Goodbye Jesus

Grrrr. I Hate That Time Of The Month

Amethyst

So I woke up at 2 am with sharp, stabbity pains and I'm reading about this while I wait for the 3 Aleve pills to kick in.

Dysmenorrhea

This is what I have. What worries me is that some of the things it may be linked to are not fun.

I have had awful mood swings around my time of the month and terrible cramps during it pretty much since I was in high school and first got my period. This isn't just a sudden thing.

I've tried the whole changing your diet to be healthier, getting more exercise, taking calcium pills, taking wild yam cream, herbs, etc. etc. etc. I lost weight, but it didn't do a thing for my cramping. The herbs helped mildly, but OTC stuff works better.

I have reason to believe my symptoms are related to hormonal changes: I get canker sores in my mouth like clockwork as a PMS symptom. And there are times I get depression around that time of the month.

Argh. I wish I had more money and the economy was less sucky so I could get this checked out.

I have a very high deductible on my Blue Cross, so virtually any trip I take to the doctor, I pay for out of my pocket. Which is why I avoid going to the doctor unless I have to go, like tomorrow, for my eyes because I lost a glasses lens (luckily it was the one for my bad eye, which I can barely see out of anyway, so I could still drive to work). And it's been 2-3 years since I had a new pair of glasses.

If I had a job that didn't suck and actually had decent health benefits, I would go in a heart beat.

I have some reservations about universal health care coverage, but if I could see a doctor for things like this which have always plagued me, it would be worthwhile to me.

Hi, I have been reading these forums for a while now and I have noticed one thing. A lot of the Americans on here seem to have a big problem with their doctors, insurance etc. I am from Australia, and I can tell you we get it so much easier. Our health system is so simple. We all get a national medicare card, and there are some not a lot of doctors around who will bulk-bill you so you only pay a minimal amount. Because I get govt subsidies, I get a concession card that I can use at some doctors and get my bill free. We have a few clinics where I live where it is all bulk-billed on medicare. You don't pay a cent. At the end of tax-time, you work out if you pay a rebate for the medicare for the year. Some people pay according to their income. It is all so simple and stress free. I love the fact that Australia has a wonderful unified system. We do of course have private health insurance, if you want it. But on the whole I am very impressed with our healthcare, and I can only look in wonderment at the way the USA treats its citizens.

Hi, I have been reading these forums for a while now and I have noticed one thing. A lot of the Americans on here seem to have a big problem with their doctors, insurance etc. I am from Australia, and I can tell you we get it so much easier. Our health system is so simple. We all get a national medicare card, and there are some not a lot of doctors around who will bulk-bill you so you only pay a minimal amount. Because I get govt subsidies, I get a concession card that I can use at some doctors and get my bill free. We have a few clinics where I live where it is all bulk-billed on medicare. You don't pay a cent. At the end of tax-time, you work out if you pay a rebate for the medicare for the year. Some people pay according to their income. It is all so simple and stress free. I love the fact that Australia has a wonderful unified system. We do of course have private health insurance, if you want it. But on the whole I am very impressed with our healthcare, and I can only look in wonderment at the way the USA treats its citizens.

Well the main problem is that health care in the U.S. is so expensive. It's gotten to the point where many people don't go to the doctor for preventative care anymore because of the out-of-pocket cost, which of course will lead to people having more severe health problems in the long run when they get older. Kind of like a domino effect.

I hope Obama can fix our failing health care system. It's so outdated, it's really sad.

I pay about $1200 a year for health insurance and I basically have emergency coverage. I've been working for just over 10 years (real jobs, not babysitting jobs). I could've had a down payment on a house saved up by now! :ugh:

Planned Parenthood clinics often offer free (or very low cost) exams. I'm not sure if those exams would check out your Dysmenorrhea or not, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

And I am starting to feel the pain of those insuranceless or having problems with their insurance coverage. After I graduate, since I am putting off further schooling, I am cut off from my parent's insurance. I am trying to fit all the big stuff (prescriptions, oral surgery, whatever) into these last few weeks before I go the England b/c I'm prob not going to nhave this sort of coverage for awhile.

Planned Parenthood clinics often offer free (or very low cost) exams. I'm not sure if those exams would check out your Dysmenorrhea or not, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Hmm, I would never have thought to go to PP to for such a problem. I've always felt lucky that I never had such problems during my menstruation. The worst I get is breast tenderness a week before menstruation.

Oh, an update: Apparently I need bifocals. And I am not even middle-aged yet!

So I'm going to wind up spending a good chunk of money I have to pay out of pocket for both the exam and the frames, but at least they were having a buy one, get one promo.

Jeez, Amethyst, a double-whammy. {{{hugs}}}

I feel for you >_<. I have polycystic ovary syndrome, which for years just meant I didn't get periods, then for a few years I got two a year (which I know now probably wasn't good for me, but at the time I didn't care 'cause I didn't want to be a girl anyway). Something in my chemistry changed I guess so I started having them almost 'regularly' (3 to 7 weeks between), and the pain started on the high side and slowly worsened over a few years (the bleeding was pretty scary at times too). I finally gave in when I went three weeks with the kind of cramps that give backaches. It's so not fun.

I wish I could tell you how I dealt with it, but it was mostly sleeping as much as I could or at least lying down kind of curled up and giving myself backaches from sitting bent over. Heat (from a heating pad or one of those microwave things) sometimes helped, you might try that if you haven't (the latter is easier than the former to fit on the front; I suppose you could try those patches but they're kind of expensive and not reusable; these are little expensive but they work well: http://warmwhiskers.com/products/body-wraps/). I've never had much luck myself with naproxen for anything (ibuprofen works better for me) but that's an individual thing, depends on your chemistry. I do pretty well now with birth control pills, but whether that would help probably depends on what's up, and you'd still have to see a doctor to figure it out. Best thing you can do though is get in to see someone as soon as you possibly can (don't be afraid to look around for somewhere you can afford), 'cause it could be something serious, or hopefully something very treatable.

I feel for you >_<. I have polycystic ovary syndrome, which for years just meant I didn't get periods, then for a few years I got two a year (which I know now probably wasn't good for me, but at the time I didn't care 'cause I didn't want to be a girl anyway). Something in my chemistry changed I guess so I started having them almost 'regularly' (3 to 7 weeks between), and the pain started on the high side and slowly worsened over a few years (the bleeding was pretty scary at times too). I finally gave in when I went three weeks with the kind of cramps that give backaches. It's so not fun.

I wish I could tell you how I dealt with it, but it was mostly sleeping as much as I could or at least lying down kind of curled up and giving myself backaches from sitting bent over. Heat (from a heating pad or one of those microwave things) sometimes helped, you might try that if you haven't (the latter is easier than the former to fit on the front; I suppose you could try those patches but they're kind of expensive and not reusable; these are little expensive but they work well: http://warmwhiskers.com/products/body-wraps/). I've never had much luck myself with naproxen for anything (ibuprofen works better for me) but that's an individual thing, depends on your chemistry. I do pretty well now with birth control pills, but whether that would help probably depends on what's up, and you'd still have to see a doctor to figure it out. Best thing you can do though is get in to see someone as soon as you possibly can (don't be afraid to look around for somewhere you can afford), 'cause it could be something serious, or hopefully something very treatable.

^^^^

My wife has that, and the chances of making a baby are down to about lottery level because of it. The rate of miscarriage is also higher.

My wife has that, and the chances of making a baby are down to about lottery level because of it. The rate of miscarriage is also higher.

Yeah, that's what worries me.

It could be from other things too that are treatable.

Makes me feel really grateful that my period pains are manageable given I take a couple of ibuprofen before they get really bad. If I don't get the meds, the worst that happens is extreme discomfort and vomiting. I am also really thankful that my period is very predictable and regular.

Is it not worthwhile at all to pay the money to get yourself checked out?

I don't know how insurance works, but maybe it would be possible to drop the emergency coverage for one year and use that $1200 towards a non-emergency check-up? I am guessing that the probability that you will use the emergency coverage in the next year is low...and the benefit you might gain from being checked out might be relatively high.

I don't know how insurance works, but maybe it would be possible to drop the emergency coverage for one year and use that $1200 towards a non-emergency check-up? I am guessing that the probability that you will use the emergency coverage in the next year is low...and the benefit you might gain from being checked out might be relatively high.

If you get sick, or you're in an accident in the US and you don't have insurance, you wind up raising the cost for everyone else. So that's not a real option. Also some hospitals won't take you if you don't have coverage. You pretty much have to have it. They are also starting to pass laws in some states now for mandatory coverage. Dropping insurance is not an option.

When the economy stops sucking I'll go, but I just spent $400 out of pocket on glasses, so I'm kinda broke right now.

Should I be glad that I'm still living with my parents...?

meh.

I have all the sae symptoms, Ame. It sucks, and apparently my mother thinks it's normal. I don't think being in so much pain you can't move, then once the pain does let up (even a little) having to make a very fast (and dizzy) rush to the medicine cabinet for Tylenol and then nearly collapsing again in pain is supposed to be normal.

Shit. You Americans need the universal health care already enjoyed by many countries around the world. We've had it here in Canada for a very long time, and it's proven to be sustainable and beneficial. Oh, we get the brainless oafs who claim the American medicare system is better; faster treatments with more modern medicine, but they fail to recognize it's only better for the vast minority who can actually afford it. It actually works pretty good here. The only problem with it is that some of our best doctors go south of the border where they have the opportunity to make more money. Go figure.

Is it not worthwhile at all to pay the money to get yourself checked out?

Short answer: maybe.

I've had nightmare periods since I started 25 years ago (menarche at 11, full-blown regular periods at 12). There are times they've been more or less regular, times they've been more or less painful; but to be perfectly honest, I've gone to docs multiple times over the years, spent a shit ton of money, and never gotten any answers whatsoever about why they're so bad.

I've taken multiple different kinds of hormones (all of which fucked my cycle up worse somehow), vitamins and supplements (the most useful was vitamin B6), had countless invasive exams, blood tests, ultrasounds, been on all sorts of pain meds (ranging in strength from OTC NSAIDs to hardcore narcotics)... and no answers at all. All I know is that my periods are officially heavy (yeah, no fucking shit, sherlock), and I have a single small fibroid tumor (I named her Fran). The only option left to me is surgery of some kind, which I am currently unwilling to do (and couldn't afford anyway). Some docs have been sympathetic, some indifferent, some left me with the distinct impression that they thought I was little more than a hysterical whining woman.

So it's really a crapshoot, whether or not it's worth it. I can say, though, that at least I tried. I learned a few things about my body, though nothing conclusive, and I finally realized that if my periods are ever going to improve, I have to take matters into my own hands. Because nobody else will.

Fortunately they seem to have calmed down in the past few years. I have the same symptoms, but they're of much shorter duration and much lesser intensity. I don't know what changed, maybe it's just part of aging, but I'm immensely relieved. The only thing that bugs me about them now is that the bleeding time is much longer while the overall cycle is much shorter - I average about 7-10 days of bleeding in a 21-25 day cycle. You do the math. Plus I finally made the investment into a DivaCup, and couldn't be happier with it. It's the only menstrual product I've ever tried that actually works - no leaks, and it doesn't make me cramp up or get urethritis.

To all the ladies here who share the misery of nightmare menses, I totally feel your pain. Literally. (Oh yeah, and I'm starting another cycle any day now.)

So SOLIDARITY, SISTERS! :smile:

*Hugs*

Yeah, I'm seriously considering birth control as an option, because it's better than risking overdosing with painkillers and having internal bleeding from it. As if I need more internal bleeding. :/

meh.

I have all the sae symptoms, Ame. It sucks, and apparently my mother thinks it's normal. I don't think being in so much pain you can't move, then once the pain does let up (even a little) having to make a very fast (and dizzy) rush to the medicine cabinet for Tylenol and then nearly collapsing again in pain is supposed to be normal.

Yeah I don't think it's normal. :(

I would at least get it looked at if you can possibly afford to. I've read up on it...it's linked to some very not fun things.

I totally sympathize with all the rest of the sufferers here. I will preface this by saying I have never been hospitalized for anything and am generally very healthy. The worst pain in my life has been related to this. I dislocated one of my fingers once, pulled it completely out of the joint where it was bent backwards. Although that hurt, it could in no way compare to the worst of the other type.

I will say thank goodness for Aleve. They finally developed something that is halfway effective for me if I take it for two days.

The worst was when I was 16 or 17 years old. I will never forget it-- being hunched over in pain in a class at school, actually breaking out in a cold sweat. I really thought I was going to faint.

Now, at age 50, all I have is the two day headache and two days where its heavy. Sometimes, but not always, I get really nervous with the feeling I am going to jump out of my skin. I really try not to schedule anything on those days if I don't have to. Unfortunately I still have to go to work. I would rather be at home resting in a no stress environment.

The only thing I have been on that helped much (other than Aleve) was birth control hormones, but it was a disaster with other side effects. Obviously can only speak for myself, but swollen ankles and feeling like you are going to vomit every morning is not worth it.

Guest dragonfly310

I empathize with all of you that have agony during that unpleasant time. I too eat Aleve like candy for the first couple days just to make what feels like knives being inserted and constantly twisted ease off to a more tolerable level. That's not saying much. That just gets me where I can stand and walk. It still hurts like mad, but at least I can move.

And no, I don't have the priviledge of going to the doctor for the same insurance reasons as anyone else. Plus, even if I did have decent coverage, finding a doctor to actually take you seriously is also difficult. They must think you're only inventing a pain so they'll prescribe the good stuff so you can use it to get high or something. Damn, I just love how a few bad eggs can ruin it for the rest of us.

^^^^

I can't say I sympathize (perversely, it's actually a part of the syndrome I appreciate having), but I know that must be tough for you guys if you do want kids. *crosses fingers for you*

meh.

That's definitely not normal.

Wish I could send you all to my NP (my mom sees the doctor at that office and I very strongly disagree with him on some fundamental things). She does tend to over-explain things, at least to me (which may be because of the type of people she usually sees), but she's reasonable, and the place is relatively inexpensive at least for office visits.

meh.

I would at least get it looked at if you can possibly afford to. I've read up on it...it's linked to some very not fun things.

Yeah, it is most definitely NOT normal. Vendredie, I can't believe your mom would say that. I would hope she would be a bit more concerned.

meh.

Yeah, it is most definitely NOT normal. Vendredie, I can't believe your mom would say that. I would hope she would be a bit more concerned.

It's definitely not normal to wear a super absorbency tampon for 4 hours and still look like you weren't using anything at all... <_<

For some reason she won't take me to a doctor. She says it'll take several months anyway, but my period has never been regular (as in, it's never come every month, and occasionally I go 3-4 months without a period). Some periods are so bad that I pass out if I don't eat anything, some are just extremely painful that I can't do anything, and others are just so heavy I have to wear pads with the most absorbent tampon I can find. I don't think it'll suddenly correct itself after 4 years of being screwed up in the first place. I don't know if it's insurance or what (the family's insurance SUCKS!) but I'm tired of dealing with all of this. I've seriously considered skipping school for the first day or two of my period.

At least this time around I have ibuprofen instead of aspirin, which screws with my asthma.