Goodbye Jesus

Dna And Evolution

PandaPirate

I was at TGIFriday's one afternoon drinking a beautiful glass of Landshark beer when this lady asks me what I'm reading. At the time I was reading a book called Intelligence in Nature by anthropologist Jeremy Narby. She then asked me, "What exactly does an anthropologist do?" When I mentioned human evolution she said, "Oh, I don't believe in Evolution."

I wanted to be polite so I refrained from asking her, "Well, do you belive in DNA?"

My question to everyone here is this: How is it that in light of scientific evidence and DNA which proves we are all related to some degree or another how do Christians still delude themselves? At what point in human evolution will we finally decide to classify belief in a supernatural, invisible sky king a DELUSION? A psychiatric disorder?

Oh my. That is not a hard one.

They say things like, "Similarities and commonalities are evidence of a common creator".

You have no idea how many times I have read that sort of things.

• Super Moderator

A little off topic, but, ahhhhh - Landshark!

(We must have a common Creator. See? Back on topic!)

Christians will cling to any insane logic that defends their belief systems. They will ussually claim that DNA is proof of a common designer rather then common root.

If you really want to stick it to them, point out that by rejecting evolution they are essentially accepting belief in an enormous conspiracy theory. Far far larger then they realize. Experiments that depends on evolution and natural selection having truth behind them are extremely numerous. By rejecting evolution, they are accusing 99% of the scientific community of being part of an elaborate plan to delude the masses and draw them away from their fantasies...which is just fucking ridiculous. The more people who know about it, the harder a secret is to keep. There is simply no way a hoax could exist on that magnitude.

The thing evolution denying Christians do not realize is that most creation "scientists" have absolutely no understanding of the science they are talking about. Creationism is a movement comprised of very very few real scientists, and millions of ignorant "me to's" who mass-parrot whatever they are told without ever bothering to check if the data matches up. Venomfang X ? Parrot. Ben stein ? Parrot. Most creationists on youtube are also parrots. This is why creationists have the same arguments over and over again: They never bother to see if what they are saying has already been debunked.

Unfortunately, America seems to be the land of the ignorant. Every christian I ever knew that rejected evolution didn't have the faintest idea of what evolution IS. They didn't want to know, so they accepted whatever the church said about it. I think this chosen ignorance is the root cause today, and it won't change as long as they refuse to become knowledgable. Also, educators need to take control of our schools-not parents and churches.

Well, I'd still like to come back in about 2000 years and see if people are classified as psychotic for believing in religion.

Come back in 2000 years and you'll find exactly what we have today. People who believe silly and ridiculous things thinking they're perfectly reasonable, looking back through history at the mythologies of ancient cultures and wondering how they could possibly have believed such silly and ridiculous things. 'Course, 2000 years from now they probably won't be called Christians, but I'm more than cynical enough to believe they'll still be there.

Since I stopped going to church in 1987, I started thinking about things in a slightly more openminded way about God.

(Ack, in a way I was unwittingly deconverting for about twenty years.) One of the the things I thought might be possible, was that all other living things evolved, but mankind was a special case, that God specifically designed us as we are now, and humans didn't evolve, we were ready made.

Seems awfully silly now.

At what point in human evolution will we finally decide to classify belief in a supernatural, invisible sky king a DELUSION? A psychiatric disorder?
Never.

Though not believing in evolution will be considered stupid, just as not believing in earth as a globe, and just as not believing in earth as only one of a dozen of planets circling around the sun.

The king will be dethroned too. Mankind will have much more creative ways to include the supernatural. Philosophy, e.g. Plato's ideas, is way too boring. There are many more interesting approaches to think about that what is not yet there, not yet explained or never thought about before. Fluidity, spirituality, may change my view on the world.

I think things will be a lot different. I imagine religious nuts being told to take some sort of SSRI. :P

Creationists don't believe in evolution because for their family line, it never happened. Some say they are not descended from monkeys (and neither are we) but I think they may be descended from donkey like animals. There is always: "it's only a theory" but gravity is only a theory too.

It seems that people with low IQ's either become criminals or creationists. I'm not sure which is worst.

It seems that people with low IQ's either become criminals or creationists. I'm not sure which is worst.

In Ken Hovinds case, he became both. :)