Goodbye Jesus

Christians, The God You Worship Is Evil

quicksand

As a child in Sunday School, I still vividly recall being lectured on Gods love. To demonstrate how you should love God, it was insisted to us that you must become as obedient as Abraham.

So we were taught the story of Abraham and Isaac.

"Then He said, "Take now your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you."

It was insisted to us that Abraham's unquestioning obedience to God – even if he as to murder his son, was a high moral imperative that we should emulate.

Then they came to the place of which God had told him. And Abraham built an altar there and placed the wood in order; and he bound Isaac his son and laid him on the altar, upon the wood.

And Abraham stretched out his hand and took the knife to slay his son.

We were told that God was on the side of good because he sent an angel to halt the sacrifice. Really? What kind of God would demand the death of his child? Just never mind the fact that it was God who wanted Abraham to kill his son.

In this child's mind, I can still recall being frightened by things that God's would demand. I was to love God through this type of obedience? I was horrified – and as a fully indoctrinated, uncritical, fully trusting Christian child I wondered if God would make similar demands on my father and put me under the knife.

But do you Christians step back and think about your God's actions in this?

No.

If anything, the story of Isaac should lead you to question divine command - and especially of those who are said to represent Gods authority. Instead of calling out God for the brutality he represents, sensing, you position it as a virtue because you know deep down in your conscious, that the story of Abraham and Isaac illustrates unqualified evil.

And you qualify this type of obedience as love.

This is the most twisted love I can think of.

The love of sacrifice.

The love of a God wanting you to kill your own.

The love of blood.

And if that's not bad enough, you worship and love this god who demands the death his own son because he simply can not forgive humanity.

It wasn't Satan demanding that Jesus be killed. No, it was God his father.

Any god that commands you to kill your family and then kills his own son out of debt to himself is evil. Any religion that demands obedience and espouses obedience as virtue is about as antithetical to freedom of thought and the basic rights of humanity as one can get.

You worship an evil monster.

And you just can't see it.

The whole Abraham/Isaac story was one that scared me too as a kid. I knew it likely wouldn't happen in the late 1990's and early 2000's. It still scared me.

The Christian god is indeed a monster.

• Super Moderator

Some modern day murderers are also directed by the voice of god. The notion that there is a god that can speak to us has been responsible for countless murders and wars.

The Abraham and Isaac fable is akin to a father telling his son to kill his dog to prove his love. These are the actions of a sick mind, not a god.

As a child I thought it was rather mean of god to do that to Abraham. So I'm glad I'm not alone on that one.

Yeah, I cannot comprehend how people cannot see that as twisted and depraved.

Can you imagine today some ruler of a country saying, "Let's demand you murder your own child in cold blood to prove your love for me."

"Oh wait, I'm going to stop you at the last possible moment and you'll love me even more for it! Why? Because I said so! Yeah, it was all a test to make you love me! Anything I do is just a test to make you love me, no matter how depraved it may seem, surely you know that by now! And of course if you question my tests, you are questioning My Plan. So just go along with it, okay?"

WTF kind of crazy person thinks that way? And I cannot comprehend anymore why Christians really want to worship him? Yeah, I get the whole worshiping Biblegod out of fear thing. But come on. This is 2008, not 1008. Surely as a society, we can move on from this kind of insanity.

As for the fear thing, I replaced the Silent Night lyrics with watermelon in church on Christmas Eve, and I have not been struck down by a lightning bolt yet. Still waiting for that one.

*Taps feet and whistles*

Unflinching loyalty to Authority....be it god or man, is a sad, sad thing.

Freedom, true freedom, true free will, is the ability to say "No" and take the consequences. Abraham was a poor example of a Free Human ......he was enslaved by the fear of death at the hands of his god.

It always creeped me out and never made sense to me. Isaac was a "miracle" born to parents far too old for conception. Why would God want him dead? And the whole God-fearing thing, WHY is that a good thing?

That's a good question, Ix. Why is fearing God such a good thing? I thought fear was supposed to be bad? We've got nothing to be afraid of if we trust in the Lawd, so why are we still fearing the person/thing supposed to be protecting us?

oh don't get me started on this one. I mean say if you had an apple tree and you caught someone stealing an apple and then see them eat it you would probably yell at the theif but you wouldn't punish their children & grandchildren for it would you?.

Well that is what god did isn't it he punished Adam & Eve and then made sure all of their children and the children that followed got punished for it too since this punishment is why we grow old and die according to some people's reading of the bible.

By the way I remember reading somewhere on here that Satan only killed 10 people where the 10 people Job's children by any chance?

Yes, this was one of the first bible stories I truly doubted as being true, because I could just no believe God would ask such a thing. That was something that the devil would do. If someone claimed God had told him to do something like that today, even Christians would claim it was Satan decieving him.

One good argument I heard about this came from a Jew. He said that it is considered possible in some Jewish circles is that there was a test here, but not the one Christians claim and it was a test that Abraham failed. The test being that God wanted him to think for himself and that Abraham should have refused to do such an act. It was a test to see if Abraham really knew God or not. God had to step in to stop Abraham from doing that terrible act.