Goodbye Jesus

Fear Of Anything New

LastKing

I want to explore other world religon fully but I now find myself scared of the idea of trying anything. After every thing I saw the Christians doing how do I know I wont fall preay for another groupe of nuts. I am even afraid to start talking in Buddhist, Hindu, Pagan ect websites simply becasie I am afraid I might fall for another trap. I use to really love exploring belifes but I have few new scars from my Christian days. Cab any relate?

Guest Princess Bitch
I want to explore other world religon fully but I now find myself scared of the idea of trying anything. After every thing I saw the Christians doing how do I know I wont fall preay for another groupe of nuts. I am even afraid to start talking in Buddhist, Hindu, Pagan ect websites simply becasie I am afraid I might fall for another trap. I use to really love exploring belifes but I have few new scars from my Christian days. Cab any relate?

Very simple. Use your head. It would seem your bullshit detectors should be quite sensitive after your stroll through Christianity, so it shouldn't be that hard. I explored other religious thought and along the way got fairly deep into paganism, only to find that it's all pretty much the same bullshit but feeding the beast different stuff. Christianity is alfalfa, Islam is barley, Judaism is oats but it's still the same shit in the end.

The only advice I have beyond that is simply to avoid organized religion in general and instead, if you feel you must explore some kind of religion or life-philosophy, is to simply do research and adopt what schools of thought work for you. Me personally, I find the simplicity of the pagan "Do what you will, so long as you harm none" to be a life philosophy I can live by and I don't need all the other spell casting, candle magick hocus pocus bullshit to go with it. After five years of searching and trying on different things to find what works, those ten words and the wonderful "I don't know" of agnosticism work perfectly for me.

I took a long look at other beliefs and philosophies a long time ago, and I'll offer this: xianity and islam aside, few other religions actively "recruit" new members. You' ll never hear a buddhist say "join us or you're going to hell." Tao is exactly the opposite of xianity; they have a "what is, is" attitude I admire. I finally decided that I wasn't buying what any of them were selling, but's that's just me.

Listen to PB. Set your bullshit detectors on maximum, and investigate away. You may find as I did that I wasn't looking so much for a religion, as a post xian philosophy. Good luck

• Super Moderator

You don't really need someone else to tell you what to think. Familiarizing yourself with the major religious philosophies can't hurt, but try not to join anything just yet. Better yet, start your own religion! ;)

You' ll never hear a buddhist say "join us or you're going to hell."

Join us or you're going to hell. :P

Saying it and meaning it on the other hand...

On topic:

Always keep in mind that there isn't any rush to choose. Take your time. Also, the three religions you mentioned (Pagan, Hindu, and Buddhist) carry many vastly different interpretations. Even if your bullshit detector goes off (and it will) don't condemn the whole tree because one apple is bad.

I want to explore other world religon fully but I now find myself scared of the idea of trying anything. After every thing I saw the Christians doing how do I know I wont fall preay for another groupe of nuts. I am even afraid to start talking in Buddhist, Hindu, Pagan ect websites simply becasie I am afraid I might fall for another trap. I use to really love exploring belifes but I have few new scars from my Christian days. Can any relate?

Christianity, more often than not, seems to create a sense of fear that can be difficult to shake. I think that fear is carried around for a while, in various forms.

I think you should freely explore these other things. How else can you conquer that fear? Especially, irrational fear.

LastKing, My advice is that maybe you could just do some reading on various religions and not look for a group right away. Analyze for yourself why just reading and investigating would make you scared. You can learn a lot just from books and DVDs at home. Then, if something strikes you as making sense, you could investigate it further by looking for a group later on. Just don't worry about it and, above all, don't put pressure on yourself.

If necessary, you can put limits on yourself. You can say to yourself something like "I will just read on the internet and take out library books about different religions for the next 6 months", if you feel the need to. Do some experimenting that way. Then if it feels like you are being swayed, just back off and let it all go for awhile. If you think chatting on a Buddhist or pagan site is somehow threatening, that's ok, just let it go. Remember, you are in the driver's seat here. No one is going to stand over you with a stick and say you must believe something.

There's a ton of websites out there that have good information on Buddhist/Hindu/Pagan sites. You don't have to chat. Nobody is saying that you do. Just read up. If you can, check out some library books. Visit all the sites you want.

There's no rush to be in a group. There's no law saying you have to be part of a group. If you want a group, find something else, a different kind of group, that isn't based on religion. If you don't want to be in a group, don't join one.

Your bullshit-detector is definitely going to be sensitive post-Jesus. This is good. If anything sounds liek bullshit, research it. If it's still bullshit, leave it and move on. Do not EVER ignore the bullshit detector.

May I suggest you explore yourself before you devote yourself to something?

Ask yourself some questions.

Who am I?

Why are we here?

Why is everything else here?

How should I treat people?

Take those answers and find your cult.

This is my cult right here.