Goodbye Jesus

Jesus Invades My 3d Software!

Looking4Answers

As a professional 3D artist, I use many tools to accomplish the tasks set before me. I am also continuously looking for software to use that can help me to complete projects more quickly and easily. I was reviewing one such application when someone pointed out the programs about screen. Take a look at it for yourself:

3dcoat_about.png

3D Coat is a pretty amazing piece of software at a decent price (considering it is a professional tool and considering the price of its competitors). However, I am sickened by this about screen. True, I don't have to access this screen ever, but it is there and now I know about it.

What do you guys think? Should atheist software developers start explaining why they are atheists in the about screens of their software?

Ugh!

BTW - The software's web site is here:

http://www.3d-coat.com/

Geez...that is REALLY poor business practice. You don't turn your marketing material into preaching material...

I say fuck it, if you can use it to do what you want then use it.

I would personally take a certain amount of sick pleasure out of making something "lewd" with the program just because. The fact that I like "lewd" things would just be an added bonus :P

I actually thought about purposefully using the software to create something like that and then posting it on their own forum ;) .

I was talking to another 3D professional (on-line) and he brought up this comment:

I wonder if he would go so far as to revoke licenses when used for images he deemed unscrupulous ...

Looks like an inferior knock off of Zbrush to me. I wouldn't care too much.

But yes, religion in a professional environment is lame. Whenever I'm on the job and religion comes up in the break room or between cubicles I ussually try to change the subject and try to convince others that religion is not a good topic to go on ( And why. It never ends well. )

Out of curiosity, do you do 3D art for video games, CGI, or just general graphic design ?

Looks like an inferior knock off of Zbrush to me. I wouldn't care too much.

It is actually a great piece of software according to the people who use it (both professionals and hobbyists). It has some fantastic tools.

Out of curiosity, do you do 3D art for video games, CGI, or just general graphic design ?

I have been creating both models and environments for real-time 3D games, training simulations and educational products for about 10 years now. But I also create book covers for novels, web site graphics, company logos and a lot more.

If it actually is good, how would you say the retopology tools are ? alot of times retopology feels clumsy in other programs.

If it actually is good, how would you say the retopology tools are ? alot of times retopology feels clumsy in other programs.

Not to take this thread further off course ;) , but the retopology tools are actually quite good. There are videos on the web site demonstrating them. Things are better in the current alpha/beta of the software. I am a beta tester for other 3D modeling software (NDA keeps me from revealing which one publicly) and how the retopo tools work in 3D Coat has come up a few times by a few of the other beta testers.

In any case, feel free to PM me about this kind of stuff if you like ;) .

Personally, I'd be tempted to load this into my favourite hex editor and make a few changes to that text. As long as you keep the same number of characters for the changed words intact with ascii code, it will run fine. For example, change "Jesus Christ" to "Masturbating." Yes, the space counts as a character, and both add up to 12 characters. Also, "So I ask you not to use this program for such purposes" easily changes to "I beg of you please use this program for such purposes", as both contain the exact same number of characters. I think you get the idea. Get creative; have fun!