Goodbye Jesus

I've Joined The Gnostics

hereticzero

I've joined the Universal Gnostics.

Anyone else a member?

So far I find the teachings acceptable, to my brain and heart anyway. Anyone with opinions on the Gnostics?

Interesting. Do the modern Gnostics follow the same or similar teachings as the ones from the first centuries?

Ok, I'll bite. What part of this doesn't scream bullshit to you? Or am I just not in on the joke?

Interesting. Do the modern Gnostics follow the same or similar teachings as the ones from the first centuries?

I don't know. I wasn't there.

I am just starting to explore this area so I imagine I will learn more.

Ok, I'll bite. What part of this doesn't scream bullshit to you? Or am I just not in on the joke?

It is a personal spiritual quest for knowledge. It is what you want it to be. There are no rules that demand acceptance of religious instruction you cannot bring yourself to believe. Bullshit to some is knowledge to others.

I think gnosticism is interesting, although I don't know very much about it. I have had a couple e-mails with Rev. Troy Pierce of Ecclesia Gnostica in Salt Lake City, and listened to one of his podcasts. He seems like a very intelligent person.

http://gnosis.org/eghome.htm

I am not sure if this is the same as Universal Gnostics.

It is a personal spiritual quest for knowledge. It is what you want it to be. There are no rules that demand acceptance of religious instruction you cannot bring yourself to believe. Bullshit to some is knowledge to others.

Damn HZ, you sound just like those blank-eyed zombies that show up at my door now and then, except your line of shit varies slightly.

From the Universalist Gnostic website:

Gnostic Fellowship are consecrated under Gnostic and Apostolic Succession initiated by the Master Jesus and Mary Magdalene and the Apostles Peter, Andrew, James, Jude, Bartholomew, and Thomas. The Gnostic lines also include earlier lineages from the Masters Enoch and Melchizedek.

That ain't no "spiritual quest" and knowledge left their town long ago. I stand by my bullshit call.

Damn HZ, you sound just like those blank-eyed zombies that show up at my door now and then, except your line of shit varies slightly.

Gnostic Fellowship are consecrated under Gnostic and Apostolic Succession initiated by the Master Jesus and Mary Magdalene and the Apostles Peter, Andrew, James, Jude, Bartholomew, and Thomas. The Gnostic lines also include earlier lineages from the Masters Enoch and Melchizedek.

That ain't no "spiritual quest" and knowledge left their town long ago. I stand by my bullshit call.

Apparently the Gnostics I've found are a bit different as they don't teach apostolic succession. I would not have cruised the site if they did. I had searched for the same bullshit on their site but they did not have anything like the Peter, Paul and Marys on it. I guess the one I found is of a different bent than the one of the early church. I use eye drops so my eyes don't get as glazed over. I think these others are new agers. I'm looking for something that does not insist on being 'Christian at a distance' while maintaining it is different from Christianity. This is because I cannot get past a notion there may be a God and if there is, just what exactly is this God.

Universal Gnostics claim every person pursues their own spirituality. I imagine they do have groups that remain loyal to the Christian Gnostics. I am interested in those that do not. I think this group are also universalists. It may be fun. I've been told I am too narrow minded so I am broadening my horizons. I still have the Flying Spaghetti Monster to fall back on.

http://universalgnostic.com/

I've joined the Universal Gnostics.

Anyone else a member?

So far I find the teachings acceptable, to my brain and heart anyway. Anyone with opinions on the Gnostics?

Very cool. I always thought the mystic teachings of the gnostics made a lot more sense than other things.

It's not like he's forcing you to join with him. Damn, why can't people just let them believe what the fuck they wanna believe?

If you can visit their website and ask that with a straight face, I give up. Join the fucking dipshits for jebus. It's still a looney tunes bunch and that will become apparent as he gets further "into" it.

Yeah but you gotta let him take that path for himself.

Universal Gnostics claim every person pursues their own spirituality. I imagine they do have groups that remain loyal to the Christian Gnostics. I am interested in those that do not. I think this group are also universalists. It may be fun. I've been told I am too narrow minded so I am broadening my horizons. I still have the Flying Spaghetti Monster to fall back on.

Not the same group I knew about, but its OK by me. Hope you have found what you are looking for, Heretic.

I love the responses, keep 'em comin'!

Not like I'm starting a religion, no wait, yes I am. I'll let you know what it is when I'm done. Are there any heretic Saints?

Seriously folks, this is a matter of curiousity. How can I argue and be a pain in the ass with people if I don't know what to argue about? I know Christianity but not the other flavors outside mainstream xtianity. If gnosticism gives me more to ponder, how is that wrong? I'm already burned out on Christianity and I do not find total atheism fulfilling, so what is left? There are many questions I have that evolution and atheism do not answer. Every choice we make is catagorized, so if I say I am studying the Gnostics then everyone assumes I'm returning to Peter, Paul and Mary. Which is not the case. If I say I am exploring paganism then everyone assumes I am Wiccan or other such group. Evolution of life begins with life but is not concerned with how life got here. Ah ha, you say that is incorrect but Darwin's Theory of evolution is not about the origin of life but natural selection among species already alive. So what makes our little spot in the universe so special? And why? Christianity does not answer this, paganism does not, evolution does not. What does? I don't know and so I am searching to find out the why's. This gnosticism is one stop along the way to finding out.

Which Gnostics have the correct information? None of them and all of them. There is gnosis in everything. We have gnostic gardeners, gnostic Christians, gnostic pagans, even evolution is gnostic and atheism is gnostic--information is every where you look. All education is gnostic. Gnosticism is the pursuit of knowledge, what you seek is up to you. The study of science is a gnostic endeavor. Anthropology, astronomy, they all have information to discover. Gnosticism is the exploration for answers.

There's one thing I heard about Gnostics which is something I did have a personal experience of, and it's the whole idea about the difference of knowledge learned and knowledge experienced. I have learned things over the years, but a few times I have had like a vision, or a realization of things I've learned, but on a level where I got the conceptual image in my head, instead of pure knowing how and what. It's the Eureka! moment, and it's very cool. It's like suddenly really understanding it, and not just knowing it.

• Super Moderator
All education is gnostic.

It's like the motto of Faber College:

"Knowledge is good."

(For the younger reader, that's an Animal House reference.)

You said in your OP

I've joined the Universal Gnostics

That's quite different from

so if I say I am studying the Gnostics then everyone assumes I'm returning to Peter, Paul and Mary. Which is not the case.

Studying and joining are vastly different.

There's one thing I heard about Gnostics which is something I did have a personal experience of, and it's the whole idea about the difference of knowledge learned and knowledge experienced. I have learned things over the years, but a few times I have had like a vision, or a realization of things I've learned, but on a level where I got the conceptual image in my head, instead of pure knowing how and what. It's the Eureka! moment, and it's very cool. It's like suddenly really understanding it, and not just knowing it.

That's a very cool experience. I've sat and meditated for periods of time and come to answers within myself and then when I've gone to check the facts it's true. I'm like, "damn, how the hell could I have possibly known that?" It's spooky sometimes.

Cool. Let us know what you find with this group.

And you asked for a heretic saint?

Cool. Let us know what you find with this group.

And you asked for a heretic saint?

Yeppers. I've been trying to think of who to elect as the first heretic saint. Galileo maybe? He got the church P-O'd. Maybe one of my favorite philosophers Spinoza? He was excommunicated by the Jews. Anyone who can pizz off a religion like that can't be all bad.

• 1 month later...
Guest RougeWolf22

I believe the Gnostics are the believes of the Mystics of Christ who read the writes of Judes and Mary M.(the wife of Jesus) please free to correct me if I'm wrong. If that is in fact the sect I'm thinking of I scratch the surface of the beliefs and found it interesting and baffing at the same time. For I believe that Jesus was a holy man and in fact taught many lesson that truly wasn't understood by current beliefs. So let me know if I'm in fact right, how it's going for you, and if you don't mind tell me your thoughts on the Gnostics.

Maybe one of my favorite philosophers Spinoza? He was excommunicated by the Jews. Anyone who can pizz off a religion like that can't be all bad.

I would recommend a study of Spinoza's life and philosophy. He was formally excommunicated by his Jewish community, which at the time he lived, was a severe hardship. He never cared to accumulate any material goods. One of the greatest minds of his age, he made a living by grinding lenses. When he died, there was nothing left in his estate. His real purpose in life was his philosophy, of course. It is a true gem. It takes some effort, but read "The Ethics".

A good book of "distilled" gnosticism is Illumination by Christan Amundsen.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest goodfaith

I don't know anything about modern gnostics ( maybe I should! ) but this concept of all is part of 'God' has come into mainstream christianity with Unity church, and I also think the Nag Hammadi texts- which are the oldest recorded words of Jesus- should be more noted by christians.

All religion is syncretic- it's all influenced by the cultures where it develops, from gnosticsim catholicism ( Divine Sophia) gets Mary & this alpha to omega idea of god.

Joan of Arc was a heretic- to the english at least- who became a saint through martyrdom.

I researched this when I deconverted and figured it wasn't for me. Best of luck.