Goodbye Jesus

Religious Tattoos

Gobbler

Since many people feel tattoos are an art form I will submit this post here. My question though is if any of you have any religious themed tattoos and how do you feel about them now. My first tattoo was an eagle. Several years later I added a banner under it with the bible verse Isaiah 40:31 to go along with the eagle theme. I still have that one. I also have a tribal triumvirate when I was really into POD. I put a bloody wooden cross under it with the words beneath "Jah Ride On" and "Payable on Death". Then I had a tribal christ complete with thorn of crowns done several years after that. Since my deconversion obviously my philosophies have changed. How does one deal with it? I've had the tribal christ tat covered with a beautiful grizzly bear with bear claws. Covered it up nicely. I still have yet to cover the other ones yet I plan to in the near future. Anyone else with similar experiences?

I have quite a bit of ink. I came close to a massive cross on my back but never did. (Now I'm glad) If I were you, I wouldn't sweat it. It was a period of your life. So be it. It is art. If you can get a GOOD cover up go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with it.

I have quite a bit of ink. I came close to a massive cross on my back but never did. (Now I'm glad) If I were you, I wouldn't sweat it. It was a period of your life. So be it. It is art. If you can get a GOOD cover up go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with it.

Oh yes the covers are well thought out and mostly of an animal theme I have in mind. Like you, I almost got a christian fish that expanded into a Star of David which further expanded to a menorah. Kind of like a gentile grafted into the jewish covenant sort of thing going on there. Glad I didn't get that one! :phew:

Oh yes the covers are well thought out and mostly of an animal theme I have in mind. Like you, I almost got a christian fish that expanded into a Star of David which further expanded to a menorah. Kind of like a gentile grafted into the jewish covenant sort of thing going on there. Glad I didn't get that one! :phew:

Dodged one there :lmao:

I don't think my church would approve tatoos. In fact,I almost know,which verse of the OT they would quote.

I don't think my church would approve tatoos. In fact,I almost know,which verse of the OT they would quote.

Yeah, I'm just waitin for mom to pull that shit with me again. Then I'll tell her Deut 22:20-21 concerning marrying a non-virgin

“But if this charge is true, that the girl was not found a virgin, 21 then they shall bring out the girl to the doorway of her father’s house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death because she has committed an act of folly in Israel by playing the harlot in her father’s house; thus you shall purge the evil from among you.

Most Christians I know, the religious ones, have a problem with tattoos. But then again with the whole idiot-glazed moronic "Jesus Freak" crusade which attempts to blend fundamentalism and sobbingly bad "punk" music, I've seen a few followers stabbed with piercings and ink, all for Jesus.

I never got one simply because I couldn't find a design that would stick with me. I don't think I will ever get one simply because the artwork will morph over time and I will probably find myself hating it in the future. Piercings are another thing for me; even though I don't have a single piercing (not even the typical ear lob piercing), I would like to get a nostril and lip piercing.

I never found a cartoon or photo that I liked well enough to engrave it permanently on my skin. I'd rather just look at a picture.

A Xian friend once told me that nose rings were from the devil, but earrings are fine. I didn't quote him the verse from the OT (Gen 24) about the nose ring given to the fiance of Issac.

I recently met a friend with quite a lot of tattoos. He apparently used to be a nazi and has a swastika on his arm (among other tattoos).

He's keeping it as a reminder of his past and who he used to be. He doesn't want to go back, he's a really decent guy nowadays, but it's still part of who he is.

I liked that approach.

I'm totally addicted to ink. I would have full sleeves if not for my work. All of mine are black. I have tribal designs, my daughter's initials, and ambigram with the same saying as my wife's (we got them before the wedding) I will continue to grow my collection.

• 2 weeks later...

My only xtian tattoo is very small an inconspicuous, but I actually like that I have it. For all those people who accuse us of never having been "true" xtians I can show them that proof. You don't put something permanent on your body unless you think it's going to be a permanent part of who you are. I'm leaving it. Besides, it's the sort of thing that I can pass off as just another celtic symbol if I don't want to explain my entire life story.

This is why I advocate t-shirts over tattoos. With a t-shirt, the fabric starts to wear out around the same time that you get tired of the message on the front. With a tattoo, you're stuck with it until you can pay some guy to change it. Even as a lifelong atheist, there is nothing I would want to put on my body that I could see still wanting there five...ten...fifteen years from now. Nothing.

Although, if I had to put a deity on my skin, it would probably be Zues or Thor, since they kick way more ass than Jesus.

Was never old enough to get a tat when I was a hardcore Christian (thank Bacchus for that!) but I did get a tat shortly after my deconversion that I feel explains my journey quite well. I didn't get it with that purpose in mind, it was a sweet design of my favorite character from Greek mythology at first but I've grown into it and what it represents :grin:

• 2 weeks later...
Since many people feel tattoos are an art form I will submit this post here. My question though is if any of you have any religious themed tattoos and how do you feel about them now. My first tattoo was an eagle. Several years later I added a banner under it with the bible verse Isaiah 40:31 to go along with the eagle theme. I still have that one. I also have a tribal triumvirate when I was really into POD. I put a bloody wooden cross under it with the words beneath "Jah Ride On" and "Payable on Death". Then I had a tribal christ complete with thorn of crowns done several years after that. Since my deconversion obviously my philosophies have changed. How does one deal with it? I've had the tribal christ tat covered with a beautiful grizzly bear with bear claws. Covered it up nicely. I still have yet to cover the other ones yet I plan to in the near future. Anyone else with similar experiences?

I almost got that same tribal triumvirate from POD. I am so fucking glad I didn't!!!