Goodbye Jesus

1,000 Years From Now

Guest JohnEx

1,000 years from now do you think Christianity will still exist or will it be looked upon much the same way we look at Greco-Roman or Norse Mythology (just to name a few)?

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

If it does exist, it'll look absolutely nothing like it does now, anymore than Christianity today looks anything like it did in 1000 CE.

It's too hard to tell. Many significant political and global events happen in the course of a millennium. For all we know North Korea could invent some Neurological mind control device in the year 2279 and take over the world with it. We could all be worshiping Kim Jong sung Wong il the 17th in 3009.

But assuming nothing drastic happens, I would guess that if it does survive it will be so liberal that liberal Christians today would look like the radical religious right in their eyes. The Old testament will probably be seen as pure fictitious folklore, and Christ as a figure would be seen just the same as Buddha. The Bible will also likely be re-translated in super fluffbunny mode to remove all the bad stuff against gays, the doctrine of hell, misogyny, ect. ect. Basically it would eventually become what the older east/asian religions have become today. Pure philosophy with few, if any, people taking its supernatural elements seriously.

I think it will be around but in much different ways. Either left or right, I don't feel there will be middle of the road for anything farther in the future. I have a feeling that pacifists will die out. I also feel that more atheist religions will come to surface the more advances in technology we have. Although the world is going to end on 12 12 2012 anyway.

Liberal christianity will change big time... morontheist cults however will be just the same still. The box they lock their minds in is disgusting but timeless. The same methods that work today to keep morontheists from dealing with facts will work in a thousand years too. Now just as well as in a thousand years morontheists will "counter" facts and evidence with "da babble predicted there would be scoffers!!1!!!!", "You have been duped by saaataaan!!!!111!!!oneoneone!!!!!" et al.

Unless of course society as a whole stands up to the madness... as I see it, mainly by providing a decent education to every child and forcing all parents to grant that education to their kids - no homebrainwashing homeschooling anymore!. That way it may well be possible to make the madness go extinct slowly.

I predict 1,000 years from now the world will still be ending a la Revelation and a new breed in the style of Tim Lahay and Jerry Jenkins will start writing smut about it.

the more things change, the more the tend to stay the same as well.

Who knows? 1000 years from now, there could be aliens on Earth.

At least three things could happen...

Maybe the Christian apocalypse could occur.

Maybe we'll go extinct.

Maybe we'll make the evolutionary jump to

Or only thing could happen, things could change.

More than likely, Christianity may or may not be around. It's already been around for 2000 years.

I think the UK will be the future of what happens to Christianity. If the fundies don't kill us off by then, Christianity will become increasingly liberal. I agree that it'll probably become to be seen as being more like a philosophy than a religion and church will probably become more like a weekend past time than a brainwashing breeding ground. If fundies still exist then, I think people will treat them more as an amusing curiosity rather than acting like they're true followers of God. I think fundies might eventually accept evolution and maybe even gays but they'll still have all these rigid rules and restrictions on sex and probably still cling to some sort of slightly more sanitized version of an afterlife rewards and punishment system. Perhaps all the fundie denominations will put aside their petty doctrinal differences and unite into a single denomination because their numbers dropped so low at that point that would be the only way for them to have more than a 1000 members. The Catholic church will abolish the whole Vatican and pope system as being out-dated and Catholicism will become more like some cultural phenomenon like secular Judaism where cafeteria Catholics mainly just attend church for tradition. But whether Christianity will exist in some form by then, I think literal interpretations of the bible will go the same way that literal belief in Greek mythology has gone.

Unless of course society as a whole stands up to the madness... as I see it, mainly by providing a decent education to every child and forcing all parents to grant that education to their kids - no homebrainwashing homeschooling anymore!. That way it may well be possible to make the madness go extinct slowly.

Not sure if this is the place for debate, so I'm not trying to start one, but just want to mention that not all homeschoolers are Christians. And homeschoolers generally receive an education that is of far better quality than the public school system.

http://www.secular-homeschooling.com/001/b...meschooler.html

If I recall correctly, Zoroastrianism only lasted a couple thousand years then faded off. Christianity reflects a lot of Zoroastrianism in the way it spread and was worshiped, so I would guess that Christianity will die off just as the previous had.

If I recall correctly, Zoroastrianism only lasted a couple thousand years then faded off. Christianity reflects a lot of Zoroastrianism in the way it spread and was worshiped, so I would guess that Christianity will die off just as the previous had.

I thought I had heard that Zoroastrianism still had some followers today. It turns out there are about 90,000 adherents, 20K in Iran and 70K in India. I don't know if that counts as died off or faded off, but I found the wikipedia article interesting.

Not sure if this is the place for debate, so I'm not trying to start one, but just want to mention that not all homeschoolers are Christians. And homeschoolers generally receive an education that is of far better quality than the public school system.

http://www.secular-homeschooling.com/001/b...meschooler.html

Yup I know... and as long as public schools suck, homeschooling is better than no schooling obviously.

However, homeschooling also makes it easy for morontheists (and other reality deniers too) to brainwash their spawn so that for the rest of their pitiful lives not a single fact of life can reach them.

By "decent education" in my above-quoted text I meant decent public education. If that is established, homeschooling becomes superfluous.

Like oddbird said, there are followers of Zoroaster even today, but they are few. And they didn't spread like Christianity back then, and neither today, and it's probably part of why they are so few. My understanding is that to become a Zoroastrian, you have to be born into it. You can't really convert, or become a Zoroastrian like in Christianity.

The last Christian will die in 2876, Christ will return the following year. This was all planned in advance.

I think what the world will look like 1000 yrs from now is dependent upon what happens here in the U.S. in the next 4. If something isn't done to restore the wall between church and state and the democrats lose power after 4 yrs then the world is screwed. The evangelicals will roar back with a vengence via the GOP and the laws of the land will reflect this.

I think what the world will look like 1000 yrs from now is dependent upon what happens here in the U.S. in the next 4. If something isn't done to restore the wall between church and state and the democrats lose power after 4 yrs then the world is screwed. The evangelicals will roar back with a vengence via the GOP and the laws of the land will reflect this.

Methinks this is a bit extreme. Then again, I have never experienced hardcore evangelical fundamentalism and I have never lived in the US, so maybe I am wrong to be so...well...less sure of your thesis.

The last Christian will die in 2876, Christ will return the following year. This was all planned in advance.

HA HA

With all the scientific and technological advances that humanity is on the verge of right now, I cannot imagine how the myth of Christianity can survive even the next few hundred years. Scientists, right now, are on the verge of understanding a pre-big bang universe http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Model_Su...ng_Physics.html.

Also with computers being reduced down to the molecular level, I highly doubt that in 1000 years that humanity will even be remotely what it is today. I believe that humanity will design it's next step of evolution and integrate itself with technology.

Well, I don't think I'm being extreme. When Christians got control of the Roman Empire they outlawed the sciences and closed all the astronomical observatories. The intellectuals that disagreed with them were put to death and libraries were burned. Pursuit of knowledge was condemned and replaced with superstition and dogma.......then came the dark ages.

I was surprised when reading some ancient Greek documents that survived that hundreds of years BCE people already knew the world was billions of years old...not 6000. I used to post on a christian forum and that was a scary wake up call to me. Pure hatred for the human race in general, but always dressed up with Jesus jingles. Every post by fellow Christian posters was purged from the site if it didn't meet the narrow worldview of the evangelical, rapture ready, republican "church".

I could tell you more in detail but I'd end up writing a book. But the bottom line is this, never understimate the evangelicals, never give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to politics. They're capable of anything. But honestly believe they're "gawd's people"...the "good people" and that everyone that disagrees with them are "evil"....one of satan's minions.

Check out these quotes: http://www.sullivan-county.com/nf0/fundien...ndie_quotes.htm

I heard most of those firsthand over Christian radio stations back when I was still in the "cult". For over 20 yrs they've made no secret of what they plan to do, given the chance.

The singularity is near.

Over 1000 years?

Existence of the world itself, uncertain. Mankind itself, uncertain. If both exist, artificial intelligence, almost sure. Space travel, large scale. Space travel speed, uncertain, might still be low. Energy problems, zero. Religion, zero. Spirituality, abundant. Sex, an art. Languages, disappearing and appearing. Food, enough, problem shifted from quantity to quality distribution. Age, 100s of years. Medicine, on the level of regeneration of limbs and organs. Working behind a computer screen, disappeared 900 years ago. Books, historical material. Cloths, none. Skin, painted against temperature, containing wearables. Genetic disease, some light ones, maintained from spiritual viewpoint. Average feeling of happiness, same as now or only slightly improved. :)

Agree with SM,

Mankind won't even be "mankind" as we know it right now. Within 50 years from now we'll have made almost everything in our body replicated or artificially. We'll become more than human, and unfortunately we might change what we are. We might not even be "individuals" the way we think today. Society will become a stronger organism, and the "body" will be more than just my or your physical body.

That's what I think were we're going, or we'll die as a species on the way there.

Besides that, 1000 years from now, we'll (as a social organism) might have settled the Moon, Mars, and several asteroids for mining. And maybe even starting to reach out to the closest planets outside our solar system.

Our religion will be different. We won't call it Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, or anything else, but we still will have beliefs of many kinds. Some even might be wrong, and some very imaginary, but we--as humans--do visualize, imagine, dream, and believe.

The thing is, so much has changed in the past century. Before now the world was largely the same over the last how many thousand years. But the dawn of technology, the information age, all that, will have had to make its mark. I would predict religion, as we know it, will have come to an end in 1000 years.