Goodbye Jesus

Where in Biology Do I Start??

Guest SerenityNow

Guest SerenityNow

I'm so inspired to learn about biology but when I typed it into my library search engine, a TON of things popped up. I'm mostly looking to conquer the crap instilled by creationist pov....

This is the link for book title recommendations under "Evolution Biology" http://ibistro.wfrl.lib.fl.us/uhtbin/cgisi...SUBJECT/GENERAL

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I'm glad you find these sites helpful. Creationism is a disease, Evolution is the cure.

Guest Joseph
I'm glad you find these sites helpful.  Creationism is a disease, Evolution is the cure.

I would say that Creationism is blind faith in an ancient text translated literally while the scientifically reproducable evidence demonstrates evolutionary adaptation over billions of years. Creationism as a disease might be a good catch phrase but it would be so offensive to many that they would turn their minds off before they even attempted to look at the science behind evolutionary theory and abiogenesis hypothesis.

A better way to look at it is that creationism is the most simplistic of claims which goes without foundation, that of "God did it." It does not lead us to any conclusions, does not present a testable hypothesis, nor does it generate science from the statement. It is a blind faith idea and nothing more. In fact, it is without demonstration by definition of being a supernatural act done by a supernatural entity. Evolutionary theory however gives us real science that is testable on various levels (genetic/DNA/RNA, genetic history, incorporation of outside genetic sources into a given population, mutations, the same faults existing within common groups such a primates). It leads to new discoveries and new medicines and brings us closer to understand the HOW. It is not concerned so much with the why or the who...but the HOW. And that is the fundamental difference from creationism's dead end.

Creationism as a disease might be a good catch phrase but it would be so offensive to many that they would turn their minds off before they even attempted to look at the science behind evolutionary theory and abiogenesis hypothesis.

Well, it is a meme, and memes have been theorized to be mind viruses. So, anything's possible. ;)

And for that article by Richard Dawkins see here

Thanks Amethyst :grin: