Goodbye Jesus

Ex-ywam Nonbelievers Facebook Group

elbuho

Hi there!

I am an ex ywamer!! Now I am an ex-xtian too. Yeah I would love to hear stories from other people. That organisation has serious leadership problems, blah. :Hmm:

Did you ever encounter the "moral government theology" that I read was rampant in the leadership? It has been about 20 years since I read a book about it, but it seemed to be a "fix-yourself because the blood of Jesus doesn't remove your responsibility for sin" sort of thing. I had one friend who was going to join YWAM stop after reading the book. Other friends that had been a part of YWAM had never encountered it, or didn't know what it was.

What the fuck was up with YWAM? I was constantly hearing about it from others but I never got the specifics so I never had a coherent picture. Something about taking middle class white bread youth and putting them in a house in the ghetto or something? Some people thought it was awesome, others seemed to think something shady was going on, and nobody would ever tell me shit. I swear, in Christian circles I was always the last to know. I was just thinking about that today, in fact... I was always the last to know, if some shit was going down.

I was never in YWAM, but I was a huge fan. Loved going to the youth rallies.

Just read that article. Here we go again. "they were not true Christians". I guess it's true, there is no such thing as a true Christian because someone somewhere is always going to think you aren't a true one.

Hi Kathlene! Please join us on the Facebook group!

I only recently read about the moral government controversy, I never noticed anything specific about it while I was in YWAM. What I did notice was that various speakers and leaders came to our base, one claiming that any problems we were facing was the result of spiritual warfare, demonic influence, etc., while the week after, the next speaker claimed it was all about unconfessed sin, issues from the past, brokenness, etc.. As the audio guy in charge of taping all the speakers, I got to hear all of them and it was an eye-opener to hear these two opposing theories being put forward alternately, week after week.

In the area of social engagement there were also contradictions - with its roots in the Jesus Movement era, YWAM has a natural tendency towards aspects of liberation theology, while Christian Reconstructionism and Dominionism, which are more right-wing in their attitude to the poor, were growing in popularity and influence at the time I left (1989).

• 5 months later...
Guest Freedomtarian

My friend went on a YWAM missions trip and so did my cousin. Lucky for her, my cousin had to be sent home due to her health early so she did not get brainwashed unlike my friend who was not so lucky. I already made a thread about their testimony's, my cousin shared many horror stories that my friend also undoubtedly went through as well. Yet he never said a negative word about the group. I noticed that he was brainwashed and it was really scary the first few weeks of his return.

• 1 year later...

I did a YWAM DTS (dicipleship training school) with an outreach in Africa. I can't say the experience brainwashed me, but during the lecture phase, I could feel the possibility of brainwashing.

I never heard of YWAM before now.

:eek: