Goodbye Jesus

Just Something I Noticed

Yaoi Huntress Earth

I'm a fan of old sitcomes from the Nixon era like All in the Family and Good Times and one thing I've noticed is that compared to the older sitcoms and movies, you really don't see friends\family being all that affectionate with each other in media. In this day and age, if you saw a show where a person kisses her best friend of the same gender on the cheek in a nonsexual way, every uber-rightwing group would be screaming how it the show was promoting homosexuality. The most of the time you really see anything like that on TV it usually has to do with sleezy sexual inuendo.

I understand things change, but it makes you wonder about the mindset of the American people where love and affection are something that is bad or corrupted.

It's kind of funny that you mention that, because about a week ago I had a cold and took the day off from work and spent the day on the couch....there is nothing on during the day so I was stuck watching re-runs of the Munsters and Gilligans Island and All in the Family, shows like that. I couldn't believe the stuff they used to get away with on All in the Family, I was laughing my ass off. But that show would never fly today, it would be banned for being too racist and homophobic. But I think that's what made it such a funny show.

I don't know what's going on with TV these days, it seems everything is either too serious or too watered down as to not offend anyone and there is no more fun or creativity ... at least not on network TV. I mean some of those old comedy shows for as silly as they were, at least were entertaining and good for a laugh or two.....

I couldn't believe the stuff they used to get away with on All in the Family, I was laughing my ass off.  But that show would never fly today, it would be banned for being too racist and homophobic.  But I think that's what made it such a funny show.

Unlike a lot of sitcoms these days, shows like AitF had characters who had deph and personality as well.

I don't know what's going on with TV these days, it seems everything is either too serious or too watered down as to not offend anyone and there is no more fun or creativity ... at least not on network TV.  I mean some of those old comedy shows for as silly as they were, at least were entertaining and good for a laugh or two.....

I know what you mean. Sometimes it seems like that shows I really like have a 50-75% of getting canceled by the second season. (I'm still pissed about Greg the Bunny being canceled.)