Goodbye Jesus

Belief As A Prerequisite For Proof?

Mike D

One of the reasons I am a skeptic when it comes to claims of gods, demons, angels, ghosts, etc. etc., is because i've never seen, touched, felt, or otherwise experienced any of these things. But, many people who claim these things are real are also quick to point out that the reason these entities have never revealed themselves to me is because I don't believe in them - how can I experience something which I don't believe exists? But isn't this backwards? Why would a ghost give a rats ass if I believed in it prior to revealing to me that it exists?

Never works for other religions though. A Christian wouldn't accept a Mormon's admonition to believe without proof.

One of the reasons I am a skeptic when it comes to claims of gods, demons, angels, ghosts, etc. etc., is because i've never seen, touched, felt, or otherwise experienced any of these things. But, many people who claim these things are real are also quick to point out that the reason these entities have never revealed themselves to me is because I don't believe in them - how can I experience something which I don't believe exists? But isn't this backwards? Why would a ghost give a rats ass if I believed in it prior to revealing to me that it exists?

people, as far as i'm concerned, the proof comes from the belief. you first believe in something and then find reason to believe in it, which is easy to do, when your convinced prior that the belief is true. then people use their experiences, the feelings they get from their brain, emotions.

you can't believe in something that you don't believe exists. how could you find the proof when you believe it doesn't exist?

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I have "experienced" god so much. But I never knew it was god. I thought it was just a normal life experience but on a level I couldn't talk to anyone about. I'm just a weirdo and there's lot of stuff I can't talk about to others. Then I read a book that made me realize that this experience was god. It didn't last, though. It was not convincing, for some reason. I'm not sure why. Maybe because it was too commonplace for me. One day it came to me that "god" begins and ends in the human psyche. Soon thereafter I found an article on behavioural psychology that proved via high technology that we have a part in the brain that causes this experience.

So my hunch was right that "god" begins and ends in the human psyche.

Christians argue that it makes sense that God gives us an organ via which we can experience him.

Yeah right. It seems to me that they don't understand what I am talking about so I never bother taking it anywhere. Also, the concept is not yet well enough established scientifically for me to really know how to argue about it. Not that it would do any good, anyway.