Goodbye Jesus

How Did God Create The Universe In Six Days?

PandaPirate

If God created the world in six days how did he measure a day? He didn't create OUR SOLAR SYSTEM first so how would you measure a day? Besides, a day can be measured differently depending on which Solar System you're in.

Or consider this: we live on a planet, there is always a "day" or a "night" somewhere on Earth. Currently we have day where I live, but there's night on the other side. So God must have been standing somewhere in the Holy Land, when he created the Sun, the stars, and so on. That doesn't make him very big, does it?

The first "god" did was to create the standard 24-hour clock. He is the watchmaker after all.

mwc

If God created the world in six days how did he measure a day? He didn't create OUR SOLAR SYSTEM first so how would you measure a day? Besides, a day can be measured differently depending on which Solar System you're in.

A day can be measured differently depending on what planet you're on. God, as everyone knows, lives on the planet Kolob, near the star Betelgeuse in the constellation Orion. So, understanding that time is measured differently on God's home planet, the pieces all come together neatly. So saith the Book of Abraham, in the Pearl of Great price found by the prophet Joseph Smith of the Mormon religion. Who can argue with gold tablets found in upstate New York by an angel? :)

Didn't ole Joe get some divine advice from a white salamander, or am I thinking of another fairy tale? :P

Guest TheTruthHurts
Or consider this: we live on a planet, there is always a "day" or a "night" somewhere on Earth. Currently we have day where I live, but there's night on the other side. So God must have been standing somewhere in the Holy Land, when he created the Sun, the stars, and so on. That doesn't make him very big, does it?

Reminds me of a Steven Wright joke: Picture the sunset from the sun's point of view.

A day can be measured differently depending on what planet you're on. God, as everyone knows, lives on the planet Kolob, near the star Betelgeuse in the constellation Orion. So, understanding that time is measured differently on God's home planet, the pieces all come together neatly. So saith the Book of Abraham, in the Pearl of Great price found by the prophet Joseph Smith of the Mormon religion. Who can argue with gold tablets found in upstate New York by an angel? :)

I have friends, well pretty ex-friends now since they have disowned me, who firmly believe that Heaven is in the Bay Nebula because it's "very bright"

Well, some might say that he had the days of the week already set up, and that he just set everything up to go along with it, hence he didn't need the sun and moon and celestial movement to determine the days. They were set in motion according to what time god had already established it was.

On the other hand, if god is all powerful, why did it take 6 days to make the universe, and not... 6 seconds?

Or why did it "take" at all? Why not just... pop! There it is. God thought, and it was.

Well... if by a day, you meant the coming of light and the then darkness and then light again.... it could be almost anything. (including the passing of a very dark cloud)

I always kinda liked the idea of God speaking everything into existence (metaphorically speaking... "I name it, therefor it is") The sound of God's "voice" of course is a a big bang!

Well, the Devil she makes sweet candy

Took six days and night to dream

On the seventh day she rested

Woke up early and made ice cream

:lmao:

Why did it take six days?

Wow, I've actually never even thought of that before as a response. Why would God need to do things in any order at all? Let alone need to take a nap afterward? If it were meant as an actually accounting of the act of creation it would be better to read as, "In the beginning God spoke and all things came into being; the moon and the stars, the sun and the animals, fishes and plants, the sky and man that walks on the ground." That's more believable than some sort of 6 day labor record. Maybe God was bound to some sort of laws outside himself? Maybe some sort of celestial labor laws; no more than 8 hours a day, no more than 6 days a week?:)

Maybe God was bound to some sort of laws outside himself? Maybe some sort of celestial labor laws; no more than 8 hours a day, no more than 6 days a week?:)

Yep. Union rules. Then he got outsourced.

mwc

Wow, I've actually never even thought of that before as a response. Why would God need to do things in any order at all? Let alone need to take a nap afterward?
I asked my dad once why God needed to take a rest on the seventh day if he was all-powerful. His response was that God didn't rest for him but God rested for our benefit. I fail to see how that explains things as xtians never explain what benefit we get out of God's resting. I don't see how using the Sabbath counts as an answer since even most xtians don't make a big deal out of resting on Saturday anymore.

For some reason it doubled posted. Sorry about that.

Wow, I've actually never even thought of that before as a response. Why would God need to do things in any order at all? Let alone need to take a nap afterward?
I asked my dad once why God needed to take a rest on the seventh day if he was all-powerful. His response was that God didn't rest for him but God rested for our benefit. I fail to see how that explains things as xtians never explain what benefit we get out of God's resting. I don't see how using the Sabbath counts as an answer since even most xtians don't make a big deal out of resting on Saturday anymore.

Rest can also mean stop activity... if someone is gardening and rests from that activity, it only means they stopped gardening.

It doesn't necessary imply that they are taking a nap.

So the Genesis creation story can be seen as a deistic explanation of creation... God created and then he stopped. The rest of what we see around us is the ongoing results of the mechanism set in place at creation.

Rest can also mean stop activity... if someone is gardening and rests from that activity, it only means they stopped gardening.

So the Genesis creation story can be seen as a deistic explanation of creation... God created and then he stopped. The rest of what we see around us is the ongoing results of the mechanism set in place at creation.

That would imply that the "stop day" is the time we live in right now. Why else would it say he rested on the 7th day, it either means that he started creating and working again on the 8th day (meaning rest as a temporary stop, i.e. sitting back in the chair doing nothing) or that he continued to "rest" after the 7th day, which would fit into your interpretation, but would make you wonder why it's so specific about "on the 7th day," instead of saying and from the 7th day he didn't work anymore. You might be right, but I think that part of the story was only to give a "divine" reason to the sabbath. (But you knew that already.)

That would imply that the "stop day" is the time we live in right now. Why else would it say he rested on the 7th day, it either means that he started creating and working again on the 8th day (meaning rest as a temporary stop, i.e. sitting back in the chair doing nothing) or that he continued to "rest" after the 7th day, which would fit into your interpretation, but would make you wonder why it's so specific about "on the 7th day," instead of saying and from the 7th day he didn't work anymore. You might be right, but I think that part of the story was only to give a "divine" reason to the sabbath. (But you knew that already.)

I think you understand the "days" are metaphorical... so the number of days are irrelevant. If one rests from an activity... why presume that the person is going to restart that activity at any given point in time? I think it is simply, in the story, that he did something and then he stopped doing something. There is no implication that I can infer... (implication to be inferred... I like that) that indicates God went back to work... it seems that was left for the metaphorical Adam (MANKIND) and Eve (LIVING or BREATHING CREATURE) to carry on that work of creating... in the case of humans or mortals... RE-CREATING! Get it? Recreating? Vacationing... vacating... as in vacating the Garden of Eden.

I think you understand the "days" are metaphorical... so the number of days are irrelevant. If one rests from an activity... why presume that the person is going to restart that activity at any given point in time? I think it is simply, in the story, that he did something and then he stopped doing something. There is no implication that I can infer... (implication to be inferred... I like that) that indicates God went back to work... it seems that was left for the metaphorical Adam (MANKIND) and Eve (LIVING or BREATHING CREATURE) to carry on that work of creating... in the case of humans or mortals... RE-CREATING! Get it? Recreating? Vacationing... vacating... as in vacating the Garden of Eden.

Sure. I have no problem with that. It actually fits more into Deism, a God who created the Universe, and then let it run its course. However the story continues... so God in the Bible didn't stop interfering with human affairs. He didn't continue to "rest". And seeing the plethora of new species coming out after the flood, God must have kept on creating species. But of course, that only applies if someone takes these stories seriously. :)

Sure. I have no problem with that. It actually fits more into Deism, a God who created the Universe, and then let it run its course. However the story continues... so God in the Bible didn't stop interfering with human affairs. He didn't continue to "rest". And seeing the plethora of new species coming out after the flood, God must have kept on creating species. But of course, that only applies if someone takes these stories seriously. :)

I think they should be taken seriously... not as accurate historical or scientific accounts, but as 3000 year old explanations of the world as they understood it.

If you take the story metaphorically... Let me emphasize he "rested" from creation. He set the mechanism up and let it run itself... including the mechanisms of natural selection (and gene mutation... ). He stopped initiating creation. (That is why miracles are considered miracles, if you believe that sort of thing... because they are OUTSIDE of of the initial act of creation. )

Even this story is a human explanation of events... myths of creation. Everything that follows is based on the same world view, however, it is still a human explanation. God never says anything in The Bible.. people say they heard God speak. Well, people say that today, and we normally say they are nuts. But when they say God spoke to them it means something different. One implies words were spoken, the other that a message was received...

There has to be an understanding of the way language has always been used, and that is to symbolize life experiences. People today, but especially people in less developed societies use language to paint pictures, to express emotions, to transmit ideas... when we say "I hear you, man", or "I feel your pain", or "I can get behind that"... we are not being literal.. we are being picturesque.

Look, here is an example:

Hear ye the word of the Lord, my people. The United States economy is going to have a total collapse if people do not repent of their addiction to debt... thus sayeth the Lord.

Now you and I both know God didn't say it, but we both know that this is an absolute truth... with a capital T as if it had come from God himself... itself... the selfless... whatever. THAT is what the prophets meant... that is what Moses meant... that is what ALL prophets ALWAYS mean.

Apparently if ones uses fire bricks and tar mortar, a tower two miles high could be built.

Furthermore, I heard an intriguing idea from my mentally-accelerated cousin. He believes (maybe?) that there have been 5 extinction level events that have happened before, like the meteorite that landed at Ixchalub that likely wiped out the dinosaurs. These events basically signified the end of a "day" in the creation story. By this logic, we are still living the sixth day. When we go extinct, God may or may not surely take his rest.

Apparently if ones uses fire bricks and tar mortar, a tower two miles high could be built.

Furthermore, I heard an intriguing idea from my mentally-accelerated cousin. He believes (maybe?) that there have been 5 extinction level events that have happened before, like the meteorite that landed at Ixchalub that likely wiped out the dinosaurs. These events basically signified the end of a "day" in the creation story. By this logic, we are still living the sixth day. When we go extinct, God may or may not surely take his rest.

Did you ever watch Michael Jordan play basketball.. He can jump a mile into the air. It is called hyperbole.

A really quick answer (that doesn't take into account other societies) is that they didn't have days off. By saying that there was a day of rest (since "god" rested) this allowed them one day off per week. So "god" didn't need the day off but he did it so that "we" could have at least one day each week off.

mwc