Goodbye Jesus

The "true" Meaning Of Xmas

Max

This one has been aggravating me for quite some time, so let me see if I can adequatly explain it.

OK, Xtians like to say there is a "war" on xmas. And they talk about the "reason for the season," and how this is a primarily religious holiday, and basically assert ownership over the celebration. They need to interject a reading of Matthew whenever they get the chance. Now, let's all set aside for a few moments the fact that we know the celebration is an outgrowth of the celebration of the winter solstace, and all of the elements originated in various pagan traditions. Let us for now just consider it from a xtian perspective.

If this is truly a religions holiday, intended to celebrate the humble beginnings of a holy man who eschewed materialism - why, then, is the celebration so clearly materialistic? Why is the main culmination of the holiday the presentation of copious numbers of expensive gifts, to the point where people go into debt to buy them, and where the holiday sales season is the key to retailer profits for the entire year? Why do all of our most popular xmas stories center around children receiving a special gift, a material possession that they did not need, but really wanted badly? How many (classic, traditional) movies include someone saying "xmas won't come" when they hear that Santa has somehow been waylaid? Why is this the season of bright lights, glitter, food and drink and parties? Where the hell did Santa and flying reindeer get into the mix? What does dragging a tree into the living room have to do with bible-based xtian values?

I'm not slamming the celebrations - actually that's the only thing I like about the season. And I'll admit to having made a donation to Toys for Tots this year when I heard they were behind on donations. But I'm not a xtian, so my only motivations are having fun, and hoping to help some poor kid have a little more happiness.

It's just that the perspective of xmas as a true religion celebration is just so patently ludicrous. It bothered me even when I was a xtain. Aside from midnight mass for Catholics, a church xmas play for protestants, and an array of nativity scenes, religion doesn't really show up as a noteworthy part of the holiday. Oh, yes, they'd respond that "people forget" what the holiday is "really" about, but that still doesn't explain how all of this stuff got started in the first place if this was really a pure xtian celebration.

Outside of a nativity scene, I can't think of any traditional Christmas icon (tree, decorations, lights, mistletoe, holly, snowmen, reindeer, jack frost, Santa, yule logs) that have anything to do with Christ. Well in a detached way, St. Nick does, but not the current version of Santa. All of them are rooted in other religions that the British, Germanic/Nordic, Romans, and Greeks followed prior to Christianity.

I decided to create Saturnalia greeting cards this year. I am trying to attach them, so hopefully they will work. One is the front and the other the back of the folding card. I intended to put decorations on the inside of the card, but didn't get around to it. I stole the images from somewhere, but I doubt they'd mind.

"Io, Saturnalia!"

card_front.jpg

card_back.jpg

What most of the world calls Christmas comes from the Victorians.

god says: "Bah, humbug!" over Christmas:

Jeremiah 10:2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

10:3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

10:4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

10:5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

I believe in Anti-Clause, and we'll celebrating Ex-Christmas from now on. :grin: