Goodbye Jesus

Just Another Deconvert

LBW

my poor daddy was drunk when I told him and he lowered his voice to a whisper and said, "Don't say that honey, listen to me, He (God) murdered his own kid, he tortured his own child, that crazy SOB will squash you like a bug".

This line entertained me more than anything has in a month!

FYI, here's the link to Cowabunga Jones' and Prysm's story:

http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?showtopic=28729

Oddbird:

You're welcome to link to your blog.

I'll second that "crazy SOB" awesomeness. Seriously, I think I could handle staying a pastor for another month or two so long as they let me preach a 3 part series called "God: That crazy SOB will squash you like a bug." I predict it would be a hit. I'd even make a clever acronym to go with it like:

"S.O.B."

S-hit I'm going to hell. Now what?

O-h the Jesus thing. Got it.

B-astard! This heaven place sucks!

By the way LBW, its an amazing coincidence (OR MAYBE IT'S A HOLY SPIRIT MIRACLE!) but Prysm and I also became Ron Paul fans and eventual Libertarians prior to our deconversion. Hah, thats just awesome.

OMG... I so want to hear the sermon "God: That crazy SOB will squash you like a bug." Please please write it and post it! That would be such a good laugh.

Heather

I see you found our story. I completely sympathize with the irrational parent hatred of the child-in-law. Rather, I should say I anticipate sympathy in the near future. My MIL is ominously suggesting that my husband talk with them... withOUT me. We expected this since we decided to out ourselves, and we're just wondering how vehement the accusations will be. They see me as the dangerous educated girl, entirely too intelligent for anyone's good. During our two-hour deconversion outing conversation with them, they kept insisting that something must have corrupted their son's mind, since he had been so faithful and never had any questions before he got married. As an awkward addendum to this she looked at me and added, "Well, you probably never had any questions before either." Right. That wasn't obvious or anything. The tremors have begun and we have yet to see if California is going to drift into the sea, never to return. I'm actually quite looking forward to this, as I figure I can either be offended or find the whole thing too surreal to take seriously. The latter sounds more entertaining. Well, I hope you and your "fat assed reprobate" husband are surviving the aftershocks.

One thing we have found helpful in dealing with hateful people is something along these lines: "It's amazing how you reject your faith in word and deed, while I have only rejected it in mind."

As a side note, don't let anyone get to you with accusations about inevitable affairs and divorce. That is completely unfounded and the evidence is quite to the contrary. Your relationship sounds solid in all areas... if you connect in mind and emotion, what would you need an affair for? Most christian marriages aren't that well balanced. My husband and I have an incredible relationship and all that christian wisdom that insists a woman can only be happy in submission is ridiculous. You might find this article useful ammunition if someone is really insistent about it: http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm

Good luck!

I'll second that "crazy SOB" awesomeness. Seriously, I think I could handle staying a pastor for another month or two so long as they let me preach a 3 part series called "God: That crazy SOB will squash you like a bug." I predict it would be a hit. I'd even make a clever acronym to go with it like:

"S.O.B."

S-hit I'm going to hell. Now what?

O-h the Jesus thing. Got it.

B-astard! This heaven place sucks!

ROTFLOL, Preach it brother!

You know, I love to discuss the bible especially now... but now nobody wants to talk about the bible with me. I think even the Mormons and JWs have marked my door or somthing cause they pass my house by now.

Really, I should have told my family sooner than I did. I guess I thought they'd be upset.....or maybe...I was just too embarrassed because I was definitely the most religious (the TRUE Christian) of the family. I still wanted to talk "bible" with them after my deconversion but now a days we actually talk about happy stuff like gardening, tv shows etc. It's like I have a life again. Mama does tell me about church, what the preacher talked about (and we giggle about it) and then the good part, after church when she and the rest of the ladies talk about what books they've read and ghosts and good tv shows. Daddy goes occasionally but usually not. He's bi-polar and I think Christianity has been so bad for this condition, when he's "down" all those hell stories seem to flood into his brain to torment him. He did tell me that as scared as he is of hell he's more afraid of "nothing" after we die. My husband said "nonexistence" was what scared him too.

I never like church myself so in that respect I didn't have to give up church. As an adult I only attended a baptist church for about 6 months....I got my "fellowshipping" (I hate that word) via the radio and then the internet (never met a more cruel, meaner bunch of people than on christian websites....the moderators had to constantly purge people's posts and threads to keep it looking nice)

Hey Prysm - Do you think the folks would read Ken Daniels deconversion story if you printed it off? Or perhaps some other minister's deconversion story?

That might help them understand how deconversion happens....if they'd read it.

"It's amazing how you reject your faith in word and deed, while I have only rejected it in mind." I like that, it's true.

LBW, its an amazing coincidence (OR MAYBE IT'S A HOLY SPIRIT MIRACLE!) but Prysm and I also became Ron Paul fans and eventual Libertarians prior to our deconversion. Hah, thats just awesome.

That's an amazing coincidence! I think my parents blame Ron Paul for leading us, "astray" (ironic since he's a professing Christian himself). She told me we were, "just another weak-willed family destroyed by politics." Whatever the hell that means! :Wendywhatever:

I see you found our story. I completely sympathize with the irrational parent hatred of the child-in-law. Rather, I should say I anticipate sympathy in the near future. My MIL is ominously suggesting that my husband talk with them... withOUT me. We expected this since we decided to out ourselves, and we're just wondering how vehement the accusations will be. They see me as the dangerous educated girl, entirely too intelligent for anyone's good. During our two-hour deconversion outing conversation with them, they kept insisting that something must have corrupted their son's mind, since he had been so faithful and never had any questions before he got married. As an awkward addendum to this she looked at me and added, "Well, you probably never had any questions before either." Right. That wasn't obvious or anything. The tremors have begun and we have yet to see if California is going to drift into the sea, never to return. I'm actually quite looking forward to this, as I figure I can either be offended or find the whole thing too surreal to take seriously. The latter sounds more entertaining. Well, I hope you and your "fat assed reprobate" husband are surviving the aftershocks.

One thing we have found helpful in dealing with hateful people is something along these lines: "It's amazing how you reject your faith in word and deed, while I have only rejected it in mind."

As a side note, don't let anyone get to you with accusations about inevitable affairs and divorce. That is completely unfounded and the evidence is quite to the contrary. Your relationship sounds solid in all areas... if you connect in mind and emotion, what would you need an affair for? Most christian marriages aren't that well balanced. My husband and I have an incredible relationship and all that christian wisdom that insists a woman can only be happy in submission is ridiculous. You might find this article useful ammunition if someone is really insistent about it: http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm

Good luck!

I'd say, "too intelligent for anyone's good" is one heck of a compliment! The, "too intelligent" people are the ones who usually seem to abandon faith in favor of reason. That should tell people something . . .

Oh, and I'm sure my husband's mom (his pastor dad died a few years ago) believes I contributed to his corruption. After all, I was the one who got him, "out of church" in the first place. She hasn't tried to discuss anything religious with us, and I'm sure it's because she knows she has no hope of winning that argument - we're both fiercely rational, and she has nary a logical bone in her body. But I commend her for her continuing to show us love in spite of what I'm sure her feelings are.

And believe me, I have no concern about my marriage. If being a Christian was the only thing keeping us from cheating on one another, we would have already had a pretty crappy relationship! No, our bond is stronger than ever. And statistically (as your article mentions), Christians are at least as likely to get divorced as us heathens, so our odds can't have gotten any worse! :) My mother also questioned whether my husband was going to start molesting children now that he had, 'no morals" . . . like I said, she's borderline insane, I never realized the extent until after this whole ordeal. I think she's probably harping on the divorce/affairs thing partially because she thinks Christianity is the only reason her and my dad are still together. And she's probably right - I can't imagine why he would have put up with her all these years unless he felt he HAD to.

LBW, how are you doing now? Anything change lately? I hope your family situation is clearing up. We're still anticipating the big confrontation, which may happen tonight. We saw his parents for lunch yesterday when they drove through town, and his mom did something pretty low. It's not my story to tell, but things do seem to get headed generally in a southern direction. Hopefully there will be some massive climactic fallout and they'll just have to learn to cope from there. This coy game-playing is disgusting to me.

Well, let us know how you are doing! I wish that I could say that I'm praying for you, because that would be some sort of action. Otherwise I can only offer sympathy. Give your husband a hug, and take care of yourself!

LBW, how are you doing now? Anything change lately? I hope your family situation is clearing up. We're still anticipating the big confrontation, which may happen tonight. We saw his parents for lunch yesterday when they drove through town, and his mom did something pretty low. It's not my story to tell, but things do seem to get headed generally in a southern direction. Hopefully there will be some massive climactic fallout and they'll just have to learn to cope from there. This coy game-playing is disgusting to me.

Well, let us know how you are doing! I wish that I could say that I'm praying for you, because that would be some sort of action. Otherwise I can only offer sympathy. Give your husband a hug, and take care of yourself!

Thanks so much for asking - things are quiet from our families, so it's mainly the emotional aftermath I'm dealing with. My parents haven't contacted us since Mom's initial barrage of belligerent e-mails. My MIL has simply amazed me by continuing to be friendly and not mentioning one word about the whole matter, even when I talked with her on the phone for about an hour this past weekend. My (until now) best friend sent me a brief note saying she hadn't forgotten me, but needed time to, "process this information" (not sure what the hell there is to process, but anyway). I asked her if she'd like to read my story, and she said she would, so I sent it. Not sure if I'll ever hear from her again or not.

Let us know what happens, if anything, with the fam tonight. You're right, the game-playing is the pits - candor, even if it's initially unpleasant, is the better option, at least for me.