Goodbye Jesus

An Other Christian Forum

Guest kcdad

Some of you are familiar with Matt and his forum...

Mod 16 keeps giving me infractions and suspending me for telling posters they don't know what they are talking about,

that they are not free to express any opinion, only their own... and stuff like that.

The latest is about Matt 6:25-34 Do not worry... lilies of the field, etal.

I got some "true believer" telling me about "this verse somewhere, I can't recall where..." and I replied,

if you are not familiar with the Sermon on the Mount you have no right to speak for Jesus about ANYTHING!

And that was considered condescending, insulting and demeaning...

I love that avatar that says "Jesus called and wants his religion back"!!!!!!!!

...reminds me of Lenny Bruce's comment: Everyday people are straying from the church and finding God.

You certainly can't find him in the churches.

Interesting. I see you list Ground of Being in your Any Gods? section. You might want to check out this forum for an interesting mix of theists, some Christian, some not, and non-theists. http://www.doxa.ws/forum/index.php

Interesting. I see you list Ground of Being in your Any Gods? section. You might want to check out this forum for an interesting mix of theists, some Christian, some not, and non-theists. http://www.doxa.ws/forum/index.php

Thanks I will.

I am particularly fond of a Jewish professor friend who is researching the non-doxic religions... He identifies himself as a Jewish Atheist and claims that Judaism is really a non-doxic religion in that what you believe is irrelevant to the practice of the faith. To be a kosher Jew, one must live "as if" there were a god, not believe there is one.

I am particularly fond of a Jewish professor friend who is researching the non-doxic religions... He identifies himself as a Jewish Atheist and claims that Judaism is really a non-doxic religion in that what you believe is irrelevant to the practice of the faith. To be a kosher Jew, one must live "as if" there were a god, not believe there is one.

That sounds about right. Most Christians tend to think of Judaism as pre-Christ Christianity, but they couldn't be farther from the truth.

That sounds about right. Most Christians tend to think of Judaism as pre-Christ Christianity, but they couldn't be farther from the truth.

Facsinating. I'm a non-theistic Christian. Do you have any other, similar links for Atheistic-Christians (or whatever label is appropriate).

Mod 16 keeps giving me infractions and suspending me for telling posters they don't know what they are talking about,

that they are not free to express any opinion, only their own... and stuff like that.

I got some "true believer" telling me about "this verse somewhere, I can't recall where..." and I replied,

if you are not familiar with the Sermon on the Mount you have no right to speak for Jesus about ANYTHING!

...reminds me of Lenny Bruce's comment: Everyday people are straying from the church and finding God.

Where's this forum?

As far as the guy you ridiculed, I mean if he can't remember what verse or which book it was in, for goodness sake, just do a Google search for it! Let's see what happens if I only type "lilies of the field jesus". Oh look! Matthew 6:28. You know sometimes flippancy is called for. I mean the guy obviously has Internet access. How hard was that to look up?

I'll never forget some years back at a job I was working where in some casual conversation about Christianity I mentioned something in passing about Jesus being a Jew. This woman got irate! She challenged me, "Are you trying to tell me my God is a Jew?!?" My jaw dropped. I said, "They hung a sign on his cross saying 'King of the Jews'; his followers called him 'Rabbi'...". My point in that is like how you say, if you know nothing about your religion than how do you presume to say anything about what it teaches? Silly. I'd like to go look at that site.

Sorry, man. You raised my interest, and I thought I would check out the board and see if it was a place for rational thought.

I have just done a search on "homosexuality" on that forum, and I found a bunch of Christians condemning it. It's the old argument: being gay is all right as long you don't have gay sex. One guy even says that gays want to feel better about themselves and thus make up lies about how straights want gay sex. And yet, the forum claims to be "Christian thought in the 21st century." Are the members of the forum aware that some forward-thinking Christian groups don't condemn gays? Sounds to me like the forum is stuck in earlier centuries.

There may be excellent, rational discussions on other subjects, but I don't have to look further to see that this is another place where I would not be welcome. Very disappointing. :(

I'll never forget some years back at a job I was working where in some casual conversation about Christianity I mentioned something in passing about Jesus being a Jew. This woman got irate! She challenged me, "Are you trying to tell me my God is a Jew?!?" My jaw dropped. I said, "They hung a sign on his cross saying 'King of the Jews'; his followers called him 'Rabbi'...". My point in that is like how you say, if you know nothing about your religion than how do you presume to say anything about what it teaches? Silly. I'd like to go look at that site.

I know an Italian who was smacked so hard by his mother that he almost fell over--and all because he said Jesus was a Jew.

Sorry, man. You raised my interest, and I thought I would check out the board and see if it was a place for rational thought.

I have just done a search on "homosexuality" on that forum, and I found a bunch of Christians condemning it. It's the old argument: being gay is all right as long you don't have gay sex. One guy even says that gays want to feel better about themselves and thus make up lies about how straights want gay sex. And yet, the forum claims to be "Christian thought in the 21st century." Are the members of the forum aware that some forward-thinking Christian groups don't condemn gays? Sounds to me like the forum is stuck in earlier centuries.

There may be excellent, rational discussions on other subjects, but I don't have to look further to see that this is another place where I would not be welcome. Very disappointing. :(

I've seen people from all walks of life join in the discussion there. I haven't seen any discussion of homosexuality at least not initiated by the regulars, but I'm pretty sure the site owner doesn't have any problem with it. He's so liberal in his Christianity that some have asked him why he doesn't just declare himself some sort of generic theist.

If the threads you are referring to are Overrated sex, and Sins that churches and Christians committing, they were started by a guy who clearly had no idea he wasn't walking into a fundy board, and had whipped up his own version of fundamentalism. We tried to engage him, but he left because we wouldn't bow to his ideas.

I couldn't imagine such a thing said about a fine upstanding pedant such as yourself.

mwc

Where's this forum?

As far as the guy you ridiculed, I mean if he can't remember what verse or which book it was in, for goodness sake, just do a Google search for it! Let's see what happens if I only type "lilies of the field jesus". Oh look! Matthew 6:28. You know sometimes flippancy is called for. I mean the guy obviously has Internet access. How hard was that to look up?

C.A.R.M. http://www.christiandiscussionforums.org/v/index.php

They are nutty bastards there

I couldn't imagine such a thing said about a fine upstanding pedant such as yourself.

mwc

I shouldn't call myself pedantic, except in the use of language... as to the "fine" and "upstanding"... __ughing_boy_smilie.doc