Goodbye Jesus

The Thinking Organ

RubyHypatia

Can someone tell me which organ the ancient Hebrews believed we do our thinking with, and the Bible verse(s)? For some reason I'm thinking the kidneys, which seems quite silly. I could understand the heart more as its beat can spead up by thinking certain thoughts. How about the ancient Egyptians? We know they thought the brain didn't do the thinking because they discarded it upon mumification.

I believe the Hebrew thought the thinking is done with the heart as that is where the 'truth' comes from, which is why the Bible teaches one should tame the tongue, according to the Bible. All references are from the Modern King James Version.

And Jehovah saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. (Gen 6:5)

And Jehovah smelled a sweet odor. And Jehovah said in His heart, I will never again curse the ground for man's sake, because the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth. And I will not again smite every living thing as I have done. (Gen 8:21)

When people speak from their hearts, they are speaking what they believe to be true. This is why circumcision is done. It demonstrates not just a cutting of the foreskin, but a 'peeling away' of the heart, to think anew.

For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that outwardly in flesh; but he is a Jew who is one inwardly, and circumcision is of the heart; in spirit and not in letter; whose praise is not from men, but from God. (Rom 2:28-29)

When the KJV mentions, "reins," as in Psalm 7:9, the word means, "kidneys." Apparently, the ancient Hebrews believed the kidneys contributed to the thought process. This is covered up in the newer Biblical translations.

Creationists use their heart to think with, which explains why they come out with such garbage. They should try using their brains, assuming they have one.

Well, on some nights I think with my *COUGH COUGH* instead of my head. :wicked: *AHEM* 'scuse me, must be comin' down with something.

Well, on some nights I think with my head instead of my *COUGH COUGH*. :wicked: *AHEM* 'scuse me, must be comin' down with something.

You seem to have been confused. Don't worry, I took the liberty of fixing that for you. ;)

IIRC, they thought that the mind was spread out all over the body, with different organs in charge of different thoughts. The only ones I can remember now are that anger lived in the spleen (hence "gall" coming to mean anger) and that compassion lived in the intestines. There are verses in the Old Testament which talk about God blessing people with his bowels & kidneys (eww), but you have to read really old versions like the original KJV to see it.

I know the Ancient Egyptians thought the thinking organ was the heart. I don't know about the Hebrews.

Thinking organ? Berkley Breathed answered that a while back:

outland_full.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some people who have never had to bother with thinking organs:

Morons.jpg

A creationist points to his thinking organ:

Crawler.jpg

Reed Richards and crew are going to Europe? Damn, I'll have to see that.

Reed Richards and crew are going to Europe? Damn, I'll have to see that.

I wonder if they know Ben Grimm is Jewish.