Goodbye Jesus

Much More Cynical Now

ogilvy

I don't know if you've heard about the bushfires in Australia right now. At 5.00 am this morning, the town I used to live in many years ago was destsroyed by fire, including at least 30 people trapped in their homes or their cars trying to escape when the fire without warning spreaad from another area and hurtled through the town. They had like 5 minutes to escape. Most of the houses and buildings in the small town are gone, and the fire is still burning, as in many other towns throughout the state, and other states of Australia. I cannot conceive of how anyone could believe in a loving God.

Hi Pippa Wonders,

I am an Aussie too and I am horrified by all the fires and deaths going on. I remember years ago the fires we had here in the ACT, it was absolutely terrifying, especially seeing the footage on the tv. It was a giant ball of fury devestating anything in it's path. Thats the scary bit of nature. It is not in our control at all. The beast of fire cannot be tamed. Can you imagine having to fight those fires in the scorching heat that we are experiencing too? Our nation will definately be mourning over this horrible season of summer. There have been lots of deaths in Adelaide too from heatstroke. It's all so unbearable, and truly tragic.

Yeah. Those fires are something else. We get brush fires here in SoCal all the time. My dad was a fire fighter so I remember him going off for sometimes days at a time. I've been just yards (meters for the odd speaking rest of the world ;) ) from some intense fires. I've seen how fast some of these things can burn and I've been told by my dad how much faster they can really go. I'm still surprised, and saddened, that the deaths have been so great down there considering how we rarely suffer any (or few) losses in our fires.

I haven't seen anything today but if they haven't gotten things under control I sure hope they do soon.

mwc

I totally feel for all the Aussies. I live in a humid and dank swamp in the humid and dank southern part of the US, and even my home and neighborhood was threatened by an out-of-control fire. Last summer there were like 4 fires burning at the same time, 3 caused by lightning and the other caused by faulty tree cutting equipment... and farmers (my area is primarily swamp and farmland) were BURNING THEIR FIELDS. Some of the smoke plumes were visible from my house... and even if they weren't you could still smell them.

It's really tragic that so many people have died.

So sad! Sincere condolences to all there in Australia, and here's hoping the rains soon put a stop to the terrible fires :(

I'm in Melbourne. it was 47 C (117 F) in the shade on Saturday! and I'd heard on the radio some areas had 100 Kmh winds!

I was supposed to meet a friend in Seymour Saturday night, but I got out as far as Yarra Glen and could see smoke plumes from 4 - 5 fires. Gave up then and turned around. There were Police road blocks all over the place.

A close friend of mine lost her house in Narbethong, they all got out with what they could carry in the car. Shocking and really saddening.

Ive attached a Google earth kml file with four of the towns/places that were destroyed by fire marked. Change the .txt to .kml then load into google earth.

I wonder if the insurance companies will plead 'Act of god'?

Cheers

Sad Centaur

DestroyedbyFire.txt

Something that really upsets and angers me is, if there is a God, and people say how kind and loving he is, could have prevented the fires, could have not sent the strong winds on the high temperature days, could have not sent high temperature days, could have not sent the winds towards those towns where people were faced with approaching fire and 5 minutes or no time to get out. He could have not let people get burned to death in their cars and houses. What was God trying to say by doing this? Of course some would say God had not caused the fires, some fires were deliberately lit even, but if there is God, and if he loves people, why did he let them die in such a horrible way? Why did he let parents lose their children to such a cruel death? He cannot love people (if he exists). And it upsets me to think that Christians and even desparate non-Christians, woould certainly have been begging God to save them and save others. But what would be the point of pleading with a God cruel enough to let it happen? Those who were saved might say God saved them, and praise God for that, but how cruel to save some and not others!

What I don't get is that everybody agrees these deaths and injuries and losses are absolutely horrific, but Christians will still continue to maintain that God is good and kind, yet he did/allowed them. To cap it all, we think its such a cruel disaster, yet if hell is real, God will burn people billions and trillions and zillions of times more eternally, yet they still say he is not cruel. I feel so cynical about God.

Like now, the heat wave is over, and people will be praying for God to send relief, as the fires are still threatening. They will thank God for ending the heat wave. But what happens now, even though its cooler? Its still windy. And no rain, despite grey clouds. Could not God be merciful and send rain, and make the wind cease like Jesus did? Why not? As if the hardship caused by the economic downfall were not enough hardship for the battling people, they are hit with this double whammy. They are not evil wicked people who deserve to be tortured by fire. None of us deserve that. However, according to the Bible, we all do deserve this. I must try not to become too bitter, especially as I myself haven't been affected by the fires. I wonder what the preachers will say about these events. I forgot to mention the sadness of animals suffering. How sad and terrible. What a fearful and dreadful God. What will it take to satisfy his fierce anger, and stay his hand?

The really sick thing is that while those who died in these fires probably only suffered for a few minutes, God would have everyone suffer in such a way for eternity. I don't even want to be conscious for an eternity! I mean, eternity? Forever? People don't really internalize what that means when they say it, but even just a few minutes of fire is cruel... ugh. It's just the most disgusting thing ever invented by human imagination.

Sorry for whats happening. I've been hearing that at least part of them were arson fires, or was it entirely arson?

Sorry for whats happening. I've been hearing that at least part of them were arson fires, or was it entirely arson?

If it's anything like what happens in other places the arsonists either start them and the wind spreads them or the fires start and the arsonists take advantage of the situation and light some of their own. I'm sure if there aren't some great brush fire investigators down there that they'll have no trouble getting any number of volunteers to come over from my area to help sort this out.

mwc