Goodbye Jesus

Billboards

Brought None

Driving to the store today there is a new billboard up.

On it in bold black font was "THE CHOICE IS YOURS..." and underneath it was "Heaven" in nice glowy fuzzy cloudy goodness and "HELL" written in fire.

I really need to get a photo of the beauty. And to think the money spent on such a big ass ad could help feed the homeless.

They'd rather "save" them than feed them, as that might involve having to deal with icky people. The same attitude as putting a "Free Tibet" bumper sticker on a car and thinking that has actually helped the Tibetans.

Yeah go figure. It's just so sadistic. There are so much better messages to put up on billboard, no they have to use the old fear card to sell their trademarked truth.

To me that's emotional terrorism.

About the money, think of all the good that could be done if all the tithes and money given to religious causes actually went to feeding and educating the masses.

Call the billboard company and complain like the xians did against the atheist ads. Tell the company that the sign frightens you and you think it is emotional terrorism.

mwc

Ugh.. Reminds me of a church sign I saw many years ago:Hey Macho dead man! Without Jesus your soul will burn in hell!

Those things are rampant around here. I saw one the other day that was at least 30'x30' in full color.

And we don't have anything to counter with. A billboard that says "when you die, you're dead" doesn't carry quite the same impact.

And we don't have anything to counter with. A billboard that says "when you die, you're dead" doesn't carry quite the same impact.

There has to be a clever way on a billboard to inform people that there is no evidence for hell. I think if I were to pay for an ad, I'd want something more convincing and thought provoking than the ones put up during Christmas. Of course Christians would complain, but hey, it would draw more attention to the message.

• 4 weeks later...

Got a photo of that billboard. Sorry for the bad quality, it's a major traffic area so it's hard to get a close clean shot.

gallery_4268_113_30276.jpg

That reminds me of an article I was reading awhile ago by some xtain missionary to a third world country explaining why the gave religious instruction before food: "Well, you see, spiritual hunger is more important." I wanted to beat some humanity into that person.

How about this? (How do you get a pic in here without the damn resizing? Yours came through fine and mine you have to click on to see... )

choice.jpg

That reminds me of an article I was reading awhile ago by some xtain missionary to a third world country explaining why the gave religious instruction before food: "Well, you see, spiritual hunger is more important." I wanted to beat some humanity into that person.

That's why I think religion makes people morally corrupt. Because now we have Pascal's wager working against them. That's an example on: if they are wrong, they have lost nothing, but they left a truckload of people starving because they rather wanted to feed the Bibles. It's very simple, first fulfill the duty of being a human, then the religious needs second.

Guest danny64

dont have many billboards in my small town bible belt area. but lots of church signs with wonderful little nuggets of wisdom.

There’s the threatening ones…

Hell! . . . I’d forgotten about that!

Famous last words: I’ll get right with God later

Just when you thought it was safe to ignore God . . .

Hell! I thought I’d gotten away with it!

Jesus: All roads lead to tragedy – except one

The ones that demean humans…

God is unfeeling? Ha! Alongside him we’re as cold as stones

You can fool yourself. You can never fool God

God makes it, we mess it

The sexy jesus ones..

Sex – a gift from God

God is warm

Oh God Yes!

Jesus: stripped, abused, assaulted, violated . . . for you

The really logical ones…

Jesus: Gateway to the supernatural

If it doesn’t lead to Jesus, it doesn’t lead to God

Uninspired by Jesus? Bet you’ve never met him!

All suffering can be traced back to people disobeying God

And a few that I decided to make up..

Try Jesus…the new and improved Horus

Go to church…or go to Hell

Go Baptist…cause queer bashing never felt so good

So let me get this straight? It's offensive for atheists to put up a sign that praises Darwin but it's perfectly ok for xtians to put up signs that approve of torturing half of the planet?

I way over quote Ingersoll, but if I had a billion dollars, I'd put up a lot of billboards in Alabama(especially the major cities) that said: If there is a God that would damn his children forever, I would rather go to Hell than go to Heaven, and keep the society of such an infamous tyrant.

I just wonder if you could fit all of that onto a billboard.

I way over quote Ingersoll, but if I had a billion dollars, I'd put up a lot of billboards in Alabama(especially the major cities) that said: If there is a God that would damn his children forever, I would rather go to Hell than go to Heaven, and keep the society of such an infamous tyrant.

I just wonder if you could fit all of that onto a billboard.

Yeah that's probably too much to read as you're driving down the highway. Too bad though. I like the quote. Maybe there's some way of saying it in fewer words.