Goodbye Jesus

How Do You Manage To Accept The Idea Of God After Having Been Through Xtianity.

HelloWorld

You don't have to believe anything... except that it is time to have another beer.

We have so many presumptive beliefs in our heads already, there is no need for any others. I believe that I can understand the physical world with my senses. I believe I can understand spoken and written language based upon my own verbal experience. I believe that emotions are accurate expressions of a person's intellectual and physical response to a stimulus.

Instead of believing in concepts, ideas and other intangible things... try believing in life.

I used to know a woman who'd had a near death experience, except she called it her death experience. She said there was nothing near about it, she was dead for a while (I don't remember how long). She also said being dead was cool (as in a good experience). I know some scientists have theorized as to possible natural causes for these experiences. Obviously there's plenty of room for skepticism, but according to her the experience was very real and very different from what any religion would have predicted. That's about all she would say much about it. I've read other such experiences and some stories are quite remarkable. For me these stories are evidence that there is more to life than we can possibly know and maybe that's the way it's supposed to be. It helps me believe in a higher power and a benevolent universe.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Almost everyone here seems to assume that the sine qua non of religion is belief. I'm not sure I agree with that. I think that, for a really healthy religion, belief will be ancillary.