Goodbye Jesus

Okay So I Did Something

Purple

Hello

Yeah so, anyway, I have a facebook. Apparently I signed up for it like 2 years ago and forgot, but I got an email from them for something and I was all "I have a Facebook? dang!" So I go and look at it, and there is a group, like they have there, for my high school, I sign up for it and got a few friend requests because of it. This guy swears he remembers me, I have NO idea who he is, but ok. So, a few people I know locally also add me, and I start checking this thing like here and there, no big whoop.

So, this guy, from my high school signs up for this "Let's get 1 Million Men to say tehy are Against Abortion". When you sign up to be a "fan" of something there si a little notice. He wasn't sending this to me so I ignore it, mostly, just putting a link to a youtube vid where people are asked "If it was Made Illegal what Should the punishment Be?" I didn't post it as a comment to his blurb, I just posted it to my Facebook.The vid is posted here somewhere. So today, he has become a fan of Greg Laurie, ewwwwwwwwwwww I'm in the same city as the infamous Harvest Church, and I really have a problem with Mr. Laurie, I did when I was a xian even. I know, and knew people who were members of the church, they are all either assholes, or have been deeply wounded by Harvest, AND, I'm sorry I have a very hard time with someone calling themselves a "Pastor" but really being a writer and evangelist, AND building a church in one of the poorer counties in California, but deciding to live in what I think is THE wealthiest, if not it's in the top 3. He lives in New Port Beach, one of the most expensive real estate markets in CA.

These ultra rich, ultra white assholes who want to pastor churches in poor brown neighborhoods, but don't want to actaully live there make me sick. SO I sent the fellow alumni an email to his facebook, a private one, not on his wall. I said...

""""I hope I'm not being a jerk, but are you really comfortable with an evangelist, that pretends to be a Pastor of a church in a city he is apparently too good to live in? Seriously, is he too rich to live in the Inland Empire, or too white? Couldn't let his kids be schooled in a poor county, but wants to lead the people of the same area? """"

I havn't heard back from him. I just got irratated, but now wonder if I'm just being a jerk and should have let it go.

but now wonder if I'm just being a jerk and should have let it go.

Rarely, but sometimes, Purple... being a jerk is the way to go.

but now wonder if I'm just being a jerk and should have let it go.

Rarely, but sometimes, Purple... being a jerk is the way to go.

You're probably right, but bleh, all I can think is he'l think I'm some haethen scum that's all bitter. I'm not bitter I just think Greg laurie is a ho bagel.

Hello

Yeah so, anyway, I have a facebook. Apparently I signed up for it like 2 years ago and forgot, but I got an email from them for something and I was all "I have a Facebook? dang!" So I go and look at it, and there is a group, like they have there, for my high school, I sign up for it and got a few friend requests because of it. This guy swears he remembers me, I have NO idea who he is, but ok. So, a few people I know locally also add me, and I start checking this thing like here and there, no big whoop.

So, this guy, from my high school signs up for this "Let's get 1 Million Men to say tehy are Against Abortion". When you sign up to be a "fan" of something there si a little notice. He wasn't sending this to me so I ignore it, mostly, just putting a link to a youtube vid where people are asked "If it was Made Illegal what Should the punishment Be?" I didn't post it as a comment to his blurb, I just posted it to my Facebook.The vid is posted here somewhere. So today, he has become a fan of Greg Laurie, ewwwwwwwwwwww I'm in the same city as the infamous Harvest Church, and I really have a problem with Mr. Laurie, I did when I was a xian even. I know, and knew people who were members of the church, they are all either assholes, or have been deeply wounded by Harvest, AND, I'm sorry I have a very hard time with someone calling themselves a "Pastor" but really being a writer and evangelist, AND building a church in one of the poorer counties in California, but deciding to live in what I think is THE wealthiest, if not it's in the top 3. He lives in New Port Beach, one of the most expensive real estate markets in CA.

These ultra rich, ultra white assholes who want to pastor churches in poor brown neighborhoods, but don't want to actaully live there make me sick. SO I sent the fellow alumni an email to his facebook, a private one, not on his wall. I said...

""""I hope I'm not being a jerk, but are you really comfortable with an evangelist, that pretends to be a Pastor of a church in a city he is apparently too good to live in? Seriously, is he too rich to live in the Inland Empire, or too white? Couldn't let his kids be schooled in a poor county, but wants to lead the people of the same area? """"

I havn't heard back from him. I just got irratated, but now wonder if I'm just being a jerk and should have let it go.

I don't understand your beef with Laurie.. is it that he is rich? Uneducated? Got a pretty wife?

I regrettably don't know anything about him other than what is wikipedia or his personal website.

I was also invited to be part of a group for my Christian high school class, and I decided not even to become involved.

I was also invited to be part of a group for my Christian high school class, and I decided not even to become involved.

My High School wasn't a christian one.

My beef with Laurie started while I was a xian, he pastors, and I use the word "pastors" loosely, a HUGE church, Harvest. Because he doesn't actaully pastor when a person has any kind of a problem they are encouraged to take it to their small group leader, similar to Saddle Back, Rick Warren's church. These "leaders" are lay people, who generally have no idea what they are doing, people get hurt. My beef is not just that he's rich, fine be rich, but I really believe if you cannot live in an area, you shouldn't pastor there. Especially given the relationship with Orange County and Riverside. People in Orange County tend to have a snobby attitude towards people here, they think of us as second class citizens to the tune of when a 16 year old girl from Riverside went to a party in Orange county and then was raped, the accussed are reported as saying "she was just some girl from Riverside" People here tend to refer to anything or anyone in Orange as being on the other side of the Orange curtain. There is a lot of animosity and snobbery between the 2 counties. So, Laurie sets up his church here, but really does not become a part of the community. He lives in New Port Beach, one of the richest, and whitest cities in Southern California.

Sounds like he's thinking that Riverside is the "mission field"...

Sounds like he's thinking that Riverside is the "mission field"...

Don't missionaries actaully go "into" the field? No, I think he wanted a big ole church complex just like Warren's, but Warren was already in the OC, so Laurie went one county over to The Valley of the Dirt people. Unlike an actaully missionary that goes and lives where they are preaching. Just smacks of elitism and racism to me.

Some missionaries don't. Regardless, a lot of missionaries live in far better conditions than the natives they're "teaching".

Not always, but common.

I'm from Los Angeles County. Purple speaks the truth. Riverside is regarded as a polluted, dangerous, culturally backwards shit-hole with little redeeming value by most Southern Californians that are closer to the ocean than to Arizona/Nevada. Newport Beach on the other hand is right up there with Beverly Hills. In fact, I'm guessing that that stupid-ass show "The OC" with all the rich kids takes place there, as well as that movie with Jack Black and Tom Hank's son where his wealthy well-connected dad pulls a few strings and gets him into Stanford like magic.

It would be like someone who lives in a very well appointed apartment in Upper Manhattan who pastors a church across the bridge in a shitty, crime-ridden, burnt out New Jersey suburb, and who drives back to Manhattan every night because he feels he's entitled by God to live in the lap of luxury away from the riff raff.