Goodbye Jesus

Why Did You Pick Your New Religon?

LastKing

This is for everyone who left Christanity for a new relgion or some form spirituality. Why did you pick it and what kept you becoming an athesit?

I am Buddhist because its teachings makes sense to me. In Buddhism, use of your mind and reasoning ability is not prohibited. The goal, freedom from suffering, seems to be something I want to explore.

I am an atheist with regard to a creator God such as the Christian God, but can't rule out the existence of higher beings, since I am not omniscient.

I don't refer to myself as an atheist because of the truckload of assumptions that go with it in this US culture, which do not apply to me.

This is for everyone who left Christanity for a new relgion or some form spirituality. Why did you pick it and what kept you becoming an athesit?

Out of sheer curiosity I started to read the Poetic Edda, and after just a few lines something clicked in my mind and I was... connected. It felt like I'm "home at last".

Can't describe that feeling with words (other than the ones above) :)

Flip answer: I got a better offer.

Similar to Thurisaz, I started reading out of curiosity, though my reading was on more general pagan and magical paths, and, well, they clicked with me. I'll also admit that I've had more real experiences in pagan circles, religiously than I ever had in a church. While I recognize that this experience is a form of unsubstantiated personal gnosis, it's also something that I have observed and cannot deny.

Also, when working with some concepts, it's easier to represent them in my head as a god. Hence the part-time atheist statement I sometimes make.

I am a big fan of Zen/Buddhist/Taoist thought. along with Pastafarianism, Discordianism, and others. So, becoming a Unitarian Universalist was a natural step for me. They respect my personal journey, and I get to hide under their big umbrella, hidden from the average Christian.

UUs have many atheists and theists, christians, jews, and buddhists in their ranks, along with complete nutjobs like me. :P