but "successful", gee, I need to pay attention today....