Goodbye Jesus

What If You Became A Ghost When You Died?

Tabula Rasa

Hey folks, not trying to change anyone's minds one way or another, just a what if for you:

If when you died, you found out there was an afterlife,(assume it's pleasant) would you come back as a ghost and try to leave messages or other evidence to let people know that death was not the end?

I think I would. I'd especially take pains to leave a paranormal researcher plenty of evidence via video of yours truly moving things, typing on keyboards, manifesting my ghostly image, and make sure it was evidence that couldn't be easily debunked.

What would you guys do?

• Super Moderator

I'm sure everyone would like to leave some proof that they survived death. Many have made pacts with their friends and relatives to give them a certain sign of their presence after passing (Houdini is a famous example).

So far, no luck.

I certainly would try. Based on historical evidence, I highly doubt that I would be successful, but I would try.

I would assume that once I was there, I would be laughing so hard at how silly we all have been about what it would be like, that I would not want to ruin the fun for everyone "left behind".....actually I hope that if there is an afterlife, it is more like a Next Life, and I'd be too busy living that life to care about reconnecting with those in this one...just wait until they pop up in the next.....

I hope there is an afterlife. -- I asked my son once if he wanted me to try and make contact if there is and he said "no". He said he wanted to live this life and if I was a ghost he'd see me when he became one.

You know, growing up around Christians in the bible belt, everyone also believed in ghosts.....but it was one more of those little things that made me question christianity....because....if there are ghosts it's further proof that christianity isn't true.

I don't believe in god even if there are ghosts. To me it means that ghosts "just are" like we "just are" and they don't know anymore than we do about how they came to exist...they possess no "superpowers"...and nobody is in charge of the whole thing. It would just be the way it is, in a different dimension (which would mean it's part of the natural universe) and you'd have to adapt just as we have to adapt as mortals in this dimension of the natural universe.

If it does turn out to be true there'd be a few people I'd like to scare the living shit out of if it's possible lol....

A ghost? Then my "girls locker room" fantasy would finally come true.

I'd come back just to fuck with people I don't like. Hey preacher, BOO and stuff.

My answer is similar to Par's except I would try to become as holy as possible then I'd go around banging virgins so they could raise my bastard human/ghost hybrids as potential sacrificial fodder. I would also possess people and make then speak like idiots (more so than usual). These are the only logical things to do.

mwc

I sure hope there's no such think as ghosts. Because if there are, then that means I'd likely encounter assholes like Jerry Fallwell and Oral Roberts. And I'd have no way to kill the stupid shits because they'd be dead already. :scratch:

I would have so much fun. So far, I would haunt my high school's choir room and scare the shit out of the jocks who are only there to get their creative arts credit, and I would take cops on a wild chase during the night just to have the car disappear.

The world would be MINE!!!

Free access to everything from movies to "sold out" Broadway.

How about a stroll around the bottom of the ocean?

Evesdropping? Voyeurism? :pureevil:

Find Osama. Make faces at him. Because I *could*.

Work on trying to move stuff. Hide people's keys.

Get into their sock drawers and steal all the left ones.

Assuming this whole "ghost" thing pans out, we'll totally have to meet up and pool our slightly annoying efforts.

Get into their sock drawers and steal all the left ones.

Assuming this whole "ghost" thing pans out, we'll totally have to meet up and pool our slightly annoying efforts.

Geez woodsmoke I must already have a ghost at my place already then...I am always losing the one side to a pair of socks. Is there a sock heaven somewhere...? or maybe someone is secretly pilfering them. Or better yet theres a supernatural vortex in my washing machine, wonder if I could escape through it too?

• Super Moderator
I am always losing the one side to a pair of socks.

That phenomenon is due to the Underwear Gnomes. To attribute it to ghosts would be silly.

If I were a ghost...

I'd do all the stuff I do at school now, but they can't get me in trouble because hey! I'm fricking dead! :grin:

Though to be fair I rarely get in trouble at school anyway... I never get caught :fdevil:

oh, and stupid boy who wouldn't respect my boundaries? muahahahaha. :fdevil:

1. Steal underpants

2. ???

3. Profit

But seriously, I don't think I would leave any proof of life after death. I find life has more meaning to it when it's status of being finite or not is either a negative or a mystery.

Well of course you don't carry out your mischief in such an obvious way as to give away away the whole deal. Ya' gotta' be sneaky about it, only do things that can be rationalized away or which just seem too bizarre to be possible. Just like the ghosts currently haunting all of us do. ;)

I am always losing the one side to a pair of socks.

That phenomenon is due to the Underwear Gnomes. To attribute it to ghosts would be silly.

florduh I just loooove your dry sense of humour..it tickles me so. :HaHa:

I would visit all places on Earth first, then I would go to the Moon, Mars, the other planets in our solar system, then other star systems, and investigate the galaxy, and perhaps the universe. I'd go as far as I could until it all went *poof*.

Or maybe I would haunt a couple of libraries first and read as much as I ever could.

But Par's idea is pretty good too. :)

I hope there is an afterlife. -- I asked my son once if he wanted me to try and make contact if there is and he said "no". He said he wanted to live this life and if I was a ghost he'd see me when he became one.

You know, growing up around Christians in the bible belt, everyone also believed in ghosts.....but it was one more of those little things that made me question christianity....because....if there are ghosts it's further proof that christianity isn't true.

I don't believe in god even if there are ghosts. To me it means that ghosts "just are" like we "just are" and they don't know anymore than we do about how they came to exist...they possess no "superpowers"...and nobody is in charge of the whole thing. It would just be the way it is, in a different dimension (which would mean it's part of the natural universe) and you'd have to adapt just as we have to adapt as mortals in this dimension of the natural universe.

If it does turn out to be true there'd be a few people I'd like to scare the living shit out of if it's possible lol....

Really, I don't think that the wholly babble and ghosties are incompatible. In the OT, god allows for the existence of other gods by saying 'thou shalt have no other gods before me' and never once says those other gods don't exist, by the way. So, if there ARE other gods (according to yaweh) there must be other afterlives, Q.E.D! Who's to say that one of the options isn't being a ghost if you didn't want to spend eternity sucking up to some deity?

If I became a ghost, I would follow those Ghost Hunter guys around wherever they went. I love that show! Grant is a cutie!!

I would visit all places on Earth first, then I would go to the Moon, Mars, the other planets in our solar system, then other star systems, and investigate the galaxy, and perhaps the universe. I'd go as far as I could until it all went *poof*.

Even as a ghost, I would be too afraid to visit other planets. Mars and Venus would be tantalizing, but again, I would be afraid.

Even as a ghost, I would be too afraid to visit other planets. Mars and Venus would be tantalizing, but again, I would be afraid.

I'd want to make sure my ghostly hover and flying skills were augmented by some serious understanding of space navigation first.

I'd want to make sure my ghostly hover and flying skills were augmented by some serious understanding of space navigation first.

Well, you don't have to worry about air or food at least.

Another fun thing would be to go to some Churches and haunt them. And they get some exorcist there and you just hide for a while then come back, and annoy the hell out of them.

The thing that really bugged me about the evangenital movement (1980 to the present) in regards to ghosts is that they made a point of telling people that if their dead relatives ghosts tried to contact them.....that it was a demon in disguise trying to trick them.. because the dead relative's "soul" would either have gone to heaven or hell. They say the same thing about UFOs.

I figured, shit, if one did become a ghost and did try to make contact then the person you were trying to contact would think you were a demon. It's like the "church" tries to control everything.

I do agree with what you're saying about the OT but christians cherry pick the whole buy-bull... and of course the buy-bull is so contradictory to begin with..and then there's the fact that the buy-bull is man-made from start to finish. The ancient writer's and the present day "church's" guesses about gods, ghosts etc are no better or valid than anyone else's.

To be quite honest, the concept of many gods, would make more sense than one god. There's not just one human being on planet earth so why would there be just one god....polytheism also makes more sense when the question of why does evil exist in the world. When I read writings from the ancient greeks and romans their attitude toward the gods at least makes some reasonable sense from a theological standpoint even though I don't see any evidence for the existence of god, gods, goddesses.

Hey folks, not trying to change anyone's minds one way or another, just a what if for you:

If when you died, you found out there was an afterlife,(assume it's pleasant) would you come back as a ghost and try to leave messages or other evidence to let people know that death was not the end?

I think I would. I'd especially take pains to leave a paranormal researcher plenty of evidence via video of yours truly moving things, typing on keyboards, manifesting my ghostly image, and make sure it was evidence that couldn't be easily debunked.

What would you guys do?

Hell yeah I'm comin' back whether or not there's an afterlife. I'm all that.

To be very, honest, at times, I fear that when I die, I'll immediately turn all peaceful and heavenly and lose my ambition to get back at every snot-nosed asshole who's made my life hell.